Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Enrage Timers Counter Productive?


Drgkain's Avatar


Drgkain
03.16.2012 , 11:05 AM | #1
I want to start a discussion on what people thing of Enrage timers.

Are they Counter Productive? Meaning, do they force people to Min / Max their character, switch to a spec they wouldn't normally do just to make sure they have enough damage to kill some boss?

I personally think they take enjoyment out of the game when every single boss mod has one. I can understand one or two having one but not everything being in existence gets stronger the longer a fight is. Being forced to change specs to get that extra bit of DPS, or Damage Mitigation or to be able to heal 5% better is well, stupid.

Opinions?

DigitalPrime's Avatar


DigitalPrime
03.16.2012 , 11:11 AM | #2
Enrage timers are there to push people forward. But also to lock that content down to the gear needed. Too many people go in these instances or operations with low end gear, expecting to clear the content. they hit the enraged timer. then come on here and moan disregarding their rotation or gear needs some work.

What I dont like is no difference in mechnics between the difficulty modes. Adding an enraged timer is not enough

Nmaharg's Avatar


Nmaharg
03.16.2012 , 11:16 AM | #3
You should be using the best possible spec anyway. All enrage timers do is make sure that the raiders are somewhat geared.
7X Valor --- 1000+ Expertise

"Etang" on Juyo and The Fatman

Kendaric's Avatar


Kendaric
03.16.2012 , 11:29 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Nmaharg View Post
You should be using the best possible spec anyway. All enrage timers do is make sure that the raiders are somewhat geared.
I disagree, you should be using a spec you enjoy to play. Even if that spec is somewhat suboptimal, it should still be possible to do any non-raid content (for hardmode and nightmare OPS I can see your point, but those aren't meant for more casual playstyles anyway).

To answer the OP... I see them as counter-productive, at least if every boss in hardmode flashpoints has them. The people in need of the gear from those flashpoints will be the ones most likely to hit the enrage timer, which can be discouraging. If they're going to stick with enrage timers on all bosses in hm flashpoints, they should at least be slightly more lenient.
My referal link: http://www.swtor.com/r/VwNScj for free stuff including free server transfer & 7 days of subscription

Miallen's Avatar


Miallen
03.16.2012 , 11:34 AM | #5
No, they are not counter productive.

If you cannot produce a group capable of beating the boss prior to the enrage timer, then you need to do some gearing via HM FP or make some team adjustments. Anyone can walk in and spend 2 hours on a boss and eventually kill it. This is to challenge you to do so in a timely manner.
"Welcome men, you are now part of Operation Human Shield."
Miallen | Merrak | Essani
Outer Rim Templars | Guildmaster
. End Game Ops - PvP - Social - Leveling

Drgkain's Avatar


Drgkain
03.16.2012 , 11:34 AM | #6
So, everyone should have the exact same spec all the time just because it is the "best" spec?

I think that's rather boring. I would rather see a that Madness Sorc play lightning Sorc if he wants to, instead of being forced to Madness / Hybrid because it has 100 more dps according to the theory crafters.

Gear checks shouldn't be needed. If a team of people is good enough and well coordinated enough, player skill should matter more then if they are wearing a set of armor that makes their toon look the way they want (especially on an RP server).

If they don't have the dps but do have the stamina to spend 30 minutes on a boss fight, let them.

Why should everything be cookie cutter? Same Spec, Same Gear, same problems as WoW and every other MMO. It gets boring.

Dayln's Avatar


Dayln
03.16.2012 , 11:37 AM | #7
All meters, threat meters, dps meters, etc take away from the game, like putting training wheels on your motorcycle. If you need an easier game, go play one, donít dumb this one down.
I have a bad feeling about this

harpuax's Avatar


harpuax
03.16.2012 , 11:37 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Kendaric View Post
I disagree, you should be using a spec you enjoy to play. Even if that spec is somewhat suboptimal, it should still be possible to do any non-raid content (for hardmode and nightmare OPS I can see your point, but those aren't meant for more casual playstyles anyway).

To answer the OP... I see them as counter-productive, at least if every boss in hardmode flashpoints has them. The people in need of the gear from those flashpoints will be the ones most likely to hit the enrage timer, which can be discouraging. If they're going to stick with enrage timers on all bosses in hm flashpoints, they should at least be slightly more lenient.
Why would anyone want to be subpar? Either you know how to play your class or you don't. Choosing a bad spec makes you a bad player. And that is your choice and you are welcome to do so, but the content should not be gauged for bad players IMO. What challenge would be left for the good players?

Arcnemes's Avatar


Arcnemes
03.16.2012 , 11:38 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Drgkain View Post
So, everyone should have the exact same spec all the time just because it is the "best" spec?
Absolutely not, there is no spec requirement only a DPS requirement. You need to ensure that you are capable of generating sufficient damage to down the boss in the allotted time. If you cant, you don't deserve the rewards.

Drgkain's Avatar


Drgkain
03.16.2012 , 11:39 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Miallen View Post
No, they are not counter productive.

If you cannot produce a group capable of beating the boss prior to the enrage timer, then you need to do some gearing via HM FP or make some team adjustments. Anyone can walk in and spend 2 hours on a boss and eventually kill it. This is to challenge you to do so in a timely manner.
My Ops group has completed Hard Mode Eternity Vault a few times and We are starting on Hard Mode Karagga. We are not having issues with enraged times, it is just something occurred to me. We tend to have some people who Min Max that end up picking up slack for the one or two people who don't, it seems to end up putting more stress on the Min Maxer. We could tell the people who would rather enjoy to the game to switch specs and exactly what gear they are allowed to wear but it seems to me that would scare them off, and we like them as people, and they are our friends. Why would we force them to do something they don't want?