Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why did they make this game so elitist?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Why did they make this game so elitist?

Cernow
03.16.2012 , 11:56 AM | #11
LFG too I definitely agree about. The current LFG tool (if you can even call it that) is inadequate and spamming the General channel for members is hardly progress in MMO gaming. The game is mostly solo and does not naturally bring players together and a properly designed LFG tool would help with this.

Macros. Personally I think they've ruined many a good MMO. You don't need expensive gaming keyboards and mice to compete. Just a bit of thought to how you arrange your keybinds. I've got short fingers too, so I rarely use CTRL and ALT modifiers, I prefer to memorise a wider range of keybinds. If you stick to putting certain types of abilities on the same keybind from character to character it makes things easier. For example, I always put my main attacks, aoe abilities, channeled abilities, heals and interupts on the same keys on every character.

Tanking flashpoints for the first time I TOTALLY agree. If you are there for your first time it is really hard to know what to do, especially because everyone looks to the tank. DPS can sit back and react, Healers can wait until they need to react. Tanks need to lead. So there's a dinstinct advantage for players who have done it before on an alt, or played beta etc. I agree there needs to be a codex entry for each boss which at least gives some hints on tactics.

Threat meters I'm ambivalent about. I never use them when tanking, I prefer visual cues from the mobs as to when I'm losing threat, not some flashing light or sound effect. But no reason not to have them for those that would like to use them.

Seperation of buffs and debuffs, definitely. It's very lazy design to not do this.

I'm not so sure that these things are elitism though. They are mostly the result