Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Feedback request from James Ohlen: PvP

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Feedback request from James Ohlen: PvP

Praxis_
03.21.2012 , 02:46 PM | #21
Remove expertise. I should need different gear sets for tanking, dps, or healing. I shouldn't need a different gear set for killing players vs killing everything else.

Rehme
03.21.2012 , 02:46 PM | #22
continue to allow for credit payouts in PVP warzones.

Romanticyde
03.21.2012 , 02:48 PM | #23
remove expertise, or at least change the way it works now, pvp in it's current form feels like showing up pays off more than doing anything because you are useless for most of the gear grind anyways
"In Dagobah, they call it a critter Royale with cheese"
-Mace Windu
Come to the dark side, you get a free cookie... Vader's Fist

GamewizX
03.21.2012 , 02:52 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by StephenReid View Post
Hey everyone! James Ohlen, Game Director for Star Wars: The Old Republic, would like to solicit some feedback from the community on weekly basis.

He's going to be taking feedback directly via his Twitter account, but if you're not on Twitter, we're going to reproduce his question here and would love to get your feedback here too.

Please limit your feedback to the question James wants discussed. Feel free to link to other threads and please keep your feedback constructive and on-topic!

Here is James' question for this week:

If you could make one change to PVP in SWTOR, what would you want it to be?

Remember, you can follow James on Twitter @JamesOhlen; you can follow our main account @SWTOR.
Similar to what is in Warhammer, I would love for PvP "lakes" on each planet, most especially to add some open world PvP dynamics for PvE servers. Some of the best open world PvP I've experienced in my MMO gaming has been on a core server in WAR, hunting other players down in the PvP lakes.

However, this change might not be possible without changing a lot of the layout of the planets, so my second most wanted change in PvP is the complete removal of the Expertise stat. PvP stats are a very bad move, and only promote grinding gameplay where gear overshadows skill. People will sit there and worry more about gaining medals in Warzones (to get the end result of more valor and better PvP gear) instead of actually trying to win the match.
The Shadowlands -Ξ▒▓██ The Gamewiz Legacy ██▓▒Ξ- The Shadowlands
www.oldrepublicdads.com | Proud member of -=ORD=- | www.oldrepublicdads.com
Aaliyah - 50 Sage (TK) | Corthin - 50 Sentinel (CB) | Hartman - 35 Commando (GN)

Fakeer
03.21.2012 , 02:52 PM | #25
And what about some kind of arenas (for example 2v2, 3v3, 5v5, ...)?

Duramatis
03.21.2012 , 02:53 PM | #26
Ranked warzones so my low-level characters don't immediately get pwned!
Duramatis

TViddy
03.21.2012 , 02:53 PM | #27
Open World PvP with objectives!

AynRand
03.21.2012 , 02:55 PM | #28
The PVP is great just like it is. The only problem is the lack of people queuing. If we had global queuing across servers then there would be more people and the cue would be shorter. Also it would increase the chances of getting Alderan and Voidstar. As it stands the server populations are preventing those from popping up often and the result is too much hutt ball. I love hutt ball don't get me wrong but I would like to play the others just as often.

Also, it would be nice to be able to choose the war-zone I want to queue for instead of random draw. This of course would go hand in hand with global queuing because there would always be enough participants to make that happen.

GalnarDegana
03.21.2012 , 02:55 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by PolyJynwon View Post
James,
However, I don't see a reason for why I would participate in something that is essentially a grind for a different type of gear.
It is for the fun of the PvP, it shouldn't really have an effect on the PvE game. A shift in focus from PvP-only reasons to ANY PvE reasons is a bad system that will come back to bite them.

PvP may not always need to be about combat..
It should ALWAYS be about combat. That is the problem with some games' PvP (like LOTRO, which I played PvP in for years). If there is not a reason to fight the other team, it isn't PvP anymore.

I understand some servers have lopsided populations, however, % of participation as opposed to shear number may be able to mitigate some issues.
This is very true, the imbalance needs to be curbed.

Kill a world boss, complete dailies, craft x item all for the greater good of the Alliance/Sith.
No, a million times no. PvE for PvP's sake is simply PvE. PvP'ers should NEVER be required to PvE to remain competitive in PvP. That is what literally destroyed PvP in LOTRO. That is actually the reason entire guilds left for SWTOR.

The reward for this? control over space, planets, a faction wide buff. I'd like to support my faction with something more benign and with something I already participate in without having to grind through yet another set of items in order to be viable.
This would be really cool, the only issue is when you get people who PvP only long enough to get the leveling or faction buff, then they go PvE or level with that buff. You talk about imbalance. This will just make it worse.

Lethality
03.21.2012 , 02:55 PM | #30
Remove Expertise completely.
Interested in a Mac version of TOR? Show your support here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=683591