Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Loot Rules/Etiquette


dubiousdepth's Avatar


dubiousdepth
03.16.2012 , 08:56 PM | #11
Here's what I got out of this. You afk every loading screen. Roll need just in case. You don't have equipment stat comparison enabled on your interface options. And you're too apathetic to explain your point of view to players you grouped with in chat. I can empathize with not having much time on this game (3 kids and a full time job). I however don't commit to things I can't comfortably get to the end of without feeling rushed and making uninformed decisions.

Yes, this kind of shoot first ask questions later philosophy for loot in groups will get you trolled. Drop kicked from guilds. Named and shamed in general chat on your server. And ultimately find yourself on the ignore list of every viable pick-up group that might ordinarily give you a chance.

Quote: Originally Posted by Residentx_NA View Post
When I'm playing this game during the flashpoints, I don't stop and look at my inventory to see what I need and don't need. I grab it and sort it out at the end of the flashpoint. This interrupts the game play...the reason I'm here.
This is what people call a ninja. Its about 2 steps down on the mmo food chain from a troll. Which, I assume is the reason you're crying on the forums. Ninja's get trolled. It's the one constant in every multi-player game with loot you'll always see. The only way to bypass the inherent guilt of being a ninja is to become a ninja troll. Which unfortunately is the bottom of the mmo food chain.
Southern Cross Roads
Progressive PvE | Premade PvP
Imperial-Master Dar'Nala

Eternalnight's Avatar


Eternalnight
03.16.2012 , 09:23 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Residentx_NA View Post
When I'm playing this game during the flashpoints, I don't stop and look at my inventory to see what I need and don't need. I need xp not crap!! If I stop and take too long someone else will take it...this is just how it is...I grab it and sort it out at the end of the flashpoint. This interrupts the game play...the reason I'm here. I really wish they would just autoloot like COH and be done with this....
That is just stupid.

Credits will be divided evenly by everyone in the group, so it really makes no difference who loots and when.

Gear will be always open up a need or greed roll window for everyone
It really does not take more than a fraction of a second to see the tooltip and know if you need it or not.
And there is no hurry in pressing need or greed the loot roll timer is pretty long and it will not make any difference if you're first or last to press need or greed.

People like you who press need on everything (even items that are useless to you thus often preventing others who could have used it from getting it) are the worst thing in MMO games.

I can't even say what I really think about people who press need on items they aren't going to use, as the forum rules here would not allow such language.

KurganNazzir's Avatar


KurganNazzir
03.16.2012 , 09:25 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Residentx_NA View Post
I don't stop and look at my inventory to see what I need and don't need.
There is no reason for this. When an item pops up for roll, you just hover over it and quickly compare it to what you have equipped. It really shouldn't take that long, though I understand that not everyone reads at the same speed.

Quote: Originally Posted by Residentx_NA View Post
These comments are interesting. Do other players really stop and talk during the game about loot? I find the chat tool clumsy. Using it interferes with my ability to play.
Group loot rules are something that are supposed to be discussed before you start, not something you stop and do during the content unless something needs to be reiterated for some reason. But yes, sometimes you do stop and discuss things if/when it's needed (like when the leader gives instructions for which mobs to kill/CC in what order); and it's this way in every MMO.

I know from personal experience in this game that some folks just group up to get it over with (or get what they want and you be damned) and they have no desire to ever communicate with those in their group, and I find that wrong but that's the way it is sometimes. If no one communicates the rules with you ahead of time, just assume it's the generally accepted rule of roll if you need it for yourself and greed if you don't.

One other thing to think about is you all have to heal up after a fight so that's the time everyone should be comparing loot.
Dark Eclipse
GAF

ChairForceOne's Avatar


ChairForceOne
03.17.2012 , 01:28 AM | #14
Generally speaking for armor and weapons

Need before greed means just that.

Need - This item is an upgrade for my MAIN SPEC comparing to what i currently am using.

Greed for everything else.


For vanity things (not sure how many are in the game) everyone would select need.

If you would like an item very much for whatever reason, but it's not an upgrade, generally you'd want to consult with the group before selecting need. Just aks them anf 9 times out of 10 unless someone else needs it too they'll agree to let you have it.


