Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Loot Rules/Etiquette

ArtMonster
03.17.2012 , 09:55 AM | #21
good for you...your a paladin.

but swtor gives you the choice to click two buttons..... fair and square.

there is NO right or wrong...only what 'others' percieve as you being a cheat for doing what the game does fairly.
(who is anyone to say why or why not you need an item?, it aint thier call, and they dont know you or your character or your intentions.... but they sure do know if they lost that roll....lol)

this so called 'etiquette' is your own perception and moral dilemma...not the games, not any other player...... yours.

the game lets you do what you want.... and it's not wrong...the rolls are completely fair.

......unless someone doesnt win that fair roll.... and decides it's an attack on him personally and looters are ruining his life forever.

and start another thread about it.

Eternalnight
03.17.2012 , 11:26 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Residentx_NA View Post
I wish it was that simple...

I hope to be a member people want to play with.
That is good, but...

Quote:
It takes away from the game when people are overly focused on loot but I have to find a way to deal with this
Now, let's make one thing clear. I'm not overly focused on loot.

I am overly focused on not tolerating people who think it's ok to act like a complete jerk towards other people who they are in group with, just because the game "technically allows it".

If you press need on something that you're obviously not going to even use, even when someone else (not necessarily me) who could have used it needs it, then you're acting like a jerk.

It's not the loosing of the looted item that bothers me. It's the malicious attitude of the of the player who makes the choice to click need that bothers me.

When you're doing group content in an MMO, it is not "just a game", but it is a game in which you're interacting with other players who are real living people.
You can't just "do whatever you want" and still expect those other people to want to have you in their group, just like in real life you can't do just anything and expect other people to want to work together with you, no matter what you do.

Likely you would not be able to ever complete the group content without the help of other people, so how do you thank them? By taking other people into consideration when making your choices or by ninja looting?

Residentx_NA
03.17.2012 , 11:49 AM | #23
Technically, we "could" need everything. Everything has some value in this game, right?

If I can't use it I can trade it and this is where the logic of etiquette fails. If I don't need it I can trade it...which can further my agenda...so should I grab as much as I can and have people complain or let others have everything and I suffer in silence. Only a group of friendlies will be more considerate. In PUGs, you can't expect this.

Thanks for your comments, KurganNazzir

Scorpienne
03.17.2012 , 12:15 PM | #24
You're going to find that there's two main camps.

1. Need everything. Even if you can't use it, your alts, companions, or friends can. Or you can sell it for credits.

2. Need only things that you can use, that are better than what you have right now.

Neither is inherently right or wrong, BUT these two views are pretty incompatible.

SO use chat, BEFORE you group up and agree on how you want to do loot division.

Need-everything guys are going to get screeched at by the other folks, and the other folks may drop out rather than play with you.

Need-for-use guys are going to get screwed out of loot by the other folks, and are going to be furious.

Me personally, I'm a need-for-use person and I will not play with need-everything people. I would rather solo. I'd rather turn off the game and go for a walk. I'll also leave a flashpoint in a New York minute if we agree on need-for-use and a player needs everything. That's not worth my limited play time. Nothing anyone can say is going to change my mind, so don't bother trying. However, that's my opinion and the only person it's right for is me.

You do things your way, I'm not trying to change your mind. You gotta make the decisions that are best for you and no one else can do that. The only thing I beg of you is to pretty please be polite and just let people know ahead of time that you're a need-everything person.

Also, this is a good time to consider whenever you're setting up group play, that you should work loot etiquette out ahead of time. Don't rely on other people to tell you they're need-everything or need-for-use, ask them and communicate appropriately.

Paige

Eternalnight
03.17.2012 , 12:20 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Residentx_NA View Post
Technically, we "could" need everything. Everything has some value in this game, right?
I already acknowledged that "technically you can need everything. It really boils down to the question of what you said earlier

Quote:
I hope to be a member people want to play with.
Which based on your last comment you obviously don't want to be.

and

Quote:
If I can't use it I can trade it
The word "trade" implies player to player trading, which you can't do with a FP boss loot that is bind on pickup.
Of course you can always sell it to a npc vendor.

