Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

PLEASE VOTE: Give Us Real Combat Logs

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
PLEASE VOTE: Give Us Real Combat Logs

Cleopas's Avatar


Cleopas
03.26.2012 , 03:03 PM | #281
Let's take the DPS equation out of it. Let's suppose that that someone in your Op doesn't quite understand the concept of what's going with a particular encounter.

For some reason your guild keeps wiping to what seems like a really easy phase of a boss. You try and try but you don't know what the heck is going on. Everyone is getting pissed and then something magical happens....

Enter combat logs. After you view the logs you see that person X is taking way too much damage because of reason Y. Person X then stops doing reason Y and thus progress is made.

Right now, I have no idea what kills me or my guild mates. Was it a ball of lightning? Was it a cleave? Was it tracer derp spam?

Real time Combat Logs can help remedy this problem.
Cleopas--Sorcerer
Sapoelc--Powertech
GM of Hadishi

Englefield's Avatar


Englefield
03.26.2012 , 03:11 PM | #282
Quote: Originally Posted by Cleopas View Post
You half quoted me. The analogy fits. Guilds are amateur teams comprised of individuals who like to drink beer and win stuff. If you don't understand that concept, you're thick.
When you started you're sports analogies it was with professional sport, which is not the same as a recreational video game. It just isn't, no matter how you twist it. It may be to some people but this game is not aimed a them and besides that's another argument for another time.

Now you're comparing it to amateur sport. Slightly more appropriate but still irrelevant. If I had to copmare this video game to something like that I'd say it's more like a Sunday league football in a local pub league. Sure people want to win, but no one really cares if they do. It's about getting together with a bunch of mates having a crack and a few beers after. Yet we all know the weaknesses in the team are the 5'4" goalie, the fat slow winger or the striker with the turning circle of a supertanker.

But at the end of the game everyone has had a good time, you all shake hands and meet up for a beer. That's how I see this game, in fact that's how I see all video gaming. When it gets too serious there is a problem and it's isn't a fault of the game.

You seem to think that after the game the manager should be sitting in his office with spreadsheets analysing performance using opta index or creating individual diet plans, reviewing video replays or something. I think he should be sat at the bar.

So, am I thick because I don't understand or thick because I disagree with you?

Quote: Originally Posted by Cleopas View Post
The bragging is just part of it. It stems from competition. Like right now. You and I are competing to see who can make the most witty and insightful point. We're trying our best to "best" each other. There's nothing wrong with it. And, at the end of the day, we have our text right here saved to be judged by all of SWTOR as to who made the most significant contribution. What's wrong with that?
This amused me I must say. Evidence if ever it was needed that you take competition faaar too seriously. I'm not competing, you are competing. You really think we're being judged by the SWTOR masses? Are you delusional? No one will judge us because no one cares. It's the internet. Seriously, if you think anyone here really cares about our little chit chat, you might have more issues going on in your life right now then 'besting' someone on the internet.

I know I will not convince you, or anyone else with your point of view and to be honest I don't care. I'm just making points and trying to do so in a mature adult manner and not calling anyone thick.

itekazzawrrlic's Avatar


itekazzawrrlic
03.26.2012 , 03:23 PM | #283
Quote: Originally Posted by Sevvy View Post
Need ingame real combat logs. Anyone that doesn't support such a system is probably a bad DPSer that is in fear of losing their raid spot for being bad at their one, easy job.


It's really amazing how many people are against combat logs. Sad.

In WoW, it was nice to be on top. But I used the DPS meters more for my own personal development as a DPSer than anything else. I saw what other Fury Warriors were doing, saw what I was doing, and made changes accordingly.

But the bottom line is, if you're doing more than PUG'ing a normal mode raid, you should be held accountable for putting up expected numbers. If you can't do that, you need to either improve or be replaced. Stop coddling bads. Seriously.
your attitude is exactly why you're getting the combat logs you're getting.
Who is more foolish? The fool, or the fool who follows?

SWG Gorath

Cleopas's Avatar


Cleopas
03.26.2012 , 03:29 PM | #284
Quote: Originally Posted by Englefield View Post
When you started you're sports analogies it was with professional sport, which is not the same as a recreational video game. It just isn't, no matter how you twist it. It may be to some people but this game is not aimed a them and besides that's another argument for another time.

Now you're comparing it to amateur sport. Slightly more appropriate but still irrelevant. If I had to copmare this video game to something like that I'd say it's more like a Sunday league football in a local pub league. Sure people want to win, but no one really cares if they do. It's about getting together with a bunch of mates having a crack and a few beers after. Yet we all know the weaknesses in the team are the 5'4" goalie, the fat slow winger or the striker with the turning circle of a supertanker.

But at the end of the game everyone has had a good time, you all shake hands and meet up for a beer. That's how I see this game, in fact that's how I see all video gaming. When it gets too serious there is a problem and it's isn't a fault of the game.

You seem to think that after the game the manager should be sitting in his office with spreadsheets analysing performance using opta index or creating individual diet plans, reviewing video replays or something. I think he should be sat at the bar.

So, am I thick because I don't understand or thick because I disagree with you?



