1.2 changes to expertise, old pvp gear obsolete

Kaze-Yama

Yes - assuming the item changed. However, we prefer to avoid changing the stats or mods on items when possible.

While the Champion gear vendor has been replaced with the Recruit gear vendor, they are two separate item sets. You can no longer acquire Centurion or Champion gear, but they are still in the game if you already have them. Recruit gear is a new set of blue PvP gear. It has no mods and is purchased with credits. Champion is fully moddable purple gear with a set bonus.

If you already have Champion gear, the biggest difference you will notice is that you can now see the Armoring in appropriate items. This armoring can be extracted, and it binds to the specific slot it came from - such as the chest or legs.

It's possible that there are exceptions, but the stats on your Champion gear should be unchanged. The armoring mod in them accounts for the stats on the gear that used to be unmodifiable.

Unlike Champion gear, Battlemaster gear does have stat changes. All current and future (1.2+) tier PvP gear is going through a stat transition to give it more expertise. This means you will see many more expertise versions of Mods and Enhancements instead of primarily on the base mod (Armoring/Hilt/Barrel).

This is a quote from the PTS forum regarding what happens to champion gear in 1.2. It was confirmed by people on the PTS that champion gear got no stat changes in 1.2 and this dev post further adds to that. It seems that this was intentional on Bioware's part and not simply a bug.

Now I'm going to address what David Hunt said and why this screws over probably 90% of the pvp community unfairly. The first is that they try not to change gear stats when possible. This makes total sense it wouldn't be fair to change stats from build to build and screw players over, however by not changing stats in 1.2 they are in fact changing the gear as it goes from great to completely worthless.

The current champion gear gets +46 expertise per piece. Champion gear was highly competitive with Battlemaster gear stats wise and earning champ gear was an accomplishment in itself. Now in 1.2 they are keeping the BM tier but removing Centurion and Champion tiers for the new recruit tier.

Here is how the new pvp gear system breaks down compared to the old.

Old:

Centurion-39 expertise per piece

Champion-46 expertise per piece

Battlemaster-50 expertise per piece

From this you can see that champion gear was a big step up from centurion and that the gap between champ and BM gear is relatively small, now lets look at the new gear system in 1.2

Recruit- I think I saw a pic with 76 per piece

BM-100

War Hero- 110

Now the issue is if they don't adjust ANY stat values on champion gear it is going to stay locked at that 46 per piece value. This means it basically become trash because it is going to be half of what it previously was under the new expertise stat distribution.

Another major issue is that BM gear will only be converted over if it has all of the original mods in it as in the new BM gear expertise is no longer tied to just the armoring value but spread out across the mod and enhancement slots as well. If you modded your BM gear at all those old mods will stay stat locked in 1.2 and they will NOT get the expertise bonus.

Credit to Dulfy for this pic

http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/battlemasterptrlive.jpg

So if you changed the mods on your BM gear that previously had no expertise stats you are potentially losing out on 50 expertise, the +25 on mod and +25 on enhance under the new system. This effectively halves your expertise rating.

So basically if you have any champ gear or any modded BM gear in 1.2 you might as well throw it away because it will be useless unless they alter the old stats to fit the new expertise system.

Not only is it bad enough that your gear loses half its effectiveness but this also means you would have to actually PAY to buy the new Blue Recruit gear that is better than your old gear and then get the new BM gear AGAIN by playing warzones.

From everything the Devs have said the only way your gear will retain its full functional use in PVP is if you have full BM gear that has not been modded in any way. I imagine the number of players meeting that condition are relatively few. For everyone else their time and money investments up to this point in the game are worthless unless Bioware does something to address this issue and retroactively increases expertise stats on old gear to fit the new formula.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has nothing to do with having something to work for. They are essentially eliminating the gear from the game in terms of its functionality. How would you feel if you login and your level 50 gear got bumped down to level 25 gear.

It isn't about giving people new gear for free its about them making the old gear worthless. If you really want something to work for I guess you would suggest Bioware just delete everyone's character after every patch.

