Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Enrage Timers Counter Productive?

Muskaan
03.16.2012 , 11:41 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Dayln View Post
All meters, threat meters, dps meters, etc take away from the game, like putting training wheels on your motorcycle. If you need an easier game, go play one, don’t dumb this one down.
No- they are like speedometer.

"Sorry officer, I had no idea I was speeding. You see I don't have a speedometer on my motorcycle; so can't tell when I am above the speed limit"

Meters just report what you are doing. They don't tell you what to do.
50 Sorc Healer/DPS
- We Brake For Nobody - (RIP)
Empire US-West PvE soon-to-be defunct raiding guild
(5/5 Eternity Vault HM, 5/5 Karagga's Palace HM)

Drgkain
03.16.2012 , 11:42 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by harpuax View Post
Why would anyone want to be subpar? Either you know how to play your class or you don't. Choosing a bad spec makes you a bad player. And that is your choice and you are welcome to do so, but the content should not be gauged for bad players IMO. What challenge would be left for the good players?
Enjoyment. What if I like they way my Lightning Sorc works more then using the DOTs of a Madness spec.

The game should be played because it is a game and you should get enjoyment out of it. You should not have to be a lemming to push content.

Kendaric
03.16.2012 , 11:43 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Miallen View Post
No, they are not counter productive.

If you cannot produce a group capable of beating the boss prior to the enrage timer, then you need to do some gearing via HM FP or make some team adjustments. Anyone can walk in and spend 2 hours on a boss and eventually kill it. This is to challenge you to do so in a timely manner.
The problem here is that bosses in hm flashpoints have these timers as well and some of them are pretty hard to beat for a relatively fresh level 50. Gearing up that way isn't as easy as some people try to make it, especially not as many boss fights are highly unfavorable for melee DPS classes.

Why would anyone want to be subpar? Either you know how to play your class or you don't. Choosing a bad spec makes you a bad player. And that is your choice and you are welcome to do so, but the content should not be gauged for bad players IMO. What challenge would be left for the good players?
What's the point in allowing different specs then? People should be able to play how they want, not be forced into cookie-cutter specs for non-raid content.
(█⌉▀|▀|▀|▀[o]█]|▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

Orici
03.16.2012 , 11:45 AM | #14
LotRO raids didnt have enrage timers for Tier 2 (HM's), yet they are still challenging. Take a look at there Lt fight, or the Blind One fight. They require presice coordination and a higher level of skill to complete, without being a DPS race.
If your soldiers fear you, they'll fight for you. If they love you, they'll die for you.
¶█╬╬╬╬╬╬°¯°█|{▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓)

harpuax
03.16.2012 , 11:45 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Drgkain View Post
Enjoyment. What if I like they way my Lightning Sorc works more then using the DOTs of a Madness spec.

The game should be played because it is a game and you should get enjoyment out of it. You should not have to be a lemming to push content.
That is an issue of class balance. Lightning should be as viable as madness, if not then this is the issue, not enrage timers.

Muskaan
03.16.2012 , 11:47 AM | #16

You don't have any experience in team games. It's like playing soccer and doing only long driven solo runs instead of passing the ball around. Not everyone is a Messi.

In team sports, the fun element comes from a victory achieved as a collective event. If that means sacrificing personal preferences for what the coach/manager needs, then so be it. As long as the team wins, your contribution is worth its weight in gold.

Stick to solo sports if you want fancy individualization.
50 Sorc Healer/DPS
- We Brake For Nobody - (RIP)
Empire US-West PvE soon-to-be defunct raiding guild
(5/5 Eternity Vault HM, 5/5 Karagga's Palace HM)

Lazzer
03.16.2012 , 11:49 AM | #17
It's not about good and bad players it's about an absolute wall that simply determines gear and nothing else.

I could be the best player in the world but if I am wearing greens I will never hit the DPS needed.

The counter point is that I could be a terrible player, but spend time grinding gear (which is very easy), following a rotation and spec that I looked up on a webpage (without understanding why) I will clear the content.

Like I said it has nothing to do with good and bad all it has to do with is the right classes in the Op, the correct gear, the correct spec and the correct rotation and a monkey could do it.

Neollama
03.16.2012 , 11:49 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Orici View Post
LotRO raids didnt have enrage timers for Tier 2 (HM's), yet they are still challenging. Take a look at there Lt fight, or the Blind One fight. They require presice coordination and a higher level of skill to complete, without being a DPS race.

why bring any dps at all then? just bring tanks and healers you can never lose.

harpuax
03.16.2012 , 11:51 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Lazzer View Post
It's not about good and bad players it's about an absolute wall that simply determines gear and nothing else.

I could be the best player in the world but if I am wearing greens I will never hit the DPS needed.

The counter point is that I could be a terrible player, but spend time grinding gear (which is very easy), following a rotation and spec that I looked up on a webpage (without understanding why) I will clear the content.

Like I said it has nothing to do with good and bad all it has to do with is the right classes in the Op, the correct gear, the correct spec and the correct rotation and a monkey could do it.
So you are saying a monkey can get the right gear, spec and rotation but you cannot?

JustTed
03.16.2012 , 11:52 AM | #20
My Ops group has completed Hard Mode Eternity Vault a few times and We are starting on Hard Mode Karagga. We are not having issues with enraged times, it is just something occurred to me. We tend to have some people who Min Max that end up picking up slack for the one or two people who don't, it seems to end up putting more stress on the Min Maxer. We could tell the people who would rather enjoy to the game to switch specs and exactly what gear they are allowed to wear but it seems to me that would scare them off, and we like them as people, and they are our friends. Why would we force them to do something they don't want?
Put it to them this way: How much fun is wiping?