Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Enrage Timers Counter Productive?


Lazzer's Avatar


Lazzer
03.16.2012 , 11:52 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Muskaan View Post
You don't have any experience in team games. It's like playing soccer and doing only long driven solo runs instead of passing the ball around. Not everyone is a Messi.

In team sports, the fun element comes from a victory achieved as a collective event. If that means sacrificing personal preferences for what the coach/manager needs, then so be it. As long as the team wins, your contribution is worth its weight in gold.

Stick to solo sports if you want fancy individualization.
But that is not what happens in raids, the way it works now is that you can take a Sunday league team give them the right kit and they will win. If you take a Premiership team and send them out with a bad kit (in game analogy) they will be beaten by the Sunday league team.

Lazzer's Avatar


Lazzer
03.16.2012 , 11:55 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by harpuax View Post
So you are saying a monkey can get the right gear, spec and rotation but you cannot?
No I'm saying the content requires the skill level of a monkey to clear it.

harpuax's Avatar


harpuax
03.16.2012 , 11:55 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Lazzer View Post
But that is not what happens in raids, the way it works now is that you can take a Sunday league team give them the right kit and they will win. If you take a Premiership team and send them out with a bad kit (in game analogy) they will be beaten by the Sunday league team.
Not true at all. I recently saw a well geared (90% culumi on everyone) raid fail at a normal op and not meet enrage timers, because they were bad at their classes. Gear did not save them.

harpuax's Avatar


harpuax
03.16.2012 , 11:56 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Lazzer View Post
No I'm saying the content requires the skill level of a monkey to clear it.
So what's the problem?

Flxm's Avatar


Flxm
03.16.2012 , 12:00 PM | #25
They serve a legit purpose I wish they had more of a visual queue rather than an invisible number that you cannot see until the wipe or someone with a stop watch calls out.

Mechanics of the encounter should create a sense of urgency not the rage clock.

If a boss is meant to be a gear/spec check that is cool but have the laser slowly creeping up the table to James Bond's nether regions or a fuse that will blow the cave down.... or something else that people much more creative than me can figure out.

Orici's Avatar


Orici
03.16.2012 , 12:01 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Neollama View Post
why bring any dps at all then? just bring tanks and healers you can never lose.
Because during the fight certain adds spawn that need to be dps's down quickly or we wipe... because with those raids, because there is little room for error you dont want to spend 4 hours tapping the boss down. The longer the fight goes, the better chance there is for 1 person out of 12 to miss a platform... or run to the wrong spot... or get away from the group when he has the "green eye of death".
If your soldiers fear you, they'll fight for you. If they love you, they'll die for you.
¶█╬╬╬╬╬╬°¯°█|{▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓)

finkelmana's Avatar


finkelmana
03.16.2012 , 12:01 PM | #27
Enrage timers have nothing to do with gear, ability, dps, or whatever.

The only reason for enrage timers is that you dont go into an encounter with 1 tank and a frak load of healers and never die. Thats it.

Dirtybomb's Avatar


Dirtybomb
03.16.2012 , 12:01 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Kendaric View Post
I disagree, you should be using a spec you enjoy to play. Even if that spec is somewhat suboptimal, it should still be possible to do any non-raid content (for hardmode and nightmare OPS I can see your point, but those aren't meant for more casual playstyles anyway).
But the thread is about enrage timers in Ops. Sure, anyone should be able to play however they want, as long as they are realistic about the limitations of their play style/choices. Problem is that there are a lot of people that want to be able to faceroll content with whatever spec/gear they choose. Enrage timers prevent that.

Quote: Originally Posted by Kendaric View Post
To answer the OP... I see them as counter-productive, at least if every boss in hardmode flashpoints has them. The people in need of the gear from those flashpoints will be the ones most likely to hit the enrage timer, which can be discouraging. If they're going to stick with enrage timers on all bosses in hm flashpoints, they should at least be slightly more lenient.
There is no problem with clearing the content with the existing enrage timers as long as you put in a little time. Having a problem beating the enrage timers in HM? Then the problem is either your strat or your gear. If you are undergeared, then you haven't spent enough time in normal modes gearing up. If you have all the gear from normal mode, but are still running into the enrage timers in HM, then your group is doing something wrong and you need to rethink your strat and/or playstyle. Keep in mind that hitting the enrage timer with 5% left on the boss is still doable.

I would rather see nifty mechanics instead of engrage timers on every boss, but it isn't stopping anyone from clearing the content if they have prepared properly.

Dayln's Avatar


Dayln
03.16.2012 , 12:01 PM | #29
If you need them personally then hire a better MMO player to stand behind you and make suggestions for you. Don’t dumb down the game for the rest of us because you are having difficulty

But if you do get them, and do use them, please remember that none of us are willing to listen to a single thing that someone says that uses a chess program to play chess because they are unable to do it for themselves.

Using a chess program does not make you a chess master, it makes you someone that likely knows just about nothing about the game.

Same with DPS meters and threat meters and other such add ons.
I have a bad feeling about this

Lazzer's Avatar


Lazzer
03.16.2012 , 12:03 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by harpuax View Post
So what's the problem?
It's too easy, and gear reliant instead of skill reliant. You're assuming I've joined the thread to complain "I can't do it!" but I haven't. My complaint is that every boss is essentially a DPS race and not really a challenge, it takes a bit of organisation and you have no problem at all.

My problem is that the Operations don't require tactics and awareness, they require the ability to follow a rotation and have a good gear set.