Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Best class for DPS


stephenalandavie's Avatar


stephenalandavie
03.17.2012 , 10:56 PM | #1
Hi

I have a level 27 sorcerer and after reading 1.2 iv decided to reroll, now i am wondering what the best class for DPS is, i am thinking bounty hunter, any suggestions?

mathisk's Avatar


mathisk
03.17.2012 , 11:12 PM | #2
Since 1.2 is still on the PTS and very much in flux, making decissions based on it now is kind of premature. You're no doubt re-rolling because your class is being "nerfed to the ground," but that's what all the nay-sayers are saying about all their favorite classes. So the best way to avoid rolling a class that's going to get "nerfed hard" in 1.2 is to wait until 1.2 actually comes out and then roll the new flavor of the month.

Or, if you want to re-roll now and hope for the best, it sounds like Marauders are getting buffed. So roll one of those and hope that the reports are true - and stay true.

But seriously, re-rolling because of what a bunch of complainers say about things they assume from the first build put on the PTS, when it hasn't even been up for a full day, is kind of jumping the gun.

OH yeah, looks like Bounty Hunters are getting nerfed hard, too. Might want to avoid them as well.

Shrilokka's Avatar


Shrilokka
03.17.2012 , 11:19 PM | #3
Play what you find fun. If you just play for high DPS or best class you will never enjoy anything. It is common in any MMO for classes to have tons of ups and downs in awesomeness. Next patch your sorc may suck, but the patch after that it could be the best class. You never know. Play what you find fun!
I'm the closest thing there is to the Grim Reaper... If i have a contract on you.. Your time has come

shama's Avatar


shama
03.18.2012 , 02:35 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by stephenalandavie View Post
i am wondering what the best class for DPS is
Usually the one controlled by the player I am up against in a one-on-one in a warzone ...
Quote: Originally Posted by Bertrand Russell
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision

WahineKoa's Avatar


WahineKoa
03.18.2012 , 02:38 AM | #5
I would roll Gunnery Commando (Trooper) in case you like ranged dps. Very powerful in both solo missions and fp`s and ops.

W.K.

stephenalandavie's Avatar


stephenalandavie
03.18.2012 , 05:58 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Shrilokka View Post
Play what you find fun. If you just play for high DPS or best class you will never enjoy anything. It is common in any MMO for classes to have tons of ups and downs in awesomeness. Next patch your sorc may suck, but the patch after that it could be the best class. You never know. Play what you find fun!
If i do reroll then i would not delete my old class in case of this, I like to have my fun best with Ranged DPS,

I do have melee classses to such as a sentinel on the Rep side, it is just i am a firm favourite of ranged gameplay, Tanking is good to.

iloveicarly's Avatar


iloveicarly
03.18.2012 , 06:00 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by stephenalandavie View Post
Hi

I have a level 27 sorcerer and after reading 1.2 iv decided to reroll, now i am wondering what the best class for DPS is, i am thinking bounty hunter, any suggestions?
make a mara there getting buffed so that rage spec has a 9 sec CD on a 7K aoe bomb

Ephemeriis's Avatar


Ephemeriis
03.19.2012 , 07:53 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Shrilokka View Post
Play what you find fun. If you just play for high DPS or best class you will never enjoy anything. It is common in any MMO for classes to have tons of ups and downs in awesomeness. Next patch your sorc may suck, but the patch after that it could be the best class. You never know. Play what you find fun!
This.

Class balance in an MMOG is a moving target. One class will be perceived (correctly or not) to be too weak, or broken in some way; and it'll get a buff. Some other class will be perceived (correctly or not) to be too strong, or overpowered in some way; and it'll get a nerf.

And then... A few days/weeks/months later... The same thing will happen again - maybe even to the same classes again.

Aiming for whatever is the current statistical winner is only going to be rewarding if your idea of fun is graphing data in Excel.

Play what you enjoy. Pick a class because it's easy to get groups... Or because it looks ******... Or because you've got a neat RP background cooked up... Or you enjoy a specific gameplay mechanic...

Don't pick a class because this week it's doing 2% more DPS than everyone else.
"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
--Oscar Wilde

stephenalandavie's Avatar


stephenalandavie
03.19.2012 , 08:00 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Ephemeriis View Post
This.

Class balance in an MMOG is a moving target. One class will be perceived (correctly or not) to be too weak, or broken in some way; and it'll get a buff. Some other class will be perceived (correctly or not) to be too strong, or overpowered in some way; and it'll get a nerf.

And then... A few days/weeks/months later... The same thing will happen again - maybe even to the same classes again.

Aiming for whatever is the current statistical winner is only going to be rewarding if your idea of fun is graphing data in Excel.

Play what you enjoy. Pick a class because it's easy to get groups... Or because it looks ******... Or because you've got a neat RP background cooked up... Or you enjoy a specific gameplay mechanic...

Don't pick a class because this week it's doing 2% more DPS than everyone else.
My past few classes have all been lightsaber based I am tempted to choose a class with blasters just not sure as of yet.

Tbh the way populations are going i may not be here that long.

wardrich's Avatar


wardrich
03.19.2012 , 08:48 PM | #10
Rolling because a class is the latest FOTM is not a wise choice. FOTM changes like the seasons so you're better off finding a class you really enjoy and getting to know it inside out.

A good player who knows an average class well is far better than an average player playing a strong class.