Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Slicing will single handedly ruin the economy

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Slicing will single handedly ruin the economy

Ruan
12.16.2011 , 02:25 PM | #11
It's true and personally verified, ALL mission skills have been made much less of a money sink and slicing in particular is profitable.

I have slicing and treasure hunting and I'm finding that by sending companions only on lockbox missions...

Treasure Hunting mostly breaks even with a small profit or loss on each mission.
Slicing is guaranteed to bring back more credits than the mission cost.

This is great for players because previously it severely gimped you financially to level up a mission skill, sadly I forsee it being nerfed for the sake of the economy / credit sellers.
Social features; cantinas, player housing, guild cities, these are what SWG did right.
PvP specific gear is the best way to kill PvP by segregating your player base.

ibage
12.16.2011 , 03:02 PM | #12
It's not nearly as bad as it was in the earlier builds. I have two level 11s and a level 16. My 16 is at 220 slicing ATM and I'm very comfortable creditwise. Slicing almost nets no real materials for crafting. It itself is a profession to make money. With the game being young, it seems crazy now but down the road, it's going to be completely worthless once the economy establishes itself.

Kaladorm
12.16.2011 , 03:05 PM | #13
Yup yup.

Take slicing to level and make sure you can afford all your speeders/upgrades etc.

Then hit 50 and use that money to respec and get some proper crafting skills. Atm my companion is full time slicing, come 50 I'll want to be farming proper mats or missions.

Nothing wrong with that

Rossx
12.16.2011 , 03:07 PM | #14
Slicing seems OP now, but in a few months when purple mats go for 10k+ each, slicing will seem underpowered.

Look at it this way, the only thing slicing does is make money. The other mission and gathering skills actually goes and gets mats. Eventually those mats will be really valuable, once most people have established 50s and they want those mats to make things for their alts. This happens in every MMO.
//////[=/=]█{██████████████████████████████████
Became SWTOR Beta Tester 8/19/11 . CE 7/21 4:15am

ibage
12.16.2011 , 03:13 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Rossx View Post
Slicing seems OP now, but in a few months when stacks of purple mats goes for 10k credits, slicing will seem underpowered.

Look at it this way, the only thing slicing does is make money. The other mission and gathering skills actually goes and gets mats. Eventually those mats will be really valuable, once most people have established 50s and they want those mats to make things for their alts. This happens in every MMO.
My point exactly.

In every MMO I've played, I've been very wealthy by playing the economy. I ended SWG with 750 million and WoW with 127k. I have an idea how these things work. Slicing isn't a problem yet and it most likely won't be. Especially once things are more stable.

Rossx
12.16.2011 , 03:16 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by ibage View Post
My point exactly.

In every MMO I've played, I've been very wealthy by playing the economy. I ended SWG with 750 million and WoW with 127k. I have an idea how these things work. Slicing isn't a problem yet and it most likely won't be. Especially once things are more stable.
I have been wealthy in every MMO I have played too, just from going out and getting things that are in demand.

Trust me OP, slicing will be a joke in a few months.
//////[=/=]█{██████████████████████████████████
Became SWTOR Beta Tester 8/19/11 . CE 7/21 4:15am

Kardall
12.16.2011 , 04:22 PM | #17
Ok lets say, you're 400 slicing, and you make 1200 credits every 30 minutes.

that's 2400 credits an hour, and if you play for 4 hours... hey you have 9600 credits for about 16 seconds worth of work total.

It is totally outrageous. Everyone that says, "I can make more money farming." Sure, but so is that guy making more AND doing slicing. It's the effort to money income. It's like a pyramid scheme that went right.

No effort in, huge income of credits.

They need to knock it down, or get rid of the lockboxes and make them do things like ... data information that gives you rep or social points or something like that... maybe 10 credits.
SQUADRON 11-11-11 *Never Forget*

TheDarkerPhantom
12.16.2011 , 04:37 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Kardall View Post

that's 2400 credits an hour, and if you play for 4 hours... hey you have 9600 credits for about 16 seconds worth of work total.

It is totally outrageous. Everyone that says, "I can make more money farming." Sure, but so is that guy making more AND doing slicing. It's the effort to money income. It's like a pyramid scheme that went right.

They need to knock it down, or get rid of the lockboxes and make them do things like ... data information that gives you rep or social points or something like that... maybe 10 credits.
You assume 10,000 credits is of any significant amount of credits.

I am going to guess 10,000 credits will buy you pretty much, I have nearly 1,000 credits at level 6, well on my way to that amount before level 20.

Kardall
12.16.2011 , 04:51 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by TheDarkerPhantom View Post
You assume 10,000 credits is of any significant amount of credits.

I am going to guess 10,000 credits will buy you pretty much, I have nearly 1,000 credits at level 6, well on my way to that amount before level 20.
You assume that I assume you didn't read the entire post... which I assume is correct.

I have 20k credits and I'm only 17, plus I've bought lots of stuff... yes you can make money without doing Slicing, I'm not saying that at all.

What I said was, the work to the money you make, will definitely make it so that people will have exorbitant amounts of money to spend on things, and it will inflate prices and what not, and it will end up being SWG all over again as far as prices of items.
SQUADRON 11-11-11 *Never Forget*

Scoobings
12.16.2011 , 04:52 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Kardall View Post

I'm willing to bet that the returns on materials at level 50 will be way more than this. Just saying. Slicing is great right now because the economy is unstable. You can't use the economy now as an indication of where things will be even 3 months from now.