Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Name is invalid.

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

JCommando
03.16.2012 , 12:44 AM | #1
Ok. So my GF wants to try and play SWTOR. Now she played WoW a ton and her main class was a hunter. She creates a character. Then tries to put in her hunter's name. "Tetalia."

The name turns out to be invalid.. she tries to enter another one. Name was taken. Okay. So what's the difference?? Is Tetalia taken? How is it invalid? It's not a reference to anything that could cause a problem. Does a BW dev have something against the name? I tried doing it on another server and its saying its invalid there too. This makes no sense.

This was a few hours ago by the way.
Daltron Hellfire Ω Lord of the Sith
Death Star PR Department
Keller's Void
I like Darth Nox. He uses teh force and doesn't afraid of anything.

Rekkx
03.16.2012 , 01:43 AM | #2
The only thing I can think of is that it's a reserved name for a GM or Dev's player. Which, is unfortunate if that's the case.

That or it's a swear word in one of the languages this game supports.

It's not the case that it's already an NPC name as I made a carbon copy of an NPC with the same name and now that character is level 50 and quite happy.

It may be just a glitch. Try you random luck with a support ticket and see what happens. You never know...
Quote: Originally Posted by Badgerpanic
Now, take a deep breath, remember that this isn't real life, and CALM. DOWN.

Tirvaak
03.16.2012 , 03:15 AM | #3 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Quote: Originally Posted by JCommando View Post
Ok. So my GF wants to try and play SWTOR. Now she played WoW a ton and her main class was a hunter. She creates a character. Then tries to put in her hunter's name. "Tetalia."

The name turns out to be invalid.. she tries to enter another one. Name was taken. Okay. So what's the difference?? Is Tetalia taken? How is it invalid? It's not a reference to anything that could cause a problem. Does a BW dev have something against the name? I tried doing it on another server and its saying its invalid there too. This makes no sense.

This was a few hours ago by the way.
Hi JCommando,

I believe that you received this error due to the name being unavailable on the server that she is accessing. It should display the error "Name unavailable" but if it gave a differrent error we are very sorry for the confusion.

The only other reason you would be unable to use a specific name is if that name is in use by an NPC in swtor or in breach of the naming policy in our Rules of Conduct.

I hope this helps.

Tirvaak | Bioware Customer Service - Forum Support

Negranit
03.16.2012 , 06:21 AM | #4
Well, tetas is slang for breasts in Spanish, but since Spanish is not one of the supported languages I doubt this is the actual reason

JCommando
03.16.2012 , 01:24 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Tirvaak View Post
Hi JCommando,

I believe that you received this error due to the name being unavailable on the server that she is accessing. It should display the error "Name unavailable" but if it gave a differrent error we are very sorry for the confusion.

The only other reason you would be unable to use a specific name is if that name is in use by an NPC in swtor or in breach of the naming policy in our Rules of Conduct.

I hope this helps.
All right thank you.
Daltron Hellfire Ω Lord of the Sith
Death Star PR Department
Keller's Void
I like Darth Nox. He uses teh force and doesn't afraid of anything.