Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Proton Torpedo usage is ambiguous making it a worthless upgrade

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Proton Torpedo usage is ambiguous making it a worthless upgrade
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

OmegaCat
05.05.2012 , 08:41 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by BakaNiNaru View Post
The only problem with Zosha Advance if you have the proton torpedos equipped is that you only get 4 of them. If you use one of them to destroy the bridge for the bonus "disable the capital ship" mission, that only leaves you with 3 proton torpedoes to destroy the remaining 4 shield generators (which are a required mission objective). You can use the method I described of firing a proton torpedo, and during it's cooldown fire regular missles at another target to overcome this. However, if you do not get this done; if you fire all 4 proton torpedoes and still have 1 shield generator left, you WILL be locked out of regular missiles on that target and will likely fail the mission.
Were you not listening? You don't NEED torpedoes for the generators. Just a few extra missiles. If you use on on the bridge, and 3 on 4 generators, that only leaves you one to destroy with regular missiles. I don't see what the confusion is about. I beat that mission daily with NO torpedoes at all.

justntrue
05.21.2012 , 06:37 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by OmegaCat View Post
Were you not listening? You don't NEED torpedoes for the generators. Just a few extra missiles. If you use on on the bridge, and 3 on 4 generators, that only leaves you one to destroy with regular missiles. I don't see what the confusion is about. I beat that mission daily with NO torpedoes at all.
Correction: you beat the mission without installing proton torpedos.

BIIIG difference. The game mechanic locks out usage of the regular missile with proton torps equipped. hence, you with your piddly little missiles defeated it easily. But, those of us with mega proton missiles are locked out of using piddly missles the way you did.

why?

Debug this crap. Put Proton torps on hotkey 5 please.
Reverence on Dalborra
reverence.co for applications

Valakhnarr
05.21.2012 , 07:17 PM | #13
I agree that they need to make the torpedoes a selectable option, but the Zosha Advance/Clouds of Vondoru missions can be done quite easily with the torpedoes.

As long as you have a torpedo loaded, you cannot fire the regular missiles. While a torpedo is loading, or once you've used all 4 torpedoes, then missiles work as normal. The targeting of the torpedoes is definitely different than the missiles; as you hold down the right mouse button, you get a large targeting reticule which you don't get for the missiles. When the torpedo is locked, the reticule flashes, and you release the mouse button.

To do the generators, as soon as you're in range, fire a torpedo at one generator. While the torpedo reloads, pick a different generator, and shoot off 4 missiles at it. Then, destroy either the bridge or another generator with a torpedo. Again, during reload, finish off the generator you started with the missiles. Destroy the last two generators with torpedoes, and you will now have the use of missiles for turrets and interceptors, and if you still need to destroy the last generator. Don't delay targeting the generators with torpedoes, as you don't get that many passes over the capital ship until later in the mission, when you will need your missiles.

Or, unload your torpedoes, and simply skip the bonus quest, that works also.

Horta
06.26.2012 , 01:37 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by CarpLTunnel View Post
I dont see what would be so hard adding a single extra slot. that is fired via right mouse button like the missiles because if the object is targetable by both it defaults to the torpedo first. Which is very annoying.
Old Republic is a computer game. We all have keyboards with at least 100 different keys on them. "Press to do THIS, but press and hold to do THAT" is idiotic nonsense that has no business in a game with a mouse and keyboard interface.