Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Pvp vs Pve server

Sigleaf
12.16.2011 , 03:31 PM | #1
My question relates to the fact that SWTOR has a dedicated PvP zone Ilum, and could possibly include more zones like this.

This is my hypothesis. On PvP servers, this zone will be near barren or not nearly as active as on PvE servers if there is an adequate reward because the majority of the population will be busy pvping in other zones or ganking, therefore, whats the point of rolling on pvp if you can still enjoy mass pvp on Ilum?

Statements
12.16.2011 , 03:38 PM | #2
This was my point to my guild all along. It seems that playing on a PvE server actually gives you more incentive to do the open world PvP because it isnt 'the norm'.

I have played on PvE servers my entire MMO career and it is solely because I hate being ganked AND camped. If I die then so be it, but if the perpetrator(usually a no life max level attacking alts) just sits there time after time and does not relent to /begs then I get really pissed off.

The funny thing is, especially on WoW, I have had no trouble engaging in open world PvP while playing a PvE server. There was nearly always a fight going on at Tarren Mill, and an even better one raging in The Barrens or the Alliance version of the Barrens. Whats great about these open world PvP encounters on a PvE server is, if you didnt want to join in as a super low level then you didnt have to. So while 60 vs 60 combat was all around the level 18s could just quest as usual and not be casualties of cross fire.

Sigleaf
12.16.2011 , 03:39 PM | #3
^^ Smart man

Thaonnor
12.16.2011 , 03:46 PM | #4
I'm seriously considering switching over to a PvE server. With the Ilum, Tatooine and future PvP areas and war zones, I am really seeing no advantage at this point to playing on a PvP server unless you want to be part of pre-mades in war zones.

The issue I'm having now is that I am currently NOT part of a large PvP guild and being on a PvP server without being in a large PvP guild is pretty much asking to be put up against pre-mades with a random group.

I love the occasional leveling gank/fight/camp as much as everyone else on a PvP server, but I'm just not sure it is worth it to be up against so many pre-mades if I am unwilling to commit to a guild yet.

Brytshadow
12.16.2011 , 03:49 PM | #5
I've played both sides of that fence. Personally I prefer pvp servers. But we as a guild decided to go pve & if you're playing for story, then I think pve is by far the best way to go. All in all, I don't have to worry about gankers & getting my revenge except for in the pvp zones.
Brytshadow of
B.A.D. aka Bunnies and Deals