Edited by Kaze-Yama

I'm done "working for" anything BW throws at the pvp community. I, like many of you, "worked for" the last few months getting BM gear. This is because I enjoy PVP AND I enjoy character progression. This has nothing to do with my skill level at pvp. It has everything to do with my entertainment level with the game. Was the gear grind fun? No. I went 42 BM boxes with no comms at one point. Was it rewarding? Yes. I felt like I accomplished something on the progression side of my character. That was entertaining to me and kept me logging in. You want non progression oriented PVP, why play an MMO where grinding and gear acquisition is what it's about? Who cares about a different color of an already ugly armor set? Or another stupid speeder that doesn't go any faster? Or yet another meaningless title? If you play an MMO and not expect any kind of gear grind, you are delusional.

Now BW trivializes this effort and rewards the new comers/casuals/whiney crybaby forum QQ'ers who didn't/couldn't put in the time to get the gear. Basically a big FU to their most dedicated players.

Now all the "true pvp'ers" who have so much skill have a level playing field (like it wasn't level before. If you did what you were so skilled at, you would have the gear too...)

Do I have a problem fighting other people with the same gear as me? Not in the least. Do I have a problem with people getting the same gear in one day when it took me 3 months? Damn right I do.

So like I said in a different post, I will have my fresh 50's bypass all the blue recruit gear, the wz comm BM gear and I will solo Q in ranked wz and lose my way to top tier gear. Once I have it, then I will start playing for rank if I still have time left on my sub and 1.2 redeems this game enough to keep playing.

Edited by AncientForce

I totally agree...

It's exactly like WoW and their Cataclysmic season where me and my full Vicious had 40% less stats then the guy in Honor gear in this patch. I basically gave up on returning to WoW for that.

Now on SW I'm not BM yet because I hate grinding with a passion which makes me do a couple Warzones a day only before playing other games or alts.

I'll probably enter 1.2 in 3/4 champion and 1/4 BM gear at this point.

I loved PvP in this game because Centurion could easily beat a BM.

But now the expertise difference will be so huge there is no way a Old gear will win against a BM/War hero...

This make no sense.

Edit : To the poster above me...

You love character progression but then you complain they add a new tier of gear for you to progress even more???

Just because that will give newly 50 a chance at PvP?

Edited by snaplemouton

If lets say you did strip out crappy mods and put in the mods you wanted, and now you put back the original mods (not the actual original but the mods that should be on there as if you got it new), would it be fully converted with 1.2?

So if you changed the mods on your BM gear that previously had no expertise stats you are potentially losing out on 50 expertise, the +25 on mod and +25 on enhance under the new system. This effectively halves your expertise rating.

From everything the Devs have said the only way your gear will retain its full functional use in PVP is if you have full BM gear that has not been modded in any way. I imagine the number of players meeting that condition are relatively few. For everyone else their time and money investments up to this point in the game are worthless unless Bioware does something to address this issue and retroactively increases expertise stats on old gear to fit the new formula.

The BM thing has seriously annoyed me. Its simply not right that we are being punished for customising our gear considering how poorly itemised the BM enhancements are.

Its one thing to introduce a new set of gear, but to penalise players who actually put in more grind to get itemisation they liked? Na...

Edit: I would like to know if putting the original mods back in before 1.2 hits fixes this

Edited by AKfourtyseven

Oh wow, this really does suck. On my sorc I even took the stalker BM set for the better bonus, and replaced the useless accuracy enhancements with power/surge and crit/surge from columi and champ gear. All my gear will be spoiled come 1.2 then, with no way to save it, unless I buy new bm pieces aimed at sorcs.

Well, thanks for the info. Luckily I shelved my sorc and started working on my jugg. Will be hitting BM some time next week. Gotta keep the stupid accuracy mods in then... gimping myself now to gain an edge once 1.2 hits. Man, this is stupid.

Edited by Boissi

So basically if you have any champ gear or any modded BM gear in 1.2 you might as well throw it away because it will be useless unless they alter the old stats to fit the new expertise system.

Not only is it bad enough that your gear loses half its effectiveness but this also means you would have to actually PAY to buy the new Blue Recruit gear that is better than your old gear and then get the new BM gear AGAIN by playing warzones.

If I understand you currently you're saying that if you modded your BM gear you will not get the "new stock 1.2" mods, or are you saying that you will not be able to mod your existing BM gear at all?

We need a response from the devs as to how the translation of the mods/enhancements with 1.2 will work.

