Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

why do SI and JC have light armor?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
why do SI and JC have light armor?

WoruulKeei
03.18.2012 , 05:23 PM | #11
Just throwing this out there as an idea, but not necessarily backing it. Nadia and Kira with this patch got a passive ability to buff their armor one of them I think is called "strong in the force" or some such and considering the shadows tanking stance increases their armor devs could make it so shadows get a passive armor increase ability playing off of protection due to force, or just attach it to the other stances so they wouldn't have to edit the percent on the tanking stance. However I think this is what the extra 5% defense chance consulars* get is supposed to be for. Then again as a dps in pve most of the damage I take is from aoe which I haven't ever noticed myself deflect/dodge.

*Edited to say consulars instead of shadows since all jc get it, as well as inquisitors.
The true master of death is the one no one knows of.

enigmacypher
03.18.2012 , 07:49 PM | #12
SI and JC have light armor as they are light armor classes .. simple as that it was an arbitrary idea and they get tanking from abilities and forms

WoruulKeei
03.20.2012 , 02:52 PM | #13
Though part of what annoys me about how shadows are light armor class is that they lose out on some of their main stat for doing damage with end gear. Because they need to be able to absorb damage better being up in melee and getting hit by more aoe attacks, not all the armorings of their end gear are willpower heavy but instead some are endurance heavy which really annoys me as a dps class. I would rather they fix that some way other than gimping our stats by forcing endurance down our throats.
The true master of death is the one no one knows of.

Shredzz
03.20.2012 , 11:13 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by WoruulKeei View Post
Though part of what annoys me about how shadows are light armor class is that they lose out on some of their main stat for doing damage with end gear. Because they need to be able to absorb damage better being up in melee and getting hit by more aoe attacks, not all the armorings of their end gear are willpower heavy but instead some are endurance heavy which really annoys me as a dps class. I would rather they fix that some way other than gimping our stats by forcing endurance down our throats.
Everyone class has alot of endurance on their gear so actually research other AC's gear to back your claims as they are pretty much moot in every sense. You do realise Assassins/shadow have high armor in tank stance, and in other stances there a TIER 1 ARMOR RATING BUFF in the mid tree for 30% in those dps stances. This buff puts them on par with the other melee classes mitigation in their DPS STANCES.
Tomb of Freedon Nadd(EU)
Shredz 50 Powertech
<Take a Seat>

dutch-master
03.21.2012 , 12:10 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by FrostyDroid View Post
You say you have SI and smuggler at 50? Have you actually noticed a significant difference in survivability?
There's a tremendous difference in survive-ability. Shield Probe, Evasion, Defence Relic, Cloaking Screen, armour that's not paper thin. People love dumping on the Operative but I think some elements of it are quite good, more so in PvP. I never called for any OP nerfs, even when they were LOL critting for 8-9K...

Force Speed is not a dependable solution to get away. 70% of the time they get a stun/root off and you are dead in the water. And force bubble breaks in the time it takes to use an opener. With force charge inherently rooting, were so dead its not even funny. Not to mention that out resource regeneration mechanic costs us health. I'd rather lose a TA any day compared to 15% of my health. Stim Boost is WAY better than what well have for PvP in 1.2 Litterally Bioware F'ed us over without lube.

Sabredance
03.21.2012 , 04:33 AM | #16
The better question is -
Why do you have 10% base melee/ranged defense while a Guardian has 5% unspecced.

Drewhat
03.21.2012 , 07:18 AM | #17
Heavy armor pays 50% more per death in repairs than light armor since they have to repair 3 pts for every 2 pts that light armor wearers lose. Obviously this doesn't matter in PvP.

PalawaJoko
03.21.2012 , 01:12 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Blaac View Post
Its the basic design of all caster classes mmo wide. They aren't called "Glass Cannons" for nothing. High dmg input is the tradeoff for high dmg output.
High dmg output? Where? They even took the Wrath - CL combo away.

OP actually has a valid question there. It doesn't make any sense why BH gets more armor rating than Sorc. They even deal better damage than sorcerers especially after 1.2 patch.

Only Sorc has more CC abilities though, but does that make one wear light armor?
..{⋤⋥}_________+
../ΞΞ/‾|└‾⌋_/\∏∏∏/
./Ξ/
"You can run, but you'll only die tired."

georgelue
03.23.2012 , 08:55 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by PalawaJoko View Post
High dmg output? Where? They even took the Wrath - CL combo away.

OP actually has a valid question there. It doesn't make any sense why BH gets more armor rating than Sorc. They even deal better damage than sorcerers especially after 1.2 patch.

Only Sorc has more CC abilities though, but does that make one wear light armor?
I agree, BH have better dps, we have better healing! Light armor? Come on Bioware. Come on.
Noxious Jen'ari
Hardcore │ PVE │ PVP │ PST
Website FAQ Guild HQ

GrumpySwe
03.24.2012 , 03:30 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by georgelue View Post
I agree, BH have better dps, we have better healing! Light armor? Come on Bioware. Come on.
You have significantly more utility, thats the trade off.
Both classes have their niche.