For master looter it's obviously up the the discretion of the loot master, but usually loot masters will operate under 1 of 3 main loot streams.

1. Need Before greed. Essentially the same as above. But this ensures that anyone rolling actually does "need" the item. If the person rolling doesnt actually need it, the master looter can veto it and direct the loot accordingly, this is the most common master loot in low-mid level skill game play

2. For high end game play. like nightmare guild runs and such, Master loot will often be handled by loot council. Usually high ranking guild members will decide where the item will ebenefit the group as a whole the most. They use several factors such as Attendance, Performance, and largest upgrade as the main factors.

3. Round Robin. In this scenario lets say there is a group of 4 people and 1 person wins an item. The master looter would not loot anythng else to that person until the other 3 have won something. this is a "share the wealth" system that ensures that one person doesnt just get lucky and walk out with all the upgrades leaving the other empty handed and disastisfied.


All these loot systems have their benefits, flaws, and controversies. There is no perfect loot system. so its up to you to decide what you consider the best.

Just keep in mind that there is a unwritten law of using greed on items that aren't an upgrade to you main spec.

Residentx_NA's Avatar


Residentx_NA
03.17.2012 , 09:11 AM | #15
I appreciate all of your comments.

Despite what many of you feel, I posted on the boards to get "clarity" about a situation because I don't play enough to know firsthand. Like I said in the very beginning, I've done 2 flashpoints since the game launch. My game was a pickup not a guild this week.

Finally, this game is great but you must have a lot of time to play. The Esseles took almost 2 hours to play and this was just too much time for weekend warrior like myself
(I love high quality content but when I started this I didn't realize this flashpoint was so long). That created pressure to get to the end and the decisions about looting.

About my computer I have an HP8760w with a 4GB Quadro video card and a Verizon FTTH line(home) with the max bandwidth of 150MBPS. I'm learning though that I can't play this game on the road because it requires so much bandwidth and that's where the "twinkles" come in. Lack of bandwidth affects this game greatly. I encourage the devs to play the game in low bandwith situations to see what users experience.

Finally, the comments by chairforceone was very informative. I probably will not join a guild now because I can't imagine what might be programmed "behind the scenes" by the Guild masters. Where do I find out more about this?

I will try to put some rough pickup looting rules together in the future to head this problem off in the future but I doubt many will follow it during the actual play. But I'll try it...

ArtMonster's Avatar


ArtMonster
03.17.2012 , 09:20 AM | #16
do whatever you want to.

there are buttons...click one of 'em and move one....who cares?

loot isnt really a big deal in this game anyway.....so easy to get in many many ways.

not a big issue.

Veniras's Avatar


Veniras
03.17.2012 , 09:32 AM | #17
Actually it boils down to that you might not have the time for certain/most FP's. FP's can take time and you ned to evaluate the loot before rolling.

Residentx_NA's Avatar


Residentx_NA
03.17.2012 , 09:34 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by ArtMonster View Post
do whatever you want to.

there are buttons...click one of 'em and move one....who cares?

loot isnt really a big deal in this game anyway.....so easy to get in many many ways.

not a big issue.
I wish it was that simple...

I hope to be a member people want to play with. I posted to get insight into the "unspoken" rules of the game. I view the loot similar to you but many don't view it that way. I will apply some of the comments I've rec'ved above from everyone. It takes away from the game when people are overly focused on loot but I have to find a way to deal with this because I'm not part of guild and I play most PUG(Pickup Groups).

ArtMonster's Avatar


ArtMonster
03.17.2012 , 09:40 AM | #19
there is no 'etiquette'.
it's just the rules imposed upon by someone who is bent about something someone else did.

if you roll need the other guys wont yell 'etiquette violation !!" if he wins will he?...only if he loses the roll will the drama start.

.

Veniras's Avatar


Veniras
03.17.2012 , 09:50 AM | #20
Of course there's etiquette. The most accepted rule is

Need = for thing you (and only you, not your companions) can use in a better version
Greed = for companions or money
Pass = for being generous or just filled up.

Personally I will drop or drop out of groups where people deliberately and persistantly violate these rules against better knowledge (IE having had them explained)

Edit: Haven't actually met such a person yet, fortunately