-Will only untouched BM gear be affected with the changes? (Unlikely, but most disappointing if true)

-Will BM gear pieces have their stats changed to what they show in PTR now, regardless of how they have been modded previously (This would suck and open up alot of abuse opportunity, but still better than option 1 I guess)

-Will mods/enhancements that were originally taken out of BM gear be recognised as such and have the stats they'd have if they were still slotted in the post-patch BM gear regardless of where they are now? (This is how it should work imo)

-Will BM gear be updated although it has previously been modded, but only if the original conditions have been restored before the patch hits, e.g. all the original mods are being put back where they were? (lolweird, but still... tell us!)

I personally modded 4 out of 5 pieces of BM gear, and I could care less about spending a few credits on reslotting them after 1.2, I obviously kept all the stuff I took out of them. However, the risk of players like me missing the 1.2v BM gear simply because we tried to optimize our gear, investing time and credits, is something I expect the devs to anticipate and prevent from happening.

Edited by Dianaid

he is saying when 1.2 hits he will not get any expertise gain from Auto upgrade because the mODS in are not the standar ones rendering his set useless.

SUrely they could implement a system WHere all gear with NAME A are replaced By Item NAME B regardless of what is inside?

better losing the mods that having total ruined piece

edit I take that back it would lead to ppl ripping mods off before and getting brand new gear

Edited by Jrovak

But everyone will start 1.2 with the gear they have, and all that gear is still simmilar stat wise in 1.2, right?

so there is no disadvantage right off the bat. everyone has the same opportunity to purchase more gear.

when you hit 50 you had the option to buy pvp gear, or keep your quest gear. most people bought pvp gear. now when 1.2 hits, you will again have an opportunity to buy this patch's new armor set.

i would wager that the next large patch will release a new set of gear as well. at least i hope they do, to keep it fresh.

or am i missing something?

ok i get, i guess i have to get my original bm mods and put them back in my bm gear so i dont lose expertise before 1.2 and since the pvp gear npcs will be different stocking different gears, does that mean we need to spend our existing bm/chemp/cent comms soon because come 1.2 they will be useless?

Just as an addendum this is what Georg Zeller posted about people who modded Rakata gear

Hey, some answers.

1. Yes, we have updated the stat distribution on Rakata gear with 1.2.

2. If you have not modified your gear, it will seamlessly update the mods inside when you log into the game the first time after the patch has been applied.

3. If you have modified your gear, it will retain any changes you have made. Any mods you didn't change out will update.

4. Restoring the original mods into the item, before 1.2, will cause them to upgrade at the time of the patch.

I'm assuming these same rules also apply to BM gear. If you have the original mods from the BM gear stored somewhere you can swap them back in to get the upgrade. (Granted this will still cost you credits to swap them out and the optimized mods will never be able to gain expertise stat.

If you sold the BM mods you took out or got rid of them or can't find them, or if you are currently in champ gear or have half champ half BM gear you are going to take a hit to your expertise value in some way and lose functionality.

Some relatively easy solutions would be simply to give whatever mods are in your BM gear +25 to expertise, this ensures when your gear transfers you will have the right expertise stat and keep the viability of your mods.

To solve the issue of Champ gear you can either just double the expertise stats on champ gear like what was done for BM but this would require dividing the expertise stats across the mod slots to fit with the new system.

Another fix, which I would prefer is simply change the new Recruit gear. Change it from blue gear that is unmoddable to purple gear that is moddable with the expertise split across the 3 mod slots. Then simply have Champ gear be replaced by Recruit gear.

Honestly I think Bioware has just screwed the pooch on this patch with the new expertise scaling. I don't really understand why they couldn't change the scaling of expertise to fit the 1.2 model and still keep the same stats on each piece of gear to avoid this problem. Ex. BM gear would stay at 50 expertise per piece and War Hero gear would be something like 55, but the math behind how much scaling each point of expertise would add would just be compressed to fit the 1.2 expertise curve.

Agreed the scaling makes no sense. The only thing I can think of that they are doing is trying to make a big enough gap between high-end PvP gear and high-end PvE gear so raiders don't have an advantage with hybrid slotting.

This is a quote from the PTS forum regarding what happens to champion gear in 1.2. It was confirmed by people on the PTS that champion gear got no stat changes in 1.2 and this dev post further adds to that. It seems that this was intentional on Bioware's part and not simply a bug.

