Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why everyone are in love in original saga character instead of the book ones

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Why everyone are in love in original saga character instead of the book ones

Sewerus
03.22.2012 , 05:32 PM | #1
I mean characters, like darth vader, han solo, luke and etc.

The expanded universe had much more to offer:

Characters like:
Grand Admiral Thrawn, Mara Jade, Jaina Solo, Tenel ka Djo, Kypp durron, Talon Karrde etc.

So why the star wars from 80's are so loved even now, when those new character have more rich story, are more interesting and overall are better.

Not to mention Darth Revan and Bastila Shan, ancient dark lords like Naga Sadow, Marka Ragnos, Ajunta Pall etc.

So my question is this why they are so fancy, why people are interested in them instead of the new ones ?

Any thoughts ?
From the shards of tattered dreams, I rose - unwilling... Tossed upon tides of pain that flowed and ebbed and left me searingly awake. And more revoltingly - alive.

amantheil
03.22.2012 , 05:41 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Sewerus View Post

Characters like:
Grand Admiral Thrawn, Mara Jade, Jaina Solo, Tenel ka Djo, Kypp durron, Talon Karrde etc.

So why the star wars from 80's are so loved even now, when those new character have more rich story, are more interesting and overall are better.

Not to mention Darth Revan and Bastila Shan, ancient dark lords like Naga Sadow, Marka Ragnos, Ajunta Pall etc.

So my question is this why they are so fancy, why people are interested in them instead of the new ones ?

Any thoughts ?

I'd think it would be obvious.

A lot more people have seen the movies than have read the books. Even people who have read the books, grew up on the movies and have childhood memories of them. And they only read the books after watching the movies and falling in love with them that way.

And plus, while I've only read a few of the books - they just weren't any good. Maybe they've improved. There are a lot of them, and you'll have variable quality. But I read a couple and didn't really have any desire to read more.

I'll grant you that the three prequel movies are abominably bad in their own right.

Darth_Gao_Gao
03.22.2012 , 05:42 PM | #3
probably because most people don't read star wars books? lol?

Wolfninjajedi
03.22.2012 , 05:48 PM | #4
Because not only were the OT characters in the movies, but they also have books of them too. So ontop of that being in the movies, they have books...where as the book(or EU) characters only have books and the OT chars are further expanded on from the movies and you can relate to them better then any EU character that you mentioned.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

GnatB
03.22.2012 , 05:50 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Gao_Gao View Post
probably because most people don't read star wars books? lol?
This. That being said, my favorite character is from the books. And I've largely designed my main as a great great great... ...great great ancestor.

Toonimator
03.22.2012 , 06:05 PM | #6
Yeah, not enough Star Wars fans have even heard of, let alone read, the books. Most seem to assume them to be glorified fan fiction, and if they read one and didn't like it, they dismiss the rest.

But I love the EU, tho I haven't read much of the recent stuff aside from comics; one of my characters is named (and modeled, aside from having blue eyes) after Kol Skywalker, Luke's great-great-great-something-grandson. Judging by how many EU names I tried for various characters when rolling on my server, EU characters ARE pretty popular. Soooo many were already taken

TheLonelyTusken
03.22.2012 , 06:20 PM | #7
Because it seems most people don't like anything "new" about Star Wars and are trapped in the 70's and 80's.
/waveshands

You want to go home and rethink your life...

LemmingLeader
03.22.2012 , 06:23 PM | #8
In terms of the Original Trilogy, the chemistry between the main cast was outstanding. Darth Vader? A great villain that persisted through all 3 movies. Some cheesey, but great lines for the movies also.

"It's a trap!"
"I got a bad feeling about this."
"When I left you Obi-Wan, I was but the learner, now I am the master."
"A more civilized weapon. For a more civilized time. Before the dark times. Before the Empire."
"Evacuate?!? In our moment of triumph? I think you overestimate their chances!"
Red squadron members sounding off before the attack runs on the Death Star
"Stay on target..."
"You have failed me for the last time, admiral."
"Impressive!... Most impressive!"
"Cover me, Porkins!"
"I am your Father!"
"These aren't the droids we're looking for."

JediRyuk
03.22.2012 , 07:23 PM | #9
More people watched the movies than the extended universe. They recognize the names more than others.

Same with almost any other media. Halo series for me. Read the books, no one really cares.
╬╬╬╬╬╬|\ ░█████████████████████████████████████ị

Captain_Zone
03.22.2012 , 07:42 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Sewerus View Post

Characters like:

Any thoughts ?
Winter, Kir Kanos, Darth Talon, Wrenga Jixton, Empatojayos Brand (my vote for Greatest Jedi of all time), Mirith Sinn, Dass Jennir, etc. There are a LOT of them out there. Oh, and Zayne Carrick and Jarael!
. OPOD
The New Jedi Code: "Keep Calm & Carry a Lightsaber"