Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

this is how much i hate corso riggs!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
this is how much i hate corso riggs!

teambff
03.22.2012 , 10:25 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by carvosa View Post
It's not the voice, it's the backwater, 'aw shucks,' 'women are weak, don't be mean' crapola that drives me insane. If you're mean to another guy, he's like "Yeah! 15!" - but say one wrong thing to a woman who just killed your contact, betrayed you, and is snogging one of your worst enemies and he's all "dude, that's a woman, don't do that -40!"

Whatever. Wanna be chivalrous? Be a jedi's companion - I've got some smugglin' to do, son!
indeed, that's this reverse sexism attitude by meatheads where they will act all noble toward a female in terms of not hitting her like "you don't lay your hand on a female" and then they will cheat on them and treat em like crap in relationships... they lower females by putting them on this level below a male.. with this condescending way about it. always hate that attitude as if a female can't possibly be strong or smart enough to be a proper foe.

those are the same guys who think they "love females" because they wouldn't ever hit one but at the same time emotionally abuse them and use them up and cheat on them. etc. they don't do that out of "love" or a great caring they do it out of this lowering of a female as this weak, fragile little thing.

ahhhh that really annoys me, i love strong female characters and female villains all the same and to try and say they couldn't fight or be killed is a disgrace to them.

Spoiler

and corso with his false bravado and caring sickens me and all guys like him.
just earlier
Spoiler

not sure if that rant even makes any sense.
JOSS WHEDON is god!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7vS4z6ngQo
"the scoobygang legacy" on server mind trick, and in all other games, and things, and in life.

Sotaudi
03.23.2012 , 01:36 AM | #22
Corso has no good lines???? "Now you're dumb, ugly, AND dead" is one of the funniest lines of all the companions.
(██████████████)

Demujen
03.23.2012 , 08:23 AM | #23
All I can say is, once I got him...Bowdaar became my best friend.

It was also much more amusing that while finishing up Act 1, whenever Skavak would call me after NS he'd be all, "Ugh, seriously man, keep your pet on a leash! I don't want fleas" And I'd make a witty retort. +22/+60 Bowdaar and he's all, "Wait until we find you. I'll rip out your arms."

Kept giving me grins with the cutscene RP/dialogue.

CloudCastle
03.23.2012 , 09:14 AM | #24
I don't have a problem with Corso. I like him a lot. I understand that on other threads, as well as this one, some people have mentioned him being sexist. But our "real life" assessment of that comes along with a heap load of cultural/social baggage that (I'd like the assume) the Star wars universe doesn't have.

I don't have a problem with Corso's chivalry because:

1) I'm still in charge. Corso, like a good companion, knows that and respects it. I make all the decisions. ("Don't look at me! You're the one in charge!", "What's our play, Captain?", etc.) He goes willingly with me into situations with crazy odds where any sane person would run away screaming.

2) His protectiveness doesn't rankle me because he's a TANK! That's his job. Dang straight he's supposed to protect me, take hits for me, even die for me. And he does that, regularly. (Sorry I can't heal you Corso...)

3) I even told him straight out, "I'm no lady" and other similar sentiments, and he responded positively to that.

4) He gave me a gun for a gift. He knows I'm a space cowgirl and it's my job to shoot things (and look awesome doing it.) He didn't talk down to me or say I'm too fragile or I don't know what I'm doing, or "you poor thing let me take that dangerous gun from you before you hurt yourself."

5) He may get jealous if he sees me flirting, but does he really have any power in these scenarios? Our characters are always in the drivers seat. If I really don't want to upset him (and lose affection points), I just send him back to the ship and get Bowdaar ("I think I'll go climb some trees." )

Corso is cheerful and makes me laugh.

Aurondarklord
03.23.2012 , 12:27 PM | #25
Personally, I really like Corso, mechanically he's a good tough tank and while yes the harpoon gun can sometimes be annoying, it can also be useful as hell a lot of other times, especially if you're a scoundrel, which I am, and can't engage as well at long range.

In terms of his personality, I find him endearing and appropriate to my character. admittedly, he's got nothing on Vette and her fall-out-of-chair-laughing snark lines, but he's a likeable hick and a good straight man to my smuggler's funny man. Of course, this largely comes down to how you play your smuggler, and I think one of the biggest weaknesses of the companion system is that you can get a first companion whose personality totally clashes with your character and you're stuck in affection-hell for 20 levels. I think at the very least each class's first companion should support the "default" personality of that class, AKA the star wars character they take after. In the case of the Smuggler that's of course Han Solo and if you basically play as Han, you and Corso will get along just fine, so they've succeeded in that regard.

Corso is fundamentally a light side companion though. If you play dark side, don't expect to get along with him. That doesn't make him a weak or badly designed character. Nor is Corso sexist, he's just "old-fashioned" and tries to be a gentleman.
Spoiler

If you're a male smuggler, which I am, Corso falls into the role of your bro/buddy/wingman, and does it very well. If you're female...well then yes I can see his jealousy getting annoying, but us guys are in the same boat with Risha. Hell, we're not even together yet, in fact she's sarcastically deflected all my advances so far, but I still get -affection whenever I flirt with anyone else. Talk about the queen of mixed signals!

Like every companion in the game, Corso works well with some character personalities and not so well with others. My guy is basically...a mix of Nathan Drake, Mal Reynolds, and Neal Caffery, a smooth talking, adventure loving, vaguely crooked space cowboy with a heart of gold and a girl in every spaceport...and the only real problem I've had with Corso is when he objects to my character smuggling spice in a few quests. Come on Bioware, you gave the smuggler a first companion that objects when they actually smuggle something?! Relatively minor concern in the scheme of things though.

Bytemite
03.23.2012 , 10:53 PM | #26
Corso Riggs inspires so much ambivalence on my part that he's the only character in the game who can really provoke me into posting about him on the community boards. In most every thread that gets posted about him.

I'm light side aligned so I'm not completely unaware that he's not a bad guy, but that doesn't prevent his attitudes from being really friggin' ANNOYING for me.

Star Wars universe isn't supposed to have all the gender baggage stuff, but it totally does. What was going on with Viidu and Syreena, even after what she did she was looking at Skavak to look after her. And that doesn't seem to be that uncommon, considering some of the smuggler quest line from a female perspective. There are all these NPCs hitting on me from like level 4 on, and I just want to get working, get gear, and level up. If I lived in that verse, it would be pretty much unbearable how much unwanted attention is thrown at my character from every direction.

Corso not only contributes to that, and can't take a hint, and insists I take his blaster I don't want because apparently I have no idea how to fight or equip myself... but I actually spared Syreena and I still couldn't believe the double standard hypocrisy he spouted off at me.

I can not possibly see how he acts as constituting any definition of having respect for me. If I were even inclined to accept the advances of this constant flood of overtures from the other NPCs, which I'm not because of how ridiculous it all is, I could then expect to enjoy his overprotectiveness, jealousy when we AREN'T EVEN INVOLVED, and being called promiscuous by him.

No thanks.

trfriers
04.03.2012 , 11:52 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by silvershadows View Post
Loss of free interrupt + good damage + good tanking + good looks.

Alas for them, I will take my pixel husband and go now.
Ditto!

superpeanuts
04.04.2012 , 11:33 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by teambff View Post
indeed, that's this reverse sexism attitude by meatheads where they will act all noble toward a female in terms of not hitting her like "you don't lay your hand on a female" and then they will cheat on them and treat em like crap in relationships... they lower females by putting them on this level below a male.. with this condescending way about it. always hate that attitude as if a female can't possibly be strong or smart enough to be a proper foe.

those are the same guys who think they "love females" because they wouldn't ever hit one but at the same time emotionally abuse them and use them up and cheat on them. etc. they don't do that out of "love" or a great caring they do it out of this lowering of a female as this weak, fragile little thing.

ahhhh that really annoys me, i love strong female characters and female villains all the same and to try and say they couldn't fight or be killed is a disgrace to them.

Spoiler

and corso with his false bravado and caring sickens me and all guys like him.
just earlier
Spoiler

not sure if that rant even makes any sense.
This post confuses me, because I didn't think Corso was that black & white. I chose to kill Syveena, and I didn't lose any affection with him. After I did it, he just said that he hoped I would never ask him to kill a woman and then I flirted with him and got +15. I also made the darkside choice to expose the female senator on Coruscant and Corso gave me positive affection for that too.

Agemnon
04.04.2012 , 05:09 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by teambff View Post
http://i.imgur.com/qPcUN.jpg

first i just levelled without a companion for a level, leading into and the beginning of nar'shadaa... then i completely benched corso for the ship bot.

i can't stand corso riggs, i wanted the fatman siidu to join me as companion, he was awesome.. instead i get this freak.

on top of it all for some reason he hangs out in the command area of the ship, which i'm baffled by. what business he has up front is beyond my understanding.

the ship bot is way better than corso, cut my downtime in half and he doesn't hate every decision i make. ship bot > corso.
Oh heck yeah! Too bad Viidu died =( Or else he'd be a wonderful companion in another expansion. Maybe it could be his body double died instead and you meet up with the real Viidu on a level 54 class quest or something?
Welcome to PvP, where it's socially acceptable for 40 year old geeks to beat up 12 year old boys.

cwclary
04.04.2012 , 06:50 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Agemnon View Post
Oh heck yeah! Too bad Viidu died =( Or else he'd be a wonderful companion in another expansion. Maybe it could be his body double died instead and you meet up with the real Viidu on a level 54 class quest or something?
I'd toss a coin in for a revived, vengeful, cybernetic-implanted Viidu, but he would probably be an extremely overpowered DPS: what with his laser eyes and dual-wielded saber-staffs.