Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Tanks and somethings they may not tell you

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Tanks and somethings they may not tell you

Naraskgrim
03.21.2012 , 09:29 AM | #1
Dps- "Why aren't you guarding me I am pulling aggro off you so if you guard me I can do more dps"

Tank- "You know there is this thing called a healer that tends to be the most essential thing to keeping not only me alive but you alive and suprisingly enough Healing people causes threat and no offense but I would rather keep the whole party alive rather than just you

TheSidehatch
03.21.2012 , 09:38 AM | #2
You Guard the healer in PVE?

Putting Guard on a healer isn't usually too wise given they're often more than 15m from you and they generate significantly less threat.

If for some reason you find yourself tanking on top of the healer (often a poor idea in itself) it's not a bad idea. Rarely should a healer be pulling aggro or taking enough hits from mobs to justify guarding them. If you lose aggro to a healer, hitting the mob with a taunt, stun or some form of CC will often be enough to get through the pull.
<Order of the White Lion> [The Harbinger]
50 Jedi Guardian; 52 Commando; 49 Vanguard; 36 Scoundrel; 17 Assassin

WinterWraith
03.21.2012 , 10:06 AM | #3
Yeah, healers are rarely in guard range of me in PvE and if I lose threat it's almost always to one of the DPS. I prefer guarding a melee DPS, particularly Sentinels.

RDeanOU
03.21.2012 , 10:18 AM | #4
If you are guarding the healer in pve then you are doing it wrong. Healing aggro is inconsequential in this game. Dps, on the other hand, pulls aggro far more quickly and with enrage timers on nearly every fight you need every bit of dps you can get.

Your dps is right and you are wrong. Don't guard the healer.

Rafkin
03.21.2012 , 10:56 AM | #5
+1 for guarding dps

Naraskgrim
03.21.2012 , 11:51 AM | #6
Not at level 50 yet but still either way ***** dps need to learn not to nuke withing the first 5 seconds

Padkhar
03.21.2012 , 11:55 AM | #7
You should really adjust your strategy to the groups you are in.

As other people said, a healer generally isn't in range, and isn't getting hit with anything. But sometimes groups can't help but break cc, or don't see all the enemies that are active, and things like that, so a very squishy healer might benefit. If your healer isn't all that squishy, especially compared to a DPS in the group, you may want to rethink it, b/c healer classes often have defensives to activate that apply to enemies that the healer isn't attacking--sometimes DPS classes don't have much they can do defensively.

MrFunkyMunky
03.21.2012 , 01:41 PM | #8
If you're placing guard on the healer during PvE, you're doing it wrong. Period.
Leader of the original Legion of the Republic. Join us Today!
Kryyn Tosh - Jedi Knight/Guardian, TOR
Daethal - 65 Minstrel, LotRO, Arkenstone server, Knights of Nobility
Power Line - 50 E^3 Blaster, Guardian server.

RDeanOU
03.21.2012 , 02:11 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Naraskgrim View Post
Not at level 50 yet but still either way ***** dps need to learn not to nuke withing the first 5 seconds
I'm sorry, but that isn't true in this game. Enrage timers on every fight mean that your dps needs to go balls out in order for you to win.

Taunt is your friend. It isn't just a tool to get aggro back in this game it is actually a threat generator. You have to get out of the tanking mindset of other MMO's. Jump into the fray....hit every threat generator you have and use taunts on CD. Even going balls out the dps shouldn't be able to catch you if you are using taunt properly.

You also don't need to keep every add on you either. If there are normals (and even a strong here and there) the dps can usually handle them. Your focus should be on keeping aggro on the most threatening targets and you have more than enough tools to accomplish this.

Stop blaming the dps for doing dps....that is their job. This game is unlike other mmo's in that you have the tools to keep aggro even if they are nuking.

Kil-Gorbane
03.21.2012 , 05:19 PM | #10
In PVE, there are more DPS'ers than healers. Single most effective use is to put the guard on healer. Melee DPS"ers should be standing at max attack range so they are considered range damage threat (read up on that if you are confused). Even with all DPS doing their best damage a tank should be able to manage threat on a single target with no problem AND still guard the healer. Most group compositions have other means for DPS'ers to manage or drop threat. There are too many DPS'ers for a single guard to be useful on them unless the tank is capable of swapping it around.