Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

1.2 = best pvp gear for free, and no reason to play rated. people are quitting

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
1.2 = best pvp gear for free, and no reason to play rated. people are quitting

fendergibson
03.10.2012 , 09:50 AM | #1
Just wanted to inform bioware that tons of the members of several pvp guilds on my server are quitting after the news that rated warzones will be the new valor grind, except any requirements at all. One large pvp guild also disbanded yesterday.

Now I wonder, who's idea was it that "rated" pvp, would not mean squat? All they are doing now is seperating normal warzones from rated warzones, even if they will basically be exactly the same, just that rated will give better free gear.

I will cancel sub and prolly play my month out like 80% of my pvp guild already have, but pvp just gets boring when there is nothing worth "working" for by playing organized.

High warzone rating = no rewards worth mentioning, A LOT more effort.
Low warzone rating = the same rewards as high rating, a lot LESS effort.

Endgame pvp gear worth working for = None.
Chance of getting bored from lack of worthwile "goals" pvp wise: High.

You failed with Ilum, and now you fail with this. Both had good potential.

Clickers and backpeddalers that run around playing rambo in pvp with no tactics in their head should NOT be awarded 100% as much as those who put more effort in it and play organized.
Just like hardmodes gives better rewards than story mode in pve.

Aurrelio
03.16.2012 , 09:08 PM | #2
Because the previous thread has exceeded our threshold for thread length, we've started this new thread for the community to continue discussing the topic.

As always, we ask that the community keep the following things on mind when responding:
  • No insults, name calling, or personal attacks
  • Please stay on topic.
  • Please express your opinion and thoughts in a constructive, respectful manner.
  • If someone violates the Rules of Conduct, please flag it instead of replying to it.
  • Keep in mind that everyone has different viewpoints. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they're trolling. If you believe someone is trolling, please use the Flag function to report their post.

Thank you!

Dego_Locc
03.16.2012 , 09:26 PM | #3
No progression = No players.
CareBearStare>SWTOR
1.2 makes valor rank worthless pretty much. The new War Hero gear is better than BM, and can be worn by fresh 50's

nschlan
03.16.2012 , 09:29 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Dego_Locc View Post
No progression = players.

See? I can make claims without logic backing them up too.

Varicite
03.16.2012 , 09:40 PM | #5
There is progression though, so this point doesn't actually make any sense. It's far more meaningful progression than a set of gear too, which is awesome.

The progression is the players you face in rated Warzones. As you rise on the ladder, your opponents will continue to get stronger and use better tactics and team compositions, and learn to counter your own strategies.

The progression is pitting yourself against your peers and progressing through the rankings on your journey to become the server's best, or at least not one of the server's worst.

The gear itself isn't free, you do actually have to PvP for it. They don't hand you the set as soon as you queue for your first rated Warzone. The better players will have their set fastest, and the weaker players will catch up in time.

It's really no different than the way it is now, except that you're rewarded for time spent in rated WZ's instead of overall PvP. There's just no silly gating mechanic like "I've played X amount of games to become BM" to bar fresh players from getting on equal footing w/ their peers stat-wise. (Edit: This silly gating mechanic actually does still exist, but BM isn't nearly as much of a grind as it was before. At least most people starting rateds will be in BM gear as a standard, it seems.)

Unlike PvE progression, where scripted encounters never change their tactics or gear or specs, PvP progression involves intelligent (sometimes not so much) opponents who adapt to the strategies you are using. You don't need better gear to simulate your character's progression, because the rankings are right there in a tangible form to show you exactly how far you've come.

If the fear is that your character will never become stronger than it is the day that 1.2 drops, I assure you that each season will be coming w/ its updated tier and higher stat budget. Your character will still progress overall as well.
Quote: Originally Posted by JayPres View Post
Strap your digital dog to your digital roof and take your ideologies, lovely wife, and sweet little 8yr old girl to a PVE server where you fit best.

Rogmar
03.16.2012 , 09:48 PM | #6
Seriously?
Picture me Trollin'

Dego_Locc
03.16.2012 , 09:49 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Varicite View Post
There is progression though, so this point doesn't actually make any sense. It's far more meaningful progression than a set of gear too, which is awesome.

Bet you two months after 1.2, EVERYONE has the TOUGHEST color gear to get. Game is easy-mode like that. It will be cumbersome, not a reward.

Ppl will get bored of the one new warzone and will be done.

Vanity rewards simply aren't enough for a lot of players for a paid subscription based game,(console games without sub however are) sorry that is such a shocker...

And all arguments aside, most PVPers, laugh at this games PVP, or lack there of, so who cares in the end?
CareBearStare>SWTOR
1.2 makes valor rank worthless pretty much. The new War Hero gear is better than BM, and can be worn by fresh 50's

nschlan
03.16.2012 , 09:49 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Rogmar View Post
Seriously?
People don't play for fun or rating I guess. God forbid that you play because you enjoy it or want to have a high rank!

Thexremstar
03.16.2012 , 09:51 PM | #9
Ive been playing for just over a month Battle master and cleared EV / KP

I feel the gear in SWToR is very random stats and to easy to get. I love that the game is hardish to play but gearing is way to easy.

So your saying that the Rated War Zones Weve been waiting for are going to be same as now but easy to get again!

gear should be increased stats as we progress thru the game.
like falsh point hard modes i can get Tier1 ?

gear ranks : easy fp>hard fp>8man normal>16 man normal>8man HM>16man HM
: WZ COM>MERC COM>Cent Com>Champ com>BM Token

pre requisite should be that you gear up as you reach certain requirements to get the new lvl.

Just Handing out gear your driveing away Players!

Saddened SW FAN

Robochomp
03.16.2012 , 10:16 PM | #10
This whole topic is dumb, PvP should be skill first gear 2nd. The whole purpose of competitive PvP is when you check my character panel, see my PvP rating is higher than yours and me LOLing at you cause I am better than you, and its justified cause my little number is better than your little number.

Take a good long hard look at WoW's Arena history, it was most popular in Seasons 1 and 2, and why was it at its most popular? Its because everyone had access to the same gear and it was achievable by anyone willing to put the time in, the better player you were the faster you got your gears. Look at their tournament realms and even their e-sport competitions, everyone has access to the same gear. Once they introduced a rating req for gear Arena participation greatly and steadily declined as well as led to terrible gaming practices like win trading, carrying of baddies for gold/rl money etc.......

BW is on the right track, and remember 1.2 launches just a PRE-SEASON, they technically do not need to give out anything for participating and when it comes down to it a good high rated player does not rely on gear for wins a less skilled player does, and with an equal gear footing there is no excuses, skill > everything