Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Slicing will single handedly ruin the economy

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Slicing will single handedly ruin the economy

Scrump
12.16.2011 , 01:06 PM | #1
I am already at 275 slicing, and I can easily afford the speeder + training 2 times at level 17! Think of how easy it would be for gold farmers, all they have to do is spam lockboxes! I don't have a huge problem with making so much money, but I honestly feel without slicing a person is at an extreme disadvantage. I am the 1%

Majestic_Jazz
12.16.2011 , 01:09 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Scrump View Post
I am already at 275 slicing, and I can easily afford the speeder + training 2 times at level 17! Think of how easy it would be for gold farmers, all they have to do is spam lockboxes! I don't have a huge problem with making so much money, but I honestly feel without slicing a person is at an extreme disadvantage. I am the 1%
How do you make money by slicing?
Want to enjoy a unique Star Wars story experience?

What are you waiting for? A galaxy awaits your arrival...

Scrump
12.16.2011 , 01:11 PM | #3
Run a mission for a lockbox, open the lockbox, profit.

Lockboxes only contain credits.
at 275 slicing i can get upto 4k out of a box with only 1k spent at most.

Satsujinki
12.16.2011 , 01:48 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Scrump View Post
Run a mission for a lockbox, open the lockbox, profit.

Lockboxes only contain credits.
at 275 slicing i can get upto 4k out of a box with only 1k spent at most.
Either you are incredibly lucky, or they have changed slicing since last beta weekend.

Back then when I sent my companions on missions that ranged from costing 200 - 600 they'd most likely return with +/- 50 credits and sometimes they'd even fail. Getting credits is still easy due to the nodes you can find.

I think that the way slicing is right now is on the bordeline to being balanced considering it doesn't give you all that much besides Credits and you'd be forced to give up crafting blues and higher unless you buy it from AH. The problem is that you GAIN money and lots of it while leveling Slicing and all other professions have to SPEND money.

TheRabbit
12.16.2011 , 01:51 PM | #5
In the higher levels of slicing missions you see returns of a few thousand credits. Those missions take your companions 30 minutes to complete. I don't see how that is going to single handedly ruin the economy when I can easily make double that by grinding in circles through heavy enemy areas.

Scrump
12.16.2011 , 01:55 PM | #6
I'm at work on a laptop that can hardly run the game clicking a button every 20 minutes. Think of how automatic this can become if people make bots to do it! It's essentially a craft where all of your crafts sell automatically!

Sarkav
12.16.2011 , 02:06 PM | #7
I agree - gold farmers will bot the heck out of this skill. This skill is much worse than any other skills because it adds credits directly to the economy and will cause massive inflation if it is left as is. Having a completely risk free way to create credits out of thin air will be disastrous.

Yozbick
12.16.2011 , 02:19 PM | #8
I don't know what to think of the economy yet. Yes, Slicing generates lots of cash. And Treasure Hunting yields tons of green items (as well as some blues and purple). But after getting them both to around 200, I respecced to Biochem.

The higher level Slicing quests do get you up to 2000 or so credits. Sometimes they bring in only 700 or even fail and net you nothing. But they cost 1000 credits to launch.

Treasure hunting gets you tons of greens, most of which you cannot use. I was getting a green for a mission that cost me 200 credits and sometimes I couldn't sell it for 250 (which covers the cost of the mission and the cost of putting it on trade). Many I sold at a loss to a vendor.

Don't get me wrong. I have plenty of cash. But there wasn't really anything worth using it on. And the ability to make purple stims, adrenals and medpacks more than offsets what I'm giving up in Treasure Hunting and Slicing.

Scrump
12.16.2011 , 02:24 PM | #9
Actually you can find vendors that sell Blue gear for Credits, thats one thing to spend money on. Just thought of this at work!

Vicelance
12.16.2011 , 02:24 PM | #10
Slicing is giving me some nice credits. I plan to keep it until I get my Armstech and scavenging up to the point I need the mission skill to craft items.

It's giving me an okay amount of credits my companions only fail 1/3 maybe 1/4 of the time and the boxes I find while doing quests more than makes up for that.
||||||()Ξ██████████████████████████████)