Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Gunslinger Advanced Class guide

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Gunslinger / Sniper
Gunslinger Advanced Class guide

Lightning_'s Avatar


Lightning_
03.31.2012 , 12:19 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Riiquiem View Post
Tried SS and I WILL NEVER PLAY THIS *** AGAIN! Sab is fun tho 7 / 31 / 3 and I couldn't notice a difference actually. Even with full sab i hit always 300k - 400k.

DF still remains my favorite tho.
Read all your posts in this topic, very valuable information!

I have a question, how do you compare full DF with DF/Sab (for example, 2/18/21)? To me it looks like DF/Sab obviously lacks somewhat in DoT damage, but provides some help with energy management, and better AoE (not that important in PvP but still nice).
Also, is there a reason to take Sab Utility Belt when Thermal Grenade costs so much energy?

jsalemi's Avatar


jsalemi
04.01.2012 , 09:55 AM | #32
I tried the DF/Sab for a while, and it's a jack-of-all-trades, master of none build. Ok, but not great in pvp, but really not enough damage for dailies and ops/raids. I saw my damage go up significantly when I went back to a pure sab build. And I've actually found I run out of energy less often with the sab build than I did with the DF/sab build.
"No. No way. I'm not being bait. Not this time."

Riiquiem's Avatar


Riiquiem
04.01.2012 , 04:47 PM | #33
First of all I have to make clear that everything I am posting is about PVP ONLY.
PVE is hella boring and I can't and won't provide any assistance regarding pve.

@ Lightning_:

I don't know what's wrong with me but whatever spec I choose I get same results.
SAB/DF leads to the same overall dmg,a little better energy management and aoe but lacks viabilty in 1on1 situations.
The spec you posted is exactly the one I've been using. Loved it and will change to it again just for testing purpose.
It's hard to actually measure DOT dmg since you can't exactly count each hit due to healing the target receives while it's still ticking or shilds they activate or whatever.

Still I don't experience energy problems in DF either now that I hit 41% tech crit.

Today I had a match vs 2 merc healers and was raging like never before.
This match showed me the weakness of DF.... this fuc**n op cleanse with almost no CD -.-*

These 2 mercs cleansed like everything I threw at their team... also impossible to 1on1 them.
So keeping that in mind a hybrid spec with higher burst may be even more viable than pure DF although I don't want to give up DF because the incoming changes in 1.2 look promising.

I also changed my mind about thermal grenade. When used in the right situation you hit 5 people with 1,5k crit = 7500 dmg... for 20 energy... any more questions?

@jsalemi:

eeh.... of course you don't run out of energy in pure sab, that's what this spec is all about.
constant aoe all over the place.
AND df/sab is not ok for pvp. IT'S FREAKING AWESOME. I see many obviously newbie slingers whining about the viabilty of their specs. But that's just because they don't know how to handle it.

TL : DR

It doesn't matter what spec I used - I always got same results... same dmg, same amount of frags, superior 1on1... Maybe I reached a little higher over all dmg with DF but that's just beacuse I am more used to it I think.
Child of Murakami Orchid - now The Jedi Tower:
The Belegendary Legacy

Aerilon - 50 Gunslinger :: Riqui - 50 Shadow :: Riiquiem - 50 Sage
Jeendra - 48 Sentinel :: C'assus - 24 Commando

jsalemi's Avatar


jsalemi
04.02.2012 , 06:24 AM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Riiquiem View Post

@jsalemi:

eeh.... of course you don't run out of energy in pure sab, that's what this spec is all about.
constant aoe all over the place.
AND df/sab is not ok for pvp. IT'S FREAKING AWESOME. I see many obviously newbie slingers whining about the viabilty of their specs. But that's just because they don't know how to handle it.

TL : DR

It doesn't matter what spec I used - I always got same results... same dmg, same amount of frags, superior 1on1... Maybe I reached a little higher over all dmg with DF but that's just beacuse I am more used to it I think.
Well, I'm not a newbie slinger, and I've tried many different specs in pvp, and df/sab just didn't work for me. It's really a case of what one feels more comfortable with, I guess, which is the point of specs -- what works well for one person may not be good in the hands of another. I get much better results with a pure sab build, which is why I said that it was what worked for me. As always, YMMV -- anyone wanting to pvp as a slinger should try various specs and see what works best for them.
"No. No way. I'm not being bait. Not this time."

Riiquiem's Avatar


Riiquiem
04.02.2012 , 07:20 AM | #35
Ofc it is important to test things.... but still you must not forget that some specs have weaknesses which the player can not compensatea, absolutely irrelevant how good he / she is.

So in the end you can actually reach better results when forcing yourself to use a spec that has in theory less weaknesses.
Always keep in mind - you might be good with the one you are using but it certainly could be better.
Child of Murakami Orchid - now The Jedi Tower:
The Belegendary Legacy

Aerilon - 50 Gunslinger :: Riqui - 50 Shadow :: Riiquiem - 50 Sage
Jeendra - 48 Sentinel :: C'assus - 24 Commando

GalnarDegana's Avatar


GalnarDegana
04.02.2012 , 11:17 AM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by Riiquiem View Post
Ofc it is important to test things.... but still you must not forget that some specs have weaknesses which the player can not compensatea, absolutely irrelevant how good he / she is.