This amused me I must say. Evidence if ever it was needed that you take competition faaar too seriously. I'm not competing, you are competing. You really think we're being judged by the SWTOR masses? Are you delusional? No one will judge us because no one cares. It's the internet. Seriously, if you think anyone here really cares about our little chit chat, you might have more issues going on in your life right now then 'besting' someone on the internet.

I know I will not convince you, or anyone else with your point of view and to be honest I don't care. I'm just making points and trying to do so in a mature adult manner and not calling anyone thick.
Sorry, wasn't trying to offend you. But let's not pretend that you aren't taking jabs at me. At least be honest about it, deal?

I play video games to compete. I play in weekend sports tournies to compete. I competed in college. I compete at work. I compete lots of places (or at least try to). It's what I've been programmed to do since I was a little kid. I don't like losing.

In video games I realize that some folks like to buy outfits for their toons and /guffaw and role play weddings or whatever. Some like to hear the story and immerse themselves into the genre before them. Others like to just play 2 hours a week (because that's how much time they have). That's fine, let 'em be. But as for me, and a lot of folks I play with and against, I like to compete and I like to know how I'm doing. Maybe it's an American thing. Maybe it's because I used to pour over (and still do) the stats in newspaper every morning as a kid. I don't know what it is, but it's what I like to do.

As for the manager you referenced, he could simply looks at the score-book (while over his pint) and says, "Ok, Brad you went 17/21 in this tournament with 15 RBI...we should bat you 3rd instead of 8th next time." All I'm really saying is that if you enjoy winning, why not give yourself enough tools to do so.

And I think you do understand the sports analogy, so you might be thinner than I previously thought
Cleopas--Sorcerer
Sapoelc--Powertech
GM of Hadishi

aluisi's Avatar


aluisi
03.26.2012 , 03:32 PM | #285
Is the game broken with out a Combat log???? I say no its not. Would it be nice to have a combat log??? Yes it would. Would I rather them fix other game issues before add a combat log?? Oh heck yes I rather Bio focus on fixing the bigger game issues then adding a combat log that does NOTHING for my game experience.

DarthKhaos's Avatar


DarthKhaos
03.26.2012 , 03:33 PM | #286
Quote: Originally Posted by KingOMonkeys View Post
Right now I see alot of pugs that will drop you if you have less than XYZ amount of health. how is this any different than seeing your dps in a meter..oh i know your health does not directly relate to how well you do your job and a dps meter IS how well you do your job. group content is group content to be done in a group, people will always have a standard they expect others to live up to so they dont feel like they are carrying other players.
Why are you so adamant on excluding someone in the first place?
=================================
F2P? NO THANKS
CANCELLED
=================================

crimsonsglory's Avatar


crimsonsglory
03.26.2012 , 03:36 PM | #287
Hey anti logs brigade. In time to come there will be full combat logs *** damage meters in game. Just watch. Remember my name, so when they time comes remember what I've said.
And remember the finger..
Negative Nannies are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their arguement. The heated mind resents the chill touch and the relentless scrutiny of logic.

itekazzawrrlic's Avatar


itekazzawrrlic
03.26.2012 , 03:36 PM | #288
Quote: Originally Posted by Cleopas View Post
Sorry, wasn't trying to offend you. But let's not pretend that you aren't taking jabs at me. At least be honest about it, deal?

I play video games to compete. I play in weekend sports tournies to compete. I competed in college. I compete at work. I compete lots of places (or at least try to). It's what I've been programmed to do since I was a little kid. I don't like losing.

In video games I realize that some folks like to buy outfits for their toons and /guffaw and role play weddings or whatever. Some like to hear the story and immerse themselves into the genre before them. Others like to just play 2 hours a week (because that's how much time they have). That's fine, let 'em be. But as for me, and a lot of folks I play with and against, I like to compete and I like to know how I'm doing. Maybe it's an American thing. Maybe it's because I used to pour over (and still do) the stats in newspaper every morning as a kid. I don't know what it is, but it's what I like to do.

As for the manager you referenced, he could simply looks at the score-book (while over his pint) and says, "Ok, Brad you went 17/21 in this tournament with 15 RBI...we should bat you 3rd instead of 8th next time." All I'm really saying is that if you enjoy winning, why not give yourself enough tools to do so.

And I think you do understand the sports analogy, so you might be thinner than I previously thought

The big difference is, PROFESSIONAL athletes and managers get

PAID to be at the top of their game. Their JOB depends on it. Just like your


JOB depends on you doing your very best.

This is a game, NOT A JOB.
Who is more foolish? The fool, or the fool who follows?

SWG Gorath

itekazzawrrlic's Avatar


itekazzawrrlic
03.26.2012 , 03:37 PM | #289
Quote: Originally Posted by crimsonsglory View Post
Hey anti logs brigade. In time to come there will be full combat logs *** damage meters in game. Just watch. Remember my name, so when they time comes remember what I've said.
And remember the finger..
If that happens, ill be the first to give you a cookie.
Who is more foolish? The fool, or the fool who follows?

SWG Gorath

Stupiddrummer's Avatar


Stupiddrummer
03.26.2012 , 03:41 PM | #290
Just to be clear, one side here is arguing that we should add full combat logs and combat data into the game.

The other side here is arguing that the opposition shouldn't be given full combat logs and combat data.

Does that sound right?