Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Guild advertising

ylaenna
03.20.2012 , 08:58 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Ransom_BiC View Post
I'm surprised by the amount of people who join ANY guild who advertises in general chat. There is no way I'm going to spam general for members. Our guild's been around for 10 years now, and the people in our group are people I've met in game, and/or people I've met through the forums.

I can't imagine just wanting to join a chat spammer guild. That can't be what most people want in a guild, can it?
I completely agree. Why anyone would want complete strangers in their guild or want to join a guild that takes any old schmoe (we welcome all levels and all playstyles!) is beyond me. However there are many people who are like that. C'est la vie.

This is probably why my guild has remained small.

SuperGrunt
03.20.2012 , 09:06 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by ylaenna View Post
I completely agree. Why anyone would want complete strangers in their guild or want to join a guild that takes any old schmoe (we welcome all levels and all playstyles!) is beyond me. However there are many people who are like that. C'est la vie.

So in other words you couldn't be bothered with making new friends and helping them become better at the game?

Thanks that is more people that will join my guild then, so that I can help them go from average to above average.
My propsed changes to Loot Rules.
My Twitch channel, both a link and the address so you can choose how you visit it. twitch.tv/otawo

ylaenna
03.20.2012 , 09:32 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by SuperGrunt View Post
So in other words you couldn't be bothered with making new friends and helping them become better at the game?

Thanks that is more people that will join my guild then, so that I can help them go from average to above average.
I'm as helpful as they get (been known to chase after newbies to buff/heal, for example). Doesn't mean everyone I help is someone I'd invite into the guild. All of us in the guild are quite picky. The guild is our escape from the masses you find in general chat. Why would we want to bring general chat into the guild?

That's great you enjoy that sort of thing. More power to you.

Also, didn't you know... you can make friends and actually not have them in your guild. Maybe they're already in one of their own that they're happy with. Imagine that.

Ransom_BiC
03.20.2012 , 01:10 PM | #24
We will definitely take all levels and stuff, and generally I don't care if you have raided before, have experience, etc-- and I'm definitely for meeting new people and stuff- but I kind of feel like we are the only people who still 'interview' potentials for membership in our guild.

I've always felt like you can pretty much teach anyone how to avoid sucking at game play, but it's really hard to teach someone to be a decent human being, if they aren't one. And generally, I can pick out a douchecanoe pretty quickly.
NAT
Guildmaster
Born in Chaos
Come find your gaming family with Born in Chaos

Guildrum
03.20.2012 , 01:19 PM | #25
I am currently guild hunting right now, and I think a guild recruitment/advertisement/discussion channel would be an excellent idea! Maybe a guild notice board where people can put up a little "brochure" of their guild, their values, ideas, requirements to join, and maybe it can be updated with upcoming events and the like.
The Shaffer Legacy: Begeren Colony

Shaffer Lazy-eye Horace Sleth
Journalist, Pirate Bodyguard Sith

ScarletBlaze
03.20.2012 , 01:23 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Pompeybear View Post
So I get 1 hour a day to play, maybe I don't want to spend hours a day looking through the web to find a guild that is A) on my server B) suits my social play style C) a good guild, they all claim to be good! and lastly guild recruitment spamming is filling up the world general chat channel as thats the only place they can put it, forcing EVERYBODY to look at it which is clearly annoying a lot of people.

Small guilds will always spam chat channels, at least they would have somewhere they could put it
Disagree a small guild will not always spam chat channels. I am a guild leader of a small guild and we never spam chat channels. For one, we have rules set up that everyone has to agree to if they want to join and two we are a roleplaying guild and the ones that join our guild has to be able to accept that we roleplay and show that they are respectable to the members in the guild and outside the guild.
A southern girl is a girl who knows full well that she can open a door for herself but prefers for the gentleman to do it because it demonstrates a sense of respect. Current Guild Roleplay: Redemption: The battle of Xa Fel https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=...ps/r-1rAjOuo30

Scorpienne
03.20.2012 , 02:49 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Guildrum View Post
I am currently guild hunting right now, and I think a guild recruitment/advertisement/discussion channel would be an excellent idea! Maybe a guild notice board where people can put up a little "brochure" of their guild, their values, ideas, requirements to join, and maybe it can be updated with upcoming events and the like.
That's kinda what the Guild area of the SWTOR forums is...

Paige

Ransom_BiC
03.20.2012 , 03:27 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Scorpienne View Post
That's kinda what the Guild area of the SWTOR forums is...

Paige

^^

Also, try the Guild Quiz
NAT
Guildmaster
Born in Chaos
Come find your gaming family with Born in Chaos

Pompeybear
03.21.2012 , 05:38 AM | #29
So far the answer has been use forums and don't use chat channels in game.

I have used the forums and on the busiest EU server Tomb of freedon Nadd there are 52 adverts for guilds. Basically half are not rep, and most are looking for hardcore pvpers. I am a social gamer who drops in every night for 1 hour. I am having trouble locating a guild I will fit into yet I am being told I am not looking hard enough because good guilds don't need to avertise!

It seems the people who are in guilds and are happy are the ones saying there is no problem. Well a few people on this thread are saying there is a problem.

Why is a sepaerate chat channel with guild recruitment seen as such a bad thing? It will stop world chat being filled with guild recruitment chat and give the people looking for a guild somewhere to look WHILE PLAYING. If you dont want to look at this channel TURN IT OFF (if it was created of course)

This thread has disappointed me.

Sallakat
03.21.2012 , 06:59 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by ylaenna View Post

I dont understand either how one would join a random guild based on a general ad spam (yes there can sometimes be excessive advertising on the chat that I consider spam) or why a guild would want random people joining.

For me it worked perfectly to run some heroics with same people (first by accident that we ended up in same heroics) and then soon they asked me to join the same guild they just had joined themselves. Same minded, funny people I dont see why it wouldnt work for others too.

I would also not invite just anyone to the guild that I happen to do runs with, there has to be 'something' there and of course there's the class population at stake too. Like we have quite a lot of juggs and assasins so I might think twice with these classes. Of course sometimes the personality is a killer and you just gotta have 'em
<REBUILT>
Kaia - sorcerer | Aino - operative | Katriina - assassin | Lení - sorcerer
www.rebuilt.enjin.com