Quote:
and this is where the logic of etiquette fails. If I don't need it I can trade it...which can further my agenda...so should I grab as much as I can and have people complain or let others have everything and I suffer in silence.
Oh, so many people who think it's ok to act like a complete jerk toward other people and press need on everything. Not pressing need is not the same thing as "letting others have everything", (unless the others are also pressing need on everything in which case you should too).

But really, just a little earlier you said
Quote:
It takes away from the game when people are overly focused on loot
But now you are the one who is so overly focussed on loot that you can't let others have what they "need", but feel it necessary to click need on things you don't really need.

It's not that hard to use it right.
Need is for when you need it.
Greed is for other things like selling it (which is why there is a money symbol on the greed button)

Quote:
Only a group of friendlies will be more considerate. In PUGs, you can't expect this.
Actually I have found out that you can expect this in PUGs. There are always few jerks who feel entitled to do whatever they want, but many people are considerate towards others.

Residentx_NA
03.17.2012 , 12:29 PM | #26
Your comments are valid for guilds not pugs. Pugs won't listen but I'll try it next time I play. I'll probably have boot the offender and it will probably extend my flashpoints even further with my limited time but I'll try it...

Jukez
03.17.2012 , 12:48 PM | #27
This thread makes me cry. Just to be clear to the OP, you should know (and it isn't hard, doesn't take a minute to figure it out) what to need. You cannot possibly think that you can need everything, because "i can trade it". You can't. Many and more of the stuff is bound to you when you pick it up, and all you can do is to sell it to vendors.

The general rule is to only need the stuff that you can wear and is actually an upgrade to you. Everything else is to be brought up and discussed in the party chat so everyone agrees to it. And no, looking at your party chat isn't too hard. You can actually make a separate chat window only for the party chat if you want. So to be clear, need if you NEED and otherwise greed.

ViperI
03.17.2012 , 01:22 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by ArtMonster View Post

there is NO right or wrong...only what 'others' percieve as you being a cheat for doing what the game does fairly.
(who is anyone to say why or why not you need an item?, it aint thier call, and they dont know you or your character or your intentions.... but they sure do know if they lost that roll....lol)

this so called 'etiquette' is your own perception and moral dilemma...not the games, not any other player...... yours.

the game lets you do what you want.... and it's not wrong...the rolls are completely fair.

......unless someone doesnt win that fair roll.... and decides it's an attack on him personally and looters are ruining his life forever.

Funny, cause they're changing it so that you can only roll need on things you can directly use. Source: Guild Summit comments on patch 1.2. So yes, there is etiquette while playing an MMO and dealing with loot. There has always been etiquette in this regard with MMOs dating back to the pre-WoW days (that's right, WoW wasn't the first MMO).
Viper 1
Frozen In Carbonite

Darthshnooky
03.17.2012 , 04:11 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by ArtMonster View Post

OP, please DO NOT listen to this person. This advice is atrocious! If everyone played this way, server communities would be awful.

There is etiquette and there are soft rules for how people play, because MMOs are online communities and that means there need to be rules to keep things flowing smoothly. At the very least use the golden rule -- you wouldn't want someone else taking loot you could really use just to sell it would you? Then don't do it to someone else.

Kaesoron
03.17.2012 , 06:08 PM | #30
This is a most bizare thread, The Need & Greed system is about as simple as it could be!

From what I can gather, you dont have the time to decide whether or not an item is a usable upgrade? So you think you should just NEED on everything?

There is always time in a FP's to make that choice, A lilttle common courtesy isn't much to ask from FP participants is it?

If you run around needing everything your not going to be making any friends.

Quote:
Your comments are valid for guilds not pugs. Pugs won't listen but I'll try it next time I play. I'll probably have boot the offender and it will probably extend my flashpoints even further with my limited time but I'll try it...
I dont even know where to begin with this statement.
Walk Tall and Shake the Heavens
Beware.. I edit my posts a lot :P