Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Gunslinger Advanced Class guide

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Gunslinger / Sniper
Gunslinger Advanced Class guide

Taovhal
05.31.2012 , 03:30 PM | #111
Been reading pretty heavily on this since I've been getting into my gunslinger a bit (currently 28) so obviously I cant quite test builds yet.

First off, I love hybrid builds, unique and kind of have the "underdog" feeling.

With that said, was wondering how versatile the Sab/DF hybrid is in PvE? Anyone been able to test that? Or is pure sab just better off PvE wise.

Riiquiem
06.02.2012 , 10:36 AM | #112
Quote: Originally Posted by Taovhal View Post
Been reading pretty heavily on this since I've been getting into my gunslinger a bit (currently 28) so obviously I cant quite test builds yet.

First off, I love hybrid builds, unique and kind of have the "underdog" feeling.

With that said, was wondering how versatile the Sab/DF hybrid is in PvE? Anyone been able to test that? Or is pure sab just better off PvE wise.
I never tested it myself but from my experience I imagine that pure sab turns out better than the hybrid specs.
Simple reason is the energy management.
Child of Murakami Orchid - now The Jedi Tower:
The Belegendary Legacy

Aerilon - 50 Gunslinger :: Riqui - 50 Shadow :: Riiquiem - 50 Sage
Jeendra - 48 Sentinel :: C'assus - 24 Commando

Taovhal
06.03.2012 , 04:06 PM | #113
Quote: Originally Posted by Riiquiem View Post
I never tested it myself but from my experience I imagine that pure sab turns out better than the hybrid specs.
Simple reason is the energy management.
That's what I thought but I figured I should get some professional advice lol

Thanks for the info tho

Kiisu
06.11.2012 , 05:33 PM | #114
Quote: Originally Posted by Taovhal View Post

Very viable actually, and energy management is good if you get both insurrection and fighting spirit (smth like 2/16/23). DPS-wise its pretty much equal to pure DF, gaining some aoe (thermal grenade) and losing dps from dots (which is somewhat redeemed by shock charge).

GalnarDegana
06.12.2012 , 09:29 PM | #115
I honestly try to build hybrid builds, but i cannot bring myself to not take the serious DoT buffs in T6 and T7 of the DF tree, and I can' help but take Sabotage and Incendiary Grenade in Sab. I guess I just like the 31 point skills in both Sab and DF too much to hybridize it lol.
Gunslinger Guide | Complete Valor Points List | Official Gunslinger Representative Questions Page
Harbinger: Geldarion ('Slinger), Shadowlands: Geldaria (Sniper)
Owner of The Fanatical Swordsman, cohost for Casual Core Radio, PvP Writer and former cohost for Corellian Run Radio

Taovhal
06.14.2012 , 04:37 AM | #116
EDIT: Duplicate post, stupid a** phone lol

Taovhal
06.14.2012 , 05:17 AM | #117
Thanks for all the info on everything. I've decided to go with the hybrid build. Currently level 32 and am doing quite well in both PvE and my occasional PvP.

I'd definitely say that pure Sab has better energy management than hybrid, but hybrid is still definitely workable. But I think its almost a given that you'll see better energy management in pure Sab and possibly better DPS in pure DF. (logically thinking at a basic glance of things.) Personally tho, I think better energy management yields better and more sustainable DPS in the long run.

Also, is the PvP gear set at level 40 worth it compared to buyable grear at that level?

And what skill rotation am I looking at for a hybrid build? Am not sure if I came across one in this thread or not

Thanks everyone who is helping btw!

GalnarDegana
06.19.2012 , 10:40 AM | #118
Updated the link list with a post on my blog about rotations. Just some thoughts really, but feel free to comment on them here!
Gunslinger Guide | Complete Valor Points List | Official Gunslinger Representative Questions Page
Owner of The Fanatical Swordsman, cohost for Casual Core Radio, PvP Writer and former cohost for Corellian Run Radio

Riiquiem
06.20.2012 , 03:52 AM | #119
Quote: Originally Posted by GalnarDegana View Post
Updated the link list with a post on my blog about rotations. Just some thoughts really, but feel free to comment on them here!
hm regarding the DF rotation I'd change something.
Start with vital shot, followed by hemo blast and then use shrap.

Reason is that vital shot does not tick immediately and uses hemo blast directly after it's been applied.
In addition you have to keep in mind that shrap bomb immediately ticks.
So this way you make sure you use hemo blast stacks completely without losing some.

I already posted something about this a few posts earlier.

Also regarding sabotage you shouldn't start with flourish and add sab charge after that,
you'll lose time on flourish shot, maybe it's more efficient to start with both DOTs to use their full potential.
Dude, Quickshot? really?
Child of Murakami Orchid - now The Jedi Tower:
The Belegendary Legacy

Aerilon - 50 Gunslinger :: Riqui - 50 Shadow :: Riiquiem - 50 Sage
Jeendra - 48 Sentinel :: C'assus - 24 Commando

GalnarDegana
06.20.2012 , 07:02 AM | #120
Quote: Originally Posted by Riiquiem View Post
hm regarding the DF rotation I'd change something.
Start with vital shot, followed by hemo blast and then use shrap.

Reason is that vital shot does not tick immediately and uses hemo blast directly after it's been applied.
In addition you have to keep in mind that shrap bomb immediately ticks.
So this way you make sure you use hemo blast stacks completely without losing some.

I already posted something about this a few posts earlier.

Also regarding sabotage you shouldn't start with flourish and add sab charge after that,
you'll lose time on flourish shot, maybe it's more efficient to start with both DOTs to use their full potential.
Dude, Quickshot? really?
Yeah the DF rotation I put up was because I like having Shrap Bomb come off cooldown more quickly. I find that Hemo uses all the stacks quite easily, since it is consumed by both DoTs. I may be wrong about this, though. I will check.

I did however change Sabotage Charge and Flourish Shot's order in my other rotations, because that makes sense.

Quickshot is a great PvE and PvP skill, based on the facts that it is instant-cast, it has a low energy cost (especially in PvE with the Field Tech set bonus), and it has a high critical payout in Sharpshooter and in general. I have recently been hitting the 5k crit medal with this sucker. When it comes to DPS, this guy is pretty powerful.

On a side note, glad to see you are back, Riiquiem!