So in the end you can actually reach better results when forcing yourself to use a spec that has in theory less weaknesses.
Always keep in mind - you might be good with the one you are using but it certainly could be better.
Mostly, yes I agree. As usual Riiquiem, some really good responses. You are certainly the resident expert on DF, as I use it some but not primarily.

Also, you might be interested to know that there was something added to the 1.2 patch notes on the PTS. Bleeds from DF will now have a chance (not sure how much) to reapply their effects at a lower strength when they are cleansed/expended.

Also to jsalemi:
I'm a big fan of the pure Sab spec, with some in the Sharpshooter tree to get Ballistic Dampers, as that is where I get a lot of survivability. As Riiquiem said, there are advantages and disadvantages to all of the specs, and you want to maximize the benefits.

However, I disagree that you must learn to use the "best" one, or at least I disagree that there IS a best one. Granted, the pure damage available from DF is probably the best for the 3 trees, but for me Sab is preferred, because I do a decently large amount of damage (enough to get the job done) and I can survive much longer than in any other spec. I can hold a turret by myself for a long time, I can stand in the middle of the Huttball arena and hold it to keep grabbing the ball for an almost indefinite period of time, and I can keep a door busy in Voidstar for long enough for my friends to respawn. I play a very defensive style, and I like that. My numbers aren't in the 400k range usually, but I almost never lose (or at least by a lot).

Basically, what your playstyle is will mostly determine your spec. If I had to sum up the three basic options, IMHO they would be:
Damage: Dirty Fighting
Survival: Saboteur
PvE: Sharpshooter

Riiquiem's Avatar


Riiquiem
04.02.2012 , 12:35 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by GalnarDegana View Post
Also, you might be interested to know that there was something added to the 1.2 patch notes on the PTS. Bleeds from DF will now have a chance (not sure how much) to reapply their effects at a lower strength when they are cleansed/expended.
[...]

However, I disagree that you must learn to use the "best" one, or at least I disagree that there IS a best one.
That DOT reapply thingy is a 2 point skill with 50% and 100% chance for 15% of the original dmg.

I expected that kind of reaction... if there were "the best" spec we wouldn't even need that whole thread here. I already felt like my postings seem to sound a bit harsh but that's not my intention. Would be easier for me if I could write it down in my native language :P

However what I was talking about is effectiveness in pvp. As long as it crushes my opponents I don't care much about the fun.

Game I had today
This happens with 2/18/21 and too many healers...

Not sure if I will stay like that or switch back to pure DF.
I'm feeling useless tho.. I see more and more pretty clever inquisitors and mercs cleansing my stuff... there is something missing in DF to deal with that.
In my opinion cleanse is far too powerful.... almost no cd, and 2 DOTs? meh :/

Still waiting for 1.2 before posting some useful stuff again....
Child of Murakami Orchid - now The Jedi Tower:
The Belegendary Legacy

Aerilon - 50 Gunslinger :: Riqui - 50 Shadow :: Riiquiem - 50 Sage
Jeendra - 48 Sentinel :: C'assus - 24 Commando

GalnarDegana's Avatar


GalnarDegana
04.02.2012 , 08:02 PM | #38
WOW! 700k+ damage! I have never seen any class get that high. You, my friend, deserve a standing ovation, /clap.

I think you come across very matter-of-fact, but not harsh. You're fine!

I hope I don't come off arrogant, and just in the spirit of good discussion, because that is what I am looking for.

And at least if the DoTs are cleansed, they leave behind something to use Wounding Shots on. Something in the right direction at least.

jsalemi's Avatar


jsalemi
04.03.2012 , 06:04 AM | #39
Yea, I've never seen 700k damage either. My best ever was about 400k, and typical is around 250-300k (the Republic on my server is usually severely overmatched in pvp).
"No. No way. I'm not being bait. Not this time."

Riiquiem's Avatar


Riiquiem
04.03.2012 , 07:35 AM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by GalnarDegana View Post
WOW! 700k+ damage! I have never seen any class get that high. You, my friend, deserve a standing ovation, /clap.
..no need for sarcasm, just wanted to point out that Slinger is able to keep up with other classes regarding damage numbers.

However in following games I reached 600+ again and again. Seems like df/sab definitely provides higher overall dmg than DF tho I can't see a difference in single target dmg.
Guess I should mention that I'm actually done with equipping myself. Got everything BM now except for head and gloves which are still champion with modified crit/surge parts.
Now every single item has surge/crit on it.
Child of Murakami Orchid - now The Jedi Tower:
The Belegendary Legacy

Aerilon - 50 Gunslinger :: Riqui - 50 Shadow :: Riiquiem - 50 Sage
Jeendra - 48 Sentinel :: C'assus - 24 Commando