Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Slicing will single handedly ruin the economy

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Slicing will single handedly ruin the economy

Cetic
12.16.2011 , 05:37 PM | #21
honestly it depends on how much you can make from slicing per hour at 50. In your example of 4 hours of spending your companion doing something. 16 seconds of your time and just clicking a button. Then you turn the credits into a more WoW look. 1 credit = 1 copper. Which it basically is cuz you pick it up by the 10s from level 1. Meaning 10,000 credits is 1 gold. at cap in WoW I think you can kill something and loot it for 1 gold within 16 seconds. And then who's to say you can't send a companion on a mission at and sell the mats for more.

Either way I think this thread is giving more credit to what a single credit is worth. I don't have slicing and I've made enough to buy my speeder + skill 2x over. If other crew skills are complaining on their worth it's because you're leveling it to to level not for profit currently I'm sure. So I'll make an item and either give it to a friend or disassemble it losing basically all that it was worth, and the missions/gathering my crew cost me to gather.

jordachep
12.16.2011 , 05:57 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Scoobings View Post
I'm willing to bet that the returns on materials at level 50 will be way more than this. Just saying. Slicing is great right now because the economy is unstable. You can't use the economy now as an indication of where things will be even 3 months from now.
He is correct. Short term, go for it and capitalize, but don't fall in love because you will need to move on to something else.

I foresee mass inflation soon... really soon. I've played WoW for years and I've seen this kind of thing before. A solid 3 months is needed for the economy to start to level out, but things are going to change really fast and really soon.

iYukiFox
12.16.2011 , 06:03 PM | #23
NO! Bioware being utterly stupid enough to remove the GTN off of every planet expect for coruscant/DK and the fleets will ruin the economy. Do you have any idea how much repair bills will be at 50? Even if you aren't a raider, you can understand if I tell you on learning nights you will go through anywhere from 300-600k in repair bills...a night.

Annoron
12.16.2011 , 06:07 PM | #24
I took slicing for the augments. With cybertech I can fill a lot of slots.

I'm up to 300 slicing since I brought my laptop into work and sent my minions off on slicing missions throughout the day. I think I've made roughly 20k credit profit doing this for 8 hours. It's good, and it's nice I can do that. I think it only seems ground breaking because I'm running missions in the 43-48 range. Slicing missions my level don't make nearly that profit. It's roughly 100 credits profit for a 10 minute mission. Nothing.

You're comparing things out of level. I'm sure it's more than fair at high levels for its profitability.

ShadowAxx
12.16.2011 , 06:28 PM | #25
Slicing is fine the way it is. To be at 200+ at level 17, I wonder if you were doing ANYTHING else.

I'm lvl 17 BH and just hit 75, and I have been paying attention to slice opportunities, but have not farming. I'm just hitting boxes when I see them.

I'd say any stealth class, has the chance to sneak up and slice turrets, robots, otherwise your looking for boxes, safes, lockers.

Slicing is fine.

CaesarsGhost
12.16.2011 , 06:54 PM | #26
I think if you send one of your crew off on any of the crew missions, its all about time invested and what you see out of it. I think at later lvls you will see bigger rewards out of TH/I/UW/DIP then you will slicing. Time spent vs. value of that time; whether that time is spent by you or your crew.

Felioats
12.16.2011 , 07:22 PM | #27
I think there's a chance Bioware has actually already thought of this. They might even have access to numbers that we don't, showing it's fine.

Helagoth
12.16.2011 , 08:24 PM | #28
What makes slicing OP more than anything, and correct me if I'm wrong but this is my understanding, is that when you send someone out on those 30 minute missions, you can swap characters, do it again, and have multiple characters doing it concurrently.

Since there's no level limit attached to your skills, once you get 2 companions (which is ~lvl 16), you can be continually sending out guys on missions. It'll be way too easy to generate huge amounts of credits.

Where the biggest problem with this is in new people. Yes, 100k credits will shortly be not that much money. Purple armor will be on the AH for 300k credits. And new people will join, look at that, and get discouraged. Then they'll see an add for "buy a million credits for $10". And gold sellers have a field day.

In general, gold sellers don't thrive when currency is hard to get, they thrive when it's easy to get. And then we get things like hacked accounts, which is no fun for anyone.
Integrity MMO Community
Casual, no pressure, Quality Raiding - Juyo Server
PvE - EST - Mature Players Only

Varaben
12.16.2011 , 08:36 PM | #29
I think what he's worried about is that you can basically AFK macro this if you get a third party click program (not sure these work and I assume they are against some rules). Imagine if you have 20 free inventory slots. If the mission takes 30 minutes you can then afk macro this for 10 hours and get 20 lockboxes.

That is why he is worried about the economy and I think it's a valid concern. You can then ad a macro that makes you move around every so often which stops you from logging out.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

krighton
12.17.2011 , 11:07 AM | #30
whatever, i'll just keep grinding slicing until they nerf it into oblivion like mmo's always do to parts of the game that are enjoyable. Then i'll switch to something else.