Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Add explainations to these nerfs BW

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Add explainations to these nerfs BW

Spoonster
03.18.2012 , 11:51 AM | #1
I think would go a long way to let the playerbase understand your mindset. Cuz certainly alot of your playerbase, who bought your storydriven/pve mmo with some pvp in it, are seeing massive balance for the sake of pvp, which from your own design point made about the game is not the focal point of the game, but that's semantics.

For instance lets take tracer missile, it's a good one that gets alot of hate. Now does tracer missile, in equal gear hit much harder then the equally spammable snipe and lightning strike? No it doesn't, I've check those 3 toons equally geared and can confirm that it doesn't. Does it put a debuff on the target, yep but it's an armor debuff meaning anyone doing damage that is effected by armor, wins there, and last i checked that's like half your damage dealers. Does it buff another abilitiy, railshot, yes it does however that buff is so weak, that once the 4 set pve bonus is obtained the damage per heat on the ability makes it so you don't stack it anway you should be using rail on cd. So in the end the spamming that needs to be done is 3 times to make sure your heatseeker is at max damage. Hmm 3 times, I wonder how many times a lightning sorc should spam lightning strike to make their force regens properly and damage increase buff is maintained?

So then why does it need to be nerfed? BW's stance was that you shouldn't be using 1 ability to do "decent" damage. The thing is that would mean nerf snipe and lightning strike, and other spammable/resource dependent abilities. They allow those classes to do exactly the same.

But bio didn't say do max or your best damage, they said decent. Meaning they nerfing an ability becuz bad mercs, that don't realize they can be more effective using their other abilities and bad players on the recieving end who refuse to use los or interrupts in pvp.

The point, you're making balance changes to counter act bad players or bad gameplay.

Why not be innovative, instead of reactive, and educate your playerbase on the interworkings of the classes? Instead of people are crying about this or that, we better nerf something.

sawtyss
03.18.2012 , 11:54 AM | #2
The difference is the channel time for snipe etc...
You can basically spam tracer with little to no channel time whatsoever, and benefit from it greatly.
I've seen many decent mercs who don't have to resort to this to be good, so for me its still moaning about not being able to faceroll each warzone :P

Spoonster
03.18.2012 , 11:55 AM | #3
Snipe, lightning strike, and tracer all have almost the exact same cast time.

Also outta the 50s I have, i think the highest valor rank is 7 on one of them, I don't wanna faceroll wzs.

I've just seen too many mmos over the years sink themselves for the sake of pvp balance.

The thing is pvpers move on to the next hot thing at the drop of a hat, it's your pvers that are the mainstay of mmos. And nothing makes them leave games faster then massive balance changes for the sake of pvp.

sawtyss
03.18.2012 , 12:10 PM | #4
Snipe has a 3.5 second channel time, which compared to 1.5 seconds on Tracer is a huge difference, so please don't compare these two.
Yes lightning strike has 1.5sec channel time too, but it does not appl armor reduction stacks, so its unfair to compare it either :/

Spoonster
03.18.2012 , 12:17 PM | #5
That'd be for the sniper following the flock and not taking deadly directive and sniper volley, which is folly, and again goes back to educating the playerbase, but the combat log will help with that.

Those mercs you see that are spewing really fast tracers, aren't following the flock and took systems calibrations and critical reaction.

Also lightning strike is not kinetic damage, you can have all the armor in the world and it doesn't effect it's damage since it's ya know not kinetic. Which would make it pretty weird of it added an armor debuff.

Again, it's about knowing the classes, not just your own but the others as well.

We're also getting away from the point of the thread here, it's to not make sweeping balance changes cuz of bad gameply. BW clearly felt overall arsenal dps was good where it was, it's why the tracer nerf was countered with hsm buff and more barrage procs. They don't want to lower arsenal damage they just want to stop baddies from spamming it. And my point was why not try educating players that hey guess what your other abilities are actually better then spamming that one. But you cant' say it's cuz they can spam 1 ability and do decent damage, because half the dps trees can do that.

il-jumper
03.18.2012 , 03:27 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Spoonster View Post
Now does tracer missile, in equal gear hit much harder then the equally spammable snipe and lightning strike? No it doesn't,

I stopped reading there.

I never saw Snipe do 2k Damage while I take 4k TM while wearing BM Gear.

Lets not Add TM Gives Energy Back. Cost Less Energy. Gives Minus Armor and its Kinetic Damage.

Cruces
03.18.2012 , 04:12 PM | #7
Bioware: "you get on explination. Just shut your mouth and pay your $15! Its a Star Wars and we are Bioware for crying out loud!"

Sylriana
03.18.2012 , 04:29 PM | #8
Quote:
Also lightning strike is not kinetic damage, you can have all the armor in the world and it doesn't effect it's damage since it's ya know not kinetic. Which would make it pretty weird of it added an armor debuff.
Uhh.... Lightning Strike does energy damage, which is effected by armor.

prochuvi
03.18.2012 , 05:21 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by sawtyss View Post
Snipe has a 3.5 second channel time, which compared to 1.5 seconds on Tracer is a huge difference, so please don't compare these two.
Yes lightning strike has 1.5sec channel time too, but it does not appl armor reduction stacks, so its unfair to compare it either :/
http://www.torhead.com/ability/aZM9JIO/snipe

and another smugler/ia that dont know his class

EchoTwoOmega
03.18.2012 , 05:22 PM | #10
1.2 is up on the PTR.

Why not go see how "bad" the nerfs are.
Squadron 367