Now I'm going to address what David Hunt said and why this screws over probably 90% of the pvp community unfairly. The first is that they try not to change gear stats when possible. This makes total sense it wouldn't be fair to change stats from build to build and screw players over, however by not changing stats in 1.2 they are in fact changing the gear as it goes from great to completely worthless.

The current champion gear gets +46 expertise per piece. Champion gear was highly competitive with Battlemaster gear stats wise and earning champ gear was an accomplishment in itself. Now in 1.2 they are keeping the BM tier but removing Centurion and Champion tiers for the new recruit tier.

Here is how the new pvp gear system breaks down compared to the old.

Old:

Centurion-39 expertise per piece

Champion-46 expertise per piece

Battlemaster-50 expertise per piece

From this you can see that champion gear was a big step up from centurion and that the gap between champ and BM gear is relatively small, now lets look at the new gear system in 1.2

Recruit- I think I saw a pic with 76 per piece

BM-100

War Hero- 110

Now the issue is if they don't adjust ANY stat values on champion gear it is going to stay locked at that 46 per piece value. This means it basically become trash because it is going to be half of what it previously was under the new expertise stat distribution.

Another major issue is that BM gear will only be converted over if it has all of the original mods in it as in the new BM gear expertise is no longer tied to just the armoring value but spread out across the mod and enhancement slots as well. If you modded your BM gear at all those old mods will stay stat locked in 1.2 and they will NOT get the expertise bonus.

Credit to Dulfy for this pic

http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/battlemasterptrlive.jpg

playing a video game is not an "investment". if you think it is then you're doing it wrong.

The new BM gear in 1.2 is so easy to get you might as well consider it baseline.

It's about 10000 warzone comms to get every slot filled with BM gear. Dailies will give comms too.

I think it'll be faster to get a full suit of BM in 1.2 than it is to get a full suit of centurion now.

If you have a bunch of BM gear already, remember a lot of it you haven't even modded. Your BM weapon, power generator or equivalent, belt, bracer, implant, ears...won't have to worry about that not updating.

Even if you modded all 5 of the BM set pieces and they don't update, you can play warzones for a few days and probably buy 5 fresh pieces.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Edited by ShadowOfVey

playing a video game is not an "investment". if you think it is then you're doing it wrong.

You're wrong, it's an investment in time and enjoyment. The moment "I could be doing something else" comes into play, the investment isn't there anymore.

The new BM gear in 1.2 is so easy to get you might as well consider it baseline.

It's about 10000 warzone comms to get every slot filled with BM gear. Dailies will give comms too.

I think it'll be faster to get a full suit of BM in 1.2 than it is to get a full suit of centurion now.

If you have a bunch of BM gear already, remember a lot of it you haven't even modded. Your BM weapon, power generator or equivalent, belt, bracer, implant, ears...won't have to worry about that not updating.

Even if you modded all 5 of the BM set pieces and they don't update, you can play warzones for a few days and probably buy 5 fresh pieces.

I wouldn't worry about it.

The issue isn't whether or not it takes a long time to replace the gear the issue is that we have to replace the gear at all. It is the same as Bioware rolling out a new patch and deleting the gear off of your character. Having half as much expertise as everyone else in a warzone is not going to be feasible.

Basically unless they address this issue a large number of players are going to be required to give up credits and time arbitrarily just because Bioware felt like it. Honestly I welcome the changes of making pvp gear more easily attainable but my previous progress shouldn't be invalidated to make that happen.

This also sets a dangerous precedent for the future. The community needs to speak up that Bioware should put more planning into changes like this. A few months down the road they could do this again and war hero gear could be made completely worthless. Also there is the possibility that they could make game altering changes to gear that are not easily replaceable. Imagine if BM gear was just as hard to get as prior to 1.2 would you still think this change was ok? Just because the penalty to replace the gear that Bioware screwed up is comparatively small is not ok.

Also this is all relative. One person may be casual and spent all their time so far to get full champ gear and that is something they take pride in. Then in one patch that gear loses all of its effectiveness. Also if Bioware said the average 50 player has 400k credits there are going to be some people who may not even have the money to buy the new recruit gear necessary to start playing warzones.

Yet another screw up by BW in the 1.2 update. They really need to seek some experienced MMO developers to keep themselves from constantly making these kinds of mistakes. I mean how hard would it be to just mail or place the upgraded "mods" to the person if the game detects they modified them BW armor.

After all the BM mods were so god damn horrible that you had to replacement in the first place...