Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PLEASE VOTE: Give Us Real Combat Logs

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
PLEASE VOTE: Give Us Real Combat Logs

Matte_Black
03.27.2012 , 08:32 AM | #321
Quote: Originally Posted by Hxxr View Post
Now this might be new to you, but not all people enjoy the same things. No matter the subject, what's fun and what not is something intrapersonal.

You may want to read more than just the short posts. I pretty regularly concede that a minority of this game's players enjoy data-driven playstyles but, I felt Vakris was going a little too long about the simple plain fun he was describing while omitting the fact he was hinging it on data analysis. Something that is not widely considered fun even by those who complain in this thread that they want BioWare to do it for them.
"I really wanted to bring in the three BioWare pillars to the online space. Those are represented by story, by the player's choice in story, and by characters. Those are the three big things that I felt weren't really well represented in the MMO space." - James Ohlen

Matte_Black
03.27.2012 , 08:41 AM | #322
Quote: Originally Posted by Sevvy View Post
You can abuse anything in this world. Let's outlaw everything, especially a mechanism to provide factual data. We don't want facts infecting this world.
Better yet, when we design something, we can just leave out those potential problems like BioWare has. They are adding a useful tool and trying to insure that it will only be used responsibly. NOTHING has been taken from you, outlawed or banned.
"I really wanted to bring in the three BioWare pillars to the online space. Those are represented by story, by the player's choice in story, and by characters. Those are the three big things that I felt weren't really well represented in the MMO space." - James Ohlen

MasterKayote
03.27.2012 , 08:47 AM | #323
You can abuse anything in this world. Let's outlaw everything, especially a mechanism to provide factual data. We don't want facts infecting this world.
Mmm ... hyperbole's (nomnom).

I Never said anything about outlawing. Last I checked, guns aren't outlawed. I said regulations and restrictions for tools that can be used incorrectly. That also *gasp* includes facts! There is A LOT of "factual data" about me that you can use incorrectly to cause me harm. Fortunately there are laws that (A) restrict you from getting that information (at least without my approval) and (B) laws against you using a lot of that information against me.

BW cant enforce the misuse of parsers, nor are there laws against being a total **** to someone else (unfortunately). Still, Bioware seems to not want that kind of behavior in TOR so theyre restricting its use to prevent it.

A while back I tried paying for my mothers car which she was behind on. She gave me all the information I needed to call and pay. When they asked me how much I wanted to pay I said "well, how much is she past due? Ill pay that." they said "I cant give you that information, its against the law" Now why would they say that, hmm?

Pangscar
03.27.2012 , 08:51 AM | #324
As a Progression raider, who leads a Raid guild, the way BioWare is doing it is fine. It removes the in game spam and misuse factors and makes it something that we as a guild can do within our own site amongst ourselves to help improve our performance. I don't recruit players that would abuse combat logs anyways, but the way BioWare is doing it suits mine and my guilds style perfectly.
My chains are broken.The Force shall free me.

Precision Sith Raiding guild

Sathid
03.27.2012 , 09:03 AM | #325
No to combat logs,i have been there and done that and it seperates too many people and then there is the extreme tweak crowd that will post logs in chat,do we really want or need to go down that path? i dont.

Combat log yourself? ok fine but i dont want someone parseing me without my knowledge or if i do not wish to be.

Sathid
03.27.2012 , 09:07 AM | #326
Quote: Originally Posted by Ulmius View Post
The SWTOR devs used to be against dungeon finder tools, however they caved and are going to add them. You can read about it here. http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/03...r-the-future/4

Rift devs used to be against addons. But they added them.
Rift devs also used to be against cross server lfg tools. But they added them.

SWTOR devs were against combat logs. But they started adding them.

What do all these have in common? Players want these tools. While the vocal minority purists may be against them, many players do want such tools. Trust me when I say that within 1 year this game will have addons and full combat logs instead of just personal logs.

Notice I said purists, not casuals. Casuals are people that enjoy experiencing the content instead of having a challenge. Casuals are the ones that play for a few hours a week. Casuals don't care if you put addons in the game, combat logs, or dungeon finder tools (although with their limited time they probably prefer dungeon finders). Purists however are the ones against addons, combat logs, dungeon finder tools, etc. Purists try to call themselves casual, however they don't realize that purist doesn't mean casual. Purists can be hardcore players that dedicate a lot of time to the game and want to experience the hardest content but make sure it's with nothing but the UI the devs give them. Casuals on the other hand cannot by definition, be a hardcore player.
Vocal minority,who you kidding i bet if there was a poll your combat log idea would get squashed.

crimsonsglory
03.27.2012 , 09:36 AM | #327
I guess for them, ignorance is bliss.

Obi-Wan: Wait, Master. There is something I must know. [inspects a security hologram]
Yoda: You realise, of course, that if into the security recordings, you go, only pain, will you find.
Obi-Wan: I must know the truth, Master.

Anti log brigadier : wait, I don't wana know anything
Pro log crusader : you realise, of course, that if into the damage meters logs, you go, only pain, will you find.
Anti log brigadier : I don't wana know the truth
Negative Nannies are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their arguement. The heated mind resents the chill touch and the relentless scrutiny of logic.

Drewser
03.27.2012 , 09:57 AM | #328
Quote: Originally Posted by Sathid View Post
Vocal minority,who you kidding i bet if there was a poll your combat log idea would get squashed.
He keeps trying to convince himself that he is part of majority. He figures if he posts it enough, it will become true.

DarthKhaos
03.27.2012 , 10:24 AM | #329
Quote: Originally Posted by crimsonsglory View Post
I guess for them, ignorance is bliss.

Obi-Wan: Wait, Master. There is something I must know. [inspects a security hologram]
Yoda: You realise, of course, that if into the security recordings, you go, only pain, will you find.
Obi-Wan: I must know the truth, Master.

Anti log brigadier : wait, I don't wana know anything
Pro log crusader : you realise, of course, that if into the damage meters logs, you go, only pain, will you find.
Anti log brigadier : I don't wana know the truth
If only our combat log was a video recorder. Obi-Wan looked at how much dmg Anikin did on the younglings. ZOMG look at that those crit numbers!!!

Attack on the Death Star:
Wedge: Luke you're not doing enough dps.
Luke: DPS?
Wedge: Yes the numbers don't lie we're going to fail with your DPS.
Luke: Bour goal is to... ***? Did I just get kicked from the comm channel?
Wedge: Ok guys Luke is no longer part of the group. Let's get a new DPS.
Gold3: Erm Wedge. You know we just have to shoot one shot in the hole over there?
Wedge: Now we need 2 DPS.
=================================
F2P? NO THANKS
CANCELLED
=================================

Cleopas
03.27.2012 , 10:31 AM | #330
I'm curious as to how many that are against combat logs participate in the End end game content (viz. hard/nightmare content).
Cleopas--Sorcerer
Sapoelc--Powertech
GM of Hadishi