Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why is there no world PvP?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Why is there no world PvP?

termixonian
03.20.2012 , 12:25 AM | #21
I read all the posts and I can see most of the players know whats wrong with open world PvP.
Why cant the Bioware guys that are paid to do it see it also? Are they blind or stupid or what?

Like someone wrote; Maybe the servers could not handle 30 vs 30 people at the same time.

I played WoW and we had our first raid to Undercity with around 100 players on mounts going in. It lagged like hell. When u pressed a spell it took 2-5 minutes to resolve. The computer guards had no lag ofc. They killed you and you did not know you are dead for 2-5 minutes also. We decided not to go there again. There were also a lot of enemy players.

On illum that happened with 15-20 imps vs 10-15 pubs. Even after I retreated to base my computer could not recover from the lag. It just crashed.
Like someone wrote - millions for the story and couple of thousands for the network stuff. Sad. Even more sad cause this is a great game with great story. I will still play at least 2 stories on republic side and do the quests.

Lets hope Bioware and some other mmo companies will learn from all this and produce a better PvP world in the future.
Power... Sweet unlimited POWER!!!

hargrave
03.20.2012 , 12:37 AM | #22
ganking lower level players on either side is not pvp lol. Theres no open world b/c they screwed up with ilum.

Faction imbalance is due to no alien races I.E wookies/rodians on rep and the rep side having crap storylines. They need to revamp the whole rep side.

I do feel the same way i got 4 toons up for world pvp and when i got out to ilum with my first one it was just a rep base camp 24/7 then it turned into being instanced to hell and you spent all your time switching instances and not pvp'ng

I agree about having both warzones and open world they hurt each other more then they compliment each other.

Im hoping theyll revamp ilum and give us what we all want but my gut feeling is if they do fix it theyll just fix the capture points from turning so fast and say its fixed

The bigger question is why isnt there pvp bases on other planets? That would have been perfect right now ilum wouldnt even matter then we could just open world pvp elsewhere and it would have been better pvp for rep players to who are stuck at there bast most the time they could just go elsewhere and see how the pvp is at other bases.
We have an entire team dedicated to adding content and features to player vs. player. We have some of the most experienced PvP developers in the world on this team.James Ohlen Ilum is bieng reworked as it wasnt a fun or exciting experience

ademnus
03.20.2012 , 12:45 AM | #23
why is there no world pvp?

well there was, but everyone abused it. once it got fixed to avoid the abuse, few people participated in it at all.

I guess it was a waste of time and resources. It would be a bigger waste to add yet more.
translation
Will the owner of a gray Death Star please move your non-moon planet-killing spacestation? You're blocking a fire hydrant.

termixonian
03.20.2012 , 12:49 AM | #24
I am not talking about ganking low level players. I am talking about no PvP at all on planets. One of the reasons is also that you do not get ANYTHING if you kill a player outside of warzone or illum area. So how is that a PvP world?
And seriously If u want to gank low lvl players you can do it anywhere. There will always be that but there will also always be players that will protect the low lvl newbies. There are always 2 sides not just 1.
Power... Sweet unlimited POWER!!!

TrumpetNut
11.09.2012 , 12:31 PM | #25
I have seen 2 ever and I knocked one of a bridge the second one challenged me and I maraudered him. i highly encourage you guys or anyone who reads this if your bored GO TO OUTLAWS DEN

Technohic
11.09.2012 , 12:34 PM | #26
Last I knew, Pot5 community was arranging PvP events. Haven't checked for a while to see if they still are.

TUXs
11.09.2012 , 12:38 PM | #27
Because Bioware removed all rewards from World PvP. In a game that relies so heavily on equipment, expect to find the players where they can actually work towards getting that equipment.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here [FREE server transfer being a key perk!!])

Technohic
11.09.2012 , 12:46 PM | #28
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=542983

Depending on what I got at home, I might be out there and be easy pickings with an under geared sniper, who happens to share my forum name.

Litros
11.09.2012 , 12:48 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Mrcheezle View Post
The game's design was a compete failure.

There is no difference in a so-called PvE server and their PvP servers. Failed hero engine cannot support enough players for a healthy PvP population so EA created a ton of little servers (low population caps) and sharded, instanced, and seperated as many players as possible in order for their servers to crash and lag less.

What does this mean to us players?? No open world PvP and dead servers. This game is more or less an 8v8 instanced game. Nothing more, nothing less.
I couldn't agree more. You cover it loud and clear. They DIDN'T designed for Open World PvP - more likely for Small (10 vs 10?) World PvP. If they are 30 or more people on screen the FPS goes to 0. If that is not bad design what is?
Seek Knowledge.
With Knowledge we gain Power.
With Power we gain Victory.
We shall prevail!

Capt_Beers
11.09.2012 , 12:53 PM | #30
I found plenty of Imps to tangle with last night. Had a good fight in BH and on Alderaan. Don't know why everyone is so wrapped up in getting rewards for it though. It's fun. That's why I do it.

Usually don't see as many as I did last night though. I will probably be trying to start more battles by rolling into the Imps areas like they were doing last night.

Nice necro post btw.
<HVND> <MALEVOLENT>
Keef-Stone 60 Serenity | | Keets-Stone 60 Seer | | Keith-Stone 60 Combat Medic | | Keeth-Stone 60 Vigilance
Keet-Stone 55 Focus | | CaptBeers 60 Arsenal | | Kee'th 60 Pyrotech | | FOTM-Reroll 55 Tactics