Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Does SWTOR feel like "Your Story"?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore > Spoilers

AAmedeo
03.22.2012 , 01:42 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Urael View Post
Interesting view. In my opinion, I feel we all have a free will to do as we choose. I agree with you that what we "feel" may not always be the correct option. However, I don't condone a "going along to get along" method as one may have to do in a corporate situation if it contradicts the truth. The truth is the truth even if noone believes it. A lie is a lie even if everyone belives it.

There are times in many of the storylines where you may have someone you think is close to you betray you. And you don't always have the option to deal with the betrayal as you may react to it as it happens. There are times in the story where you choose an LS option that doesn't seem to be very "good" and an DS option that doesn't seem to be very "bad". There are many times where LS and DS options are basically a bit of grey moral relativism.

In the end for me, the story doesn't feel like mine and to be honest both sides of the conflict in this war are pretty reprehensable. The empire is machiavellian on steroids and the Republic is just out and out right corrupt. I don't feel for either side.
You were responding to me. Don't get me wrong. I have principals and ethics. I don't "go along to get along". But I admit to weighing my options and choosing which I can use to my best advantage. Life seldom gives us the opportunity to choose what we are totally happy with.

My main is a "Light" Bounty Hunter. He has no love for the Empire and realizes the Republic isn't much better. I think of him as what it must have been like to be someone like Rommel or Schindler in Germany during WWII. Good people in tough situations.

Even today, I don't always agree with US policy. There is corruption and evil in every nation. There are mistakes, and just plain bad decisions. All any of us can do it hope that the majority of "us" are not the bad people.

Tiars
03.22.2012 , 01:49 PM | #12
My main and first end game character was my Jedi Consular.

The story did feel like my character's personal story even though I know that every Jedi Consular has the same story.

The only place where it fell apart was on Corellia. I really feel that you need to do the last generic mission on the planet and then turn in the last storyline mission for the class for it to really fit together well.

Outside of this it was good.

The problem to me comes with leveling an alt. I skip thought the dialog for the planet's generic quests because they are even with the minor tweaks the same thing and pay attention to the class storyline. But even there since my first was a Jedi Shadow and one of my alts is a Jedi Sage, I find myself even skipping the class storyline dialog a lot.

Darth_Solrac
03.22.2012 , 01:50 PM | #13
MY story? Naw. If my Sorc. mirrored me too much, he wouldn't be sober half the time. Couldn't Sorc. very well, lol.
Nobody expects the Sith Inquisition!
Guild: Imperial Army.
Darth (Markos) Solrac: LV 50, Dark Sith Sorcerer.
Draykos Solrac: LV 29, Dark grey Jedi Guardian.

Guildrum
03.22.2012 , 02:01 PM | #14
It never felt like my story, not one of them. I didn't care though, I knew that it is practically impossible to make a game like this feel like it's "your story", I just kind of sat back and enjoyed the ride y'know?
The Shaffer Legacy: Begeren Colony

Shaffer Lazy-eye Horace Sleth
Journalist, Pirate Bodyguard Sith

wavyhill
03.22.2012 , 02:15 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Urael View Post
No, but I also don't demand that from it because I realize that it is an impossible goal for a CRPG to meet.

My problems with the single player side of the game stem more from the uneven writing, the patented Bioware method of making choice not extend beyond the next line of dialogue, the fact that the gameplay and the stories are at odds with each other and often sabotage one another, questionable design choices, and what I feel are some gross misallocations of resources on Biowares part.

DarkDiva
03.22.2012 , 04:40 PM | #16
For me personally, not at all. I was RPing my first character (a smuggler) for about six months before the game came out and "The Smuggler" does quite a few things my smuggler wouldn't do. I suppose that's true in all MMO's to a certain extent but maybe because of your character being voiced it feels more in my face.

At first I tried to play the character and make the choices that my character would make but there were too many times there was no option my character would pick, so I gave up. Now I look at the class and planet storylines as something outside my character. Some parts I enjoy and some parts I don't but none of those things are actually happening to my character. At this point I'm rather ambivalent to the overall game storyline. Its a little sad because story is supposed to be such a big part of the game but at this point see it as no more than getting my levels.
"Well, look at this! Appears we got here just in the nick of time. Whaddya suppose that makes us?"
"Big damn heroes, sir."

Limitsky
03.23.2012 , 02:57 AM | #17
It felt like my story as soon as I got the jist of my characters personality when options where chosen as well as the general storyline I'd be following. As soon as I got ready for all of that, it was very enjoyable, much more enjoyable then trying to think of how my Character should be rather then focus on what they can be.

Elbmuh
03.23.2012 , 09:25 AM | #18
I've only played Sith Warrior and Jedi Consular past the first chapter.

The Sith Warrior story was great, in my opinion, especially since I was leaning towards the light side. I honestly felt some moments pretty deeply.

Jedi Consular's first chapter... was pretty damn boring. I'm only hoping it gets better. The whole time I've felt like a tool.
BAYANI from Jedi Covenant
Sawbones Scoundrel | PVE scoundrel healing guide

Captain_Zone
03.23.2012 , 11:20 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Elbmuh View Post
I've only played Sith Warrior and Jedi Consular past the first chapter.

The Sith Warrior story was great, in my opinion, especially since I was leaning towards the light side. I honestly felt some moments pretty deeply.

Jedi Consular's first chapter... was pretty damn boring. I'm only hoping it gets better. The whole time I've felt like a tool.
I credit the VAs with bringing the Sith Warriors to life. Both male and female actors do a great job. Confident without being cocky. I ran mine as "The Galaxy's most benevolent jerk", and had a blast.

Yeah, basically Vril Dox in Star Wars... with a lightsaber... and Force Choke. lol
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

kaczuszka
03.23.2012 , 12:00 PM | #20
YES and YES again because i do everything the way i want
peace is a lie there is only passion through passion I gain strength through strength I gain power through power I gain victory through victory my chains are broken the force shall free me