Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Frame rate in the toilet, any suggestions?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service (Read-Only)
Frame rate in the toilet, any suggestions?

playedspades
12.16.2011 , 01:34 PM | #1
First off, bioware, please install a search function to your forums.

But to the point, my frame rate is in the toilet and i can't figure out why. My system specs are

AMD Phenom x4 2.2GHz
8GB DDR2 800 system ram
ATI Radeon HD 4670
Windows 7 x64

so far, i've tried updating my graphics drivers and increasing the size of my page file, both had no effect. my hardware isn't spectacular, but it more than meets the recommended system specs for TOR. Is there a compatibility issue with the HD 4670?

seriously, my frame rate averages between 7 and 12 in the game. it's nearly unplayable. My GPU stays between 80% and 99% with all the graphic settings at their absolute minimum, while playing TOR. Yet i can play new titles like modern warfare 3 and assassins creed revelations at maximum graphic settings and my GPU never spikes above 70%

if anybody knows something i don't, i'd appreciate any help.

Sviinet
12.16.2011 , 01:41 PM | #2
My hardware is a bit worse than yours, but I still manage to get a bit more fps out of it, most of the time it's around 20-25, with everything at the minimum or turned off than you mentioned.

You may want to make sure that all unnecessary applications that are running in the backround while you play are turned off.

You may have done this already and in that case I'm sorry that I don't have any other tips to give right now.

My FPS was far better in the last beta weekend, with better graphical options enabled in-game.

Hope we can get more answers and tips asap!

Take care! =)
What you just read was written by a crazy MMO-vet viking.

Founder of the Swedish guild Ruthless - Website - Forums

Arasthor
12.16.2011 , 01:41 PM | #3
Im in the same boat as you, i was playing in taris just fine, went into a team convo and the i was basically moving like a robot. Im not sure how to check the frame rate but my guess its low as hell. This thing is making playing impossible.

Daralan
12.16.2011 , 01:44 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Arasthor View Post
Im in the same boat as you, i was playing in taris just fine, went into a team convo and the i was basically moving like a robot. Im not sure how to check the frame rate but my guess its low as hell. This thing is making playing impossible.

CTRL-SHIFT-F to check framerate, the numbers are small but they are in the bottom left corner.

renegadeimp
12.16.2011 , 01:46 PM | #5
Go to graphics options, set the preset to low or high ( the opposite of what it is now).
Click apply.
Go back to preset and switch to the opposite again.
Click Apply.
Now choose your ideal setting, but this time making sure shadows are turned to MIN or OFF.
Click Apply.
Click ok.
Streamline - A guide to speeding up low - mid range Computer systems.
Latency Thread - Latency issue gathering thread..
Have a tech issue you need help with? You can nomally find me on the Customer Support forum.

Callmenads
12.16.2011 , 01:48 PM | #6
Turn shadows off. The game has a known mem leak, and shadows is a big part of the problem.

Edit: Yes need a search.. sorry
. OPOD - Lost, but never forgotten.

SW:TOR Leet

Daralan
12.16.2011 , 01:50 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by playedspades View Post
First off, bioware, please install a search function to your forums.

But to the point, my frame rate is in the toilet and i can't figure out why. My system specs are

AMD Phenom x4 2.2GHz
8GB DDR2 800 system ram
ATI Radeon HD 4670
Windows 7 x64

so far, i've tried updating my graphics drivers and increasing the size of my page file, both had no effect. my hardware isn't spectacular, but it more than meets the recommended system specs for TOR. Is there a compatibility issue with the HD 4670?

seriously, my frame rate averages between 7 and 12 in the game. it's nearly unplayable. My GPU stays between 80% and 99% with all the graphic settings at their absolute minimum, while playing TOR. Yet i can play new titles like modern warfare 3 and assassins creed revelations at maximum graphic settings and my GPU never spikes above 70%

if anybody knows something i don't, i'd appreciate any help.

I am investigating the same issue for a friend, his fps is < 5 for the most part. There are a few other threads on here with other ideas however finding them is tough without a search function. I have seen the following suggestions but have not tried them as of yet:

turn bloom off in graphics options as well as shadowing.

change all settings in graphics options to medium or high then save and exit then change the options back to low settings.

turn off vsync was suggested in one thread.

there are a few more that I cannot remember at the moment but if I run across them again I will update your thread with a link or two.

Arasthor
12.16.2011 , 01:54 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Daralan View Post
CTRL-SHIFT-F to check framerate, the numbers are small but they are in the bottom left corner.
Thanks, my framerate is in the 4-7s, i guess that explains it. The game is basically unfreaking playable until i have any clues on how to fix this. Ive turned off everything in the background and put the setting at every level but nothing. It just stays the same.

wamcei
12.16.2011 , 01:57 PM | #9
I seem to be having the same problem especially when i enter buildings or caves. is there a way to turn down the clip plane scale? Searched everywhere in game and can not find a solution to it

Callmenads
12.16.2011 , 01:58 PM | #10
Posting system specs, and things you have already tried would help us find the solution to your problems.
. OPOD - Lost, but never forgotten.

SW:TOR Leet