Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Collector's Edition Unboxing woes (Or The Story of the Broken Authenticator)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Collector's Edition Unboxing woes (Or The Story of the Broken Authenticator)
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Fizyx
12.16.2011 , 02:11 PM | #21
At this point I'm just glad that my CE appears to have come through it 95% intact. It could certainly be worse

WaveRun
12.16.2011 , 02:11 PM | #22
definatly call. Mine is perfectly fine.

Fizyx
12.16.2011 , 02:13 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Asroha View Post
Absolutely they are that fragile.

The ones I deal with are a *little* better constructed than these, with the main difference being the raised plastic bump that not only covers the LCD screen, but magnifies the number for easier reading.

I -WISH- I could post a photo of the tokens I deal with, but I'd rather not as they are considered "sensitive" information, but trust me, they are fragile.

Line up your RMA for the broken one, and order another as a backup.
I did not know that. I have 3 WoW authenticators, and I've never had a problem with any of them (beyond stupid things that I do to them, obviously), so I thought they were a little more quality than that. Oh well, live and learn.

Darkshayde
12.16.2011 , 02:13 PM | #24
I know the little authenticator *should* last a while, but when the battery eventually runs out, can it be replaced? I don't see an obvious way to change the cell or open the fob to get to the battery?

Fizyx
12.16.2011 , 02:16 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Darkshayde View Post
I know the little authenticator *should* last a while, but when the battery eventually runs out, can it be replaced? I don't see an obvious way to change the cell or open the fob to get to the battery?
I believe at that point you must simply replace the authenticator. My first WoW authenticator has lasted for almost 3 and a half years now with no issues, and like I said above, I believe they are basically the same thing, just re-branded.

tentimes
12.16.2011 , 02:19 PM | #26
Who cares? Just get them to replace the little wibbly thing and keep playing? Can you not just go through the hardship (?!) of not authenticating for a few days? I could understand if you were 7 or something, or it meant you couldn't play the game at all.

Kimeru
12.16.2011 , 02:20 PM | #27
Let's be realistic here. Bioware doesn't package boxes with their contents. It was subbed out to a factory in Mexico...or China. It contains 80% lead and the display is Chinese drywall...jokes aside, report the damage, get the RMA and move on. Don't blame Bioware for something they've never even seen or had in their building to see. Now if they don't resolve the problem THEN you blame them. But manufacturing problems are a part of life. If you make enough things, a percentage of them WILL be broken before they're even boxed. Most likely it was packaged by machine and you're the first human to even see it.

Weaksauce
12.16.2011 , 02:23 PM | #28
Looks like air pressure damage from poor cargo hold shipping. That sucks!

Fizyx
12.16.2011 , 02:26 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by tentimes View Post
Who cares? Just get them to replace the little wibbly thing and keep playing? Can you not just go through the hardship (?!) of not authenticating for a few days? I could understand if you were 7 or something, or it meant you couldn't play the game at all.
It's sad that my post has so offended you... have you ever considered the fact that perhaps people make judgements on companies based off the quality of what they purchase... and that after an expensive purchase like this one, there shouldn't be a case where you have to 'Just get them to replace' anything in the first place? After reading some of the responses in this thread, I'm no longer convinced that there was a failure of quality control... but it's still highly disappointing to open the box and immediately see something broken.

Mordrehl
12.16.2011 , 02:30 PM | #30
WoW and TOR use the same company to produce their authenticators that the ISP I work for uses.

RSA SecureID

The difference is, my work one costs about 10x what my WoW/TOR ones do.

Different quality LCD display and the Plexiglas window on the WoW ones are far thinner than my work one.

Having said that, I have seen the ones we use for work develop cracks when stored in luggage for flights (pressure and temperature extremes) ... now imagine what the thinner Plexiglas goes through on a game fob

Call customer support, tell them delivered damaged and they'll issue a RMA

I survived the release date speculation thread