why do SI and JC have light armor?

Reikok

i'm being serious.

I always viewed the reason they had better healing and better dps was we die so fast.

I am not one of those who is all OMG the world is ending!

I really would like to know if we are balancing everyone... why the different armors

if someone who understands balance better then me sees this could you explain what these 2 classes have that compensates for the light armor? I suppose one could argue their shield does, but i'm not too sure since one it honestly doesn't last very long

For those who are wondering i have played

SI, smug, knight and BH

my SI and smuggler are lvl 50

Its the basic design of all caster classes mmo wide. They aren't called "Glass Cannons" for nothing. High dmg input is the tradeoff for high dmg output.

oh this i completely understand, but nerfs were asked for and put out to even out their dps and healing (which i'm not against persay) but in doing that doesn't that take the cannon out of glass cannon

Why not? We're in light armour, sure, but my guild would rather a shadow tank as much as a guardian tank. We've had epic lolz when he took zero damage from Foreman Crusher's frenzy attack. Our guardian tank and our shadow tank switch places all the time. Light armour? Pshhh. It makes no difference.

I'm a dps shadow, and to be honest, my survivability is just fine.

Note that he is talking about dps not tanking. When a shadow / assassin tanks they have a stance that increases their armor but if you are doing dps you still have to sit there in unbuffed light armor. I don't have any of the other classes to 50 yet but my damage does not appear to be better than theirs at all, maybe worse when they have heavier armor. One thing consulars and inquisitors have though is their base defense chance is 10% instead of 5%. Sadly though melee dps gets a lot of aoe hits on them in HM fights that I have done that ranged dps don't even have to worry. Some are awareness ones that have to be interrupted or avoided, but there are some that you don't get a warning and just hit the area around the boss instantly.

Simple, SI's aren't meant to have that burdensome armor, weighing them down, period. Long, flowing, elegant robes, to match their combat style. They move swiftly, almost like a dance, etc.

Did you ever see prominent SI Sidious ever on the front lines, in all that armor leading a charge? No.

Just speaking from my POV, for my class.

Just throwing this out there as an idea, but not necessarily backing it. Nadia and Kira with this patch got a passive ability to buff their armor one of them I think is called "strong in the force" or some such and considering the shadows tanking stance increases their armor devs could make it so shadows get a passive armor increase ability playing off of protection due to force, or just attach it to the other stances so they wouldn't have to edit the percent on the tanking stance. However I think this is what the extra 5% defense chance consulars* get is supposed to be for. Then again as a dps in pve most of the damage I take is from aoe which I haven't ever noticed myself deflect/dodge.

*Edited to say consulars instead of shadows since all jc get it, as well as inquisitors.

Edited by WoruulKeei

Though part of what annoys me about how shadows are light armor class is that they lose out on some of their main stat for doing damage with end gear. Because they need to be able to absorb damage better being up in melee and getting hit by more aoe attacks, not all the armorings of their end gear are willpower heavy but instead some are endurance heavy which really annoys me as a dps class. I would rather they fix that some way other than gimping our stats by forcing endurance down our throats. Edited by WoruulKeei

Though part of what annoys me about how shadows are light armor class is that they lose out on some of their main stat for doing damage with end gear. Because they need to be able to absorb damage better being up in melee and getting hit by more aoe attacks, not all the armorings of their end gear are willpower heavy but instead some are endurance heavy which really annoys me as a dps class. I would rather they fix that some way other than gimping our stats by forcing endurance down our throats.

Everyone class has alot of endurance on their gear so actually research other AC's gear to back your claims as they are pretty much moot in every sense. You do realise Assassins/shadow have high armor in tank stance, and in other stances there a TIER 1 ARMOR RATING BUFF in the mid tree for 30% in those dps stances. This buff puts them on par with the other melee classes mitigation in their DPS STANCES.

You say you have SI and smuggler at 50? Have you actually noticed a significant difference in survivability?

There's a tremendous difference in survive-ability. Shield Probe, Evasion, Defence Relic, Cloaking Screen, armour that's not paper thin. People love dumping on the Operative but I think some elements of it are quite good, more so in PvP. I never called for any OP nerfs, even when they were LOL critting for 8-9K...

Force Speed is not a dependable solution to get away. 70% of the time they get a stun/root off and you are dead in the water. And force bubble breaks in the time it takes to use an opener. With force charge inherently rooting, were so dead its not even funny. Not to mention that out resource regeneration mechanic costs us health. I'd rather lose a TA any day compared to 15% of my health. Stim Boost is WAY better than what well have for PvP in 1.2 Litterally Bioware F'ed us over without lube.

Its the basic design of all caster classes mmo wide. They aren't called "Glass Cannons" for nothing. High dmg input is the tradeoff for high dmg output.
High dmg output? Where? They even took the Wrath - CL combo away.

OP actually has a valid question there. It doesn't make any sense why BH gets more armor rating than Sorc. They even deal better damage than sorcerers especially after 1.2 patch.

Only Sorc has more CC abilities though, but does that make one wear light armor?

Edited by PalawaJoko

High dmg output? Where? They even took the Wrath - CL combo away.

OP actually has a valid question there. It doesn't make any sense why BH gets more armor rating than Sorc. They even deal better damage than sorcerers especially after 1.2 patch.

Only Sorc has more CC abilities though, but does that make one wear light armor?

I agree, BH have better dps, we have better healing! Light armor? Come on Bioware. Come on.

You have significantly more utility, thats the trade off.

Both classes have their niche.

Actually, this is going to become untrue when 1.2 hits. The only way to get all the "super utility" that people complain about is through the hybrid spec.

However the changes to Telekinetic Wave not being usable in conjunction with the Telekinetic Throw proc mean that the Hybrid spec is effectively broken, bucause that's where it's main damage source was. Sure, we can still have Tk-throw proc to instant cast Disturbance, which when specced might (30% chance) proc an instant Tk-wave. However, both of those skills being comparatively light hitters, waiting for Tk-wave procs isn't feasible, even if it had a higher proc chance than 30%.

As such, the trade-off for extra utility will already be there in noticeably decreased damage output.

@thread: Aside from this, it's worth noting that we're not, and never have been, a glass cannon. Our ST burst DPS is abysmal compared to pretty much any class that isn't tank/heal specced. Presently, we rely on the CC to be on an even footing. A real glass cannon relies on being able to kill before they are killed through strength of DPS. After 1.2.... well, I don't think it will be pretty. We'll be more of a "glass bacterial infection". Annoying, but hardly lethal.

Edited by Tyrias