Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Your Saga Continues: Story in Game Update 1.2

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Your Saga Continues: Story in Game Update 1.2
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Eillack
03.17.2012 , 09:05 AM | #21
All the previous chapters before 1.2 will still be available right? Assuming BW isn't going to roll the SWG way of limited time missions?
With unity, comes strength...with strength, comes power...with power...comes obedience.....
CE Owner '09 Account
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post
..I think it's ultimately our fault for not communicating enough.

Deewe
03.17.2012 , 09:14 AM | #22
About 1.2 and beyond:

- The game was designed to have iconic classes changing: story, class skills, gear down to gear color palette.
With the gear mods we're able to blend classes appearance. Like my Juggernaut can wear BH or Trooper heavy armor.
Non force users will be able to force choke or use lightning, or force users will be able to use flamer throwers.
=> So: what now makes classes truly iconic? Why blur the frontier?

- Species have their own faction
Sith and Chiss are supposed to be empire only.
=> Why removing this limitation. Wasn't there other species you could have introduced to make the Republic more appealing instead of bending the lore?

- Star Wars is about Wars
2 very opposed faction clashing one against the other. That's the setting.
Many planets are faction restricted.
You're about to introduce same faction vs same faction warzones
=> How could possibly players pretend be at wars with the opposite faction?
=> How would players feel like belonging to a faction?
=> How could players feel at war when there's no such thing as war going on?

- Gear mods
Managing gear mods between our characters, companions and alts is tedious.
=> Why focusing on a system that is not even as good as simple appearance tabs until you, at least, get more convenient UI?

-Legacy
Players keep hammering not everyone likes to share something between all their characters.
Most just like a last name feature, different between all their characters if wanted.
=> Why keeping going against the players? Why forcing them to share a legacy title or surname if they don't want to?

-Mailbox
So you're putting it in the space ship, good.
We're mostly always passing by a mailbox to go to our space ship.
=> Why not allowing players to recall directly to their ship?

And more generally speaking:

- The lore was initially based on SW.
Jedi are, until fallen, guardian of the peace living on a strict code. They are using epic and deadly weapons.
Sith are powerfull and feared people, supposedly not lowering themselves for mundane tasks.

In the Huttball Jedi become no more than glow bat users wrestling for fame. And Sith look a bit better but even.
=> How Jedi players are supposed to feel at epic and at peace after playing a Huttball game? Do you see Yoda playing Huttball, but in a Monty Phyton movie? How Sith players are supposed to feel like Dark Vader or Palpatine?

ThePhenomMantis
03.17.2012 , 11:47 AM | #23
most important 1.2 patch awesome should revitalize interest for the short timers.
the post i was referring to is titled (Ideas I'd like to Share pleases Read!).
for me I think an in game voice to tie us all together is essential.
but i am most appreciative of all your hard work thx..

Sorenia
03.17.2012 , 12:35 PM | #24
If I wanted "group story" stuff I'd play that other MMO. Not to say it's bad but it comes across as bare minimum and leaves little option for interesting Bioware dialog. Companion banter is lost in flashpoints/operations as well.

SWTOR has a big selling feature in rolling multiple classes. The general planet content gets really old though and the leveling process would greatly benefit from companion quests and class "side story" type things.

I hope this patch isn't an indication of things to come. Using minimal story in raids/flashpoints isn't going to separate this game from WoW.

Kaeltahs
03.17.2012 , 12:47 PM | #25
It has become quite apparent that most people currently playing the game agree on the fact that some form of inter-server queue is much needed. Most contemporary gamers are used to the modern group assembling system provided by MMO's such as WoW, Rift, and many others, which one would expect developers of Star Wars: The Old Republic to quickly implement in order to remain competitive while servicing the needs of their players.

"LFG" (looking for group) on channel 1 (general) can be quite frustrating and noneffective due to many factors such as that in servers (example: Jedi Covenant) the chat reach is restricted to whatever location you are currently in, people often chat about off-topic matters that can make communication difficult, dissonance can arise from players looking for HM's (hard modes) and those looking for a group for the regulars, and finally, because people want to focus on advancing the game instead of sitting around for sometimes hours hoping to find people with the same goals.

The current group-finding system is very poor, as one must search through comments (not fully displayed) on the social section in hopes to find someone that wants to embark on the same flashpoint or heroic group quest, and also because just as the general chat, the range is limited to those who are currently playing in the same area (for example: if you are on Taris, you can only chat or view on social the people that are currently on Taris, who are not necessarily the people interested in doing the same flashpoint as you).

Dungeon queue (flashpoint queue in the case of SWTOR) systems are a modern approach to group assembly that greatly service player needs, and effectively allow the gaming population to more rapidly engage their goals, as often most of us that play only count on a limited amount of time per session to enjoy the game. Developers should be considerate of these issues and concerns previously mentioned, as it would greatly improve the slightly outdated system currently in place while meeting the expectations of their subscribers.

Happy St. Patrick's day to all!

Sincerely,

--R.

Nimithril
03.17.2012 , 12:49 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Shadoweb View Post
So... 1981 then? One would figure ESB, which was the first to show a subtitle and episode number in 1980 would be when it became a continuing saga, not when they re-released the first movie for the second time and added in the subtitle and "Episode IV"
Episode IV was always there, A New Hope was added later. Thus, Courtney was correct.

Because, if you read her post again, and turn on your reading comprehension skills, you will see what you quoted had made no mention of a subtitle, just Episode IV.
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthAbominor View Post
And finally, sitting through this video is like watching a 6 year old bash his own head in with a frying pan.. just not as entertaining.
Quote: Originally Posted by nvoid View Post
That's my new facebook status: Shut up the f$$%$% mouth!

Deewe
03.17.2012 , 12:58 PM | #27
Before I forget:

@BioWAre: allow at least one free AC to AC respec in the 1.2 patch.

Don't tell we did not warn you, because the classes changes will make people mad.
It's been always the same in MMO for years. Prepare for the NERF rage.

janne_josefsson
03.17.2012 , 01:13 PM | #28
Loved the BH questline so far.

In other words, i like this, i like it alot.
http://www.myspace.com/ostermalmboys

Music straight from the rock-bottom of society

Varteras
03.17.2012 , 04:58 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Kimyrielle View Post
When I read "YOUR Saga" continues, I was excited because I thought we'd see a continuation of the class quests. But turns out he was mainly talking about Flashpoints and Operations.

So if I don't participate in the PvE endgame, I will miss out most of the continuing story, huh?
The continuing story for this patch is very limited and it's just the new missions/dailies on Corellia that give any significant extension to the main storyline. Two of the next three patches after 1.2 will apparently be adding completely new planets to do missions on. I would say that those are the ones you should get excited about for a continuing story. The new Flashpoint they're adding is just a conclusion to the other Flashpoint we got in 1.1 and if you skip them both you won't really be missing much as far as story goes. From what I gather the Operation is no different. Especially considering that the Operations have been pretty story-lite.
Quote:
Unless you're a stockholder, a Bioware employee, or employee of a rival company... if you're on forums and going out of your way to attack or defend a videogame then I would say you're spending way too much energy doing so and not enough energy trying to figure out what in the world is wrong with you.

Altyrell
03.17.2012 , 06:46 PM | #30
I'm actually more curious as to how BioWare is going to handle adding Chapter 4 - ### for each Class, especially with the different Branches