Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why is there no world PvP?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Why is there no world PvP?

KruelhandJorb
03.19.2012 , 10:20 AM | #11
leveling up on Shadowtown it was a common experience to run into Imps on Alderaan, Tatooine and Hoth especially. I had many encounters, in fact almost daily I would run into an Imp.

Call that population imbalance if you like but it's pretty common that someone in guild might even call for some help because there are some higher level Imps griefing people on Tat.

Last time that happened we threw together a party and went and ****ed their **** up, killing them insider their base.

**** with my lowbee guildies will you?

It's rare, but it's out there. Perhaps it's died down that not as many people are leveling.
Conqueror Nowuc Saberward - Jedi Sentinel - The Bastion

Drunkenpig
03.19.2012 , 10:53 AM | #12
Cant do open world pvp plus battlegrounds?
Ever played WOW?
Wow. No open world pvp? SVT anyone? No BG? WOW invented them.
Fanboys dont help improve the game. They only make themselves look foolish.

Talizzar
03.19.2012 , 11:00 AM | #13
What I want to know is why people don't use the spell checking plug ins for their browsers.....

The devs promised us nirvana and we got the cesspool.

Other parts of the game were done very well.

This game has taken MMO gaming back instead of forward. Too bad. It is starting to make STO look good which was a another bomb.

Ozzone
03.19.2012 , 11:06 AM | #14
Want to know exactly why there will never be large-scale PvP in this game? Simple. Hitching.

Press your spacebar to jump in the air. As soon as your press it, press the key to open your character window. Now time the lag.

The game itself literally freezes for the client while it's fetching data to populate the data in the character window. This is actually a 2-step process to get the data from the asset files and load it into DISKCACHEARENA then get the data from the cache file into your client.

This example I gave is the core problem with the game. Throw about 20-30 players fighting each other in near proximity of each other and you'll see the problem clearly. If you have ever camped the base in Ilum you know exactly what I mean. FPS drops horrendously low and the sheer amount of repeated hitching lowers the overall FPS down so it seems like you are constantly lagging.

Faster PCs reduce the amount of hitching durations but it's still noticeable. Reducing polygons helps and reducing the detail of ability effects helps but the core problem is still there.

SweetNausea
03.19.2012 , 11:08 AM | #15
The devs deliberately designed maps/questing zones so players of the opposite faction would never run into each other. I don't agree with it, or like it, but I don't think there is any way to fix it.

Also, this game's engine does not like when lots of people are in the same area, so mass PvP is a no-go.

Ozzone
03.19.2012 , 11:15 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by SweetNausea View Post
The devs deliberately designed maps/questing zones so players of the opposite faction would never run into each other. I don't agree with it, or like it, but I don't think there is any way to fix it.
Some genius decided that physically separating players was for the good of the game. Wanna start betting who made that decision?

Quote: Originally Posted by SweetNausea View Post
Also, this game's engine does not like when lots of people are in the same area, so mass PvP is a no-go.
I doubt we will see any fix to this for a very long time so massive PvP is a no-go for sure.

GamleFenris
03.19.2012 , 11:34 AM | #17
To the OP, sounds like you have pleyed EQ1 and DAoC?

To me it sounds like it, becus it whas like that!

You have to fight to get control over important places and mobs.

That in turn gives som frustration but also massive fights, proper team play.

Its fun!!

VoidJustice
03.19.2012 , 11:45 AM | #18
It also has to be noted that Open World Pvp can't work when Imperials outnumber Repub's at insane rates on most if not all servers.

The problem is mostly the players. If your not playing a Republic toon, YOU ARE THE PROBLEM.

You can cry all about wanting open world pvp all day long, as long as the player population imbalance remains no matter what technical fixes they make, it will never happen.

As a Repub why would I go to Illium wind up all alone to be insta killed by 30 imperials all huddling together afraid of winding up in a 1v1 with me?

Answer: we don't go... and we never will... as you'll never re-roll en mass... so... kiss Open world Pvp bye bye... in this game.

Daxun
03.19.2012 , 11:52 AM | #19
As someone that got stuck on a PVE server (followed friends) and only does PVP Ilum was really nice. Even though our server is on the small side and heavily outnumbered by Imps it was still fun to have big back-and-forths every now and again.

It's dead now and will be totally gone when the "Ilum" daily/weekly gets taken out.

I run around my PVE server flagged 100% of the time hoping for some open world action. I've never been attacked. Open world pvp has gone the way of Ilum, dead.
War Hero Valyrian
Vanguard | Tank
Blue

Drunkenpig
03.19.2012 , 11:52 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by VoidJustice View Post
It also has to be noted that Open World Pvp can't work when Imperials outnumber Repub's at insane rates on most if not all servers.

The problem is mostly the players. If your not playing a Republic toon, YOU ARE THE PROBLEM.

You can cry all about wanting open world pvp all day long, as long as the player population imbalance remains no matter what technical fixes they make, it will never happen.

As a Repub why would I go to Illium wind up all alone to be insta killed by 30 imperials all huddling together afraid of winding up in a 1v1 with me?

Answer: we don't go... and we never will... as you'll never re-roll en mass... so... kiss Open world Pvp bye bye... in this game.
Wrong. Ozzone has it right, and he did a good analyses of a problem I didnt understand. It isnt player imbalance. Its deliberately making populations so small that there is no meaningful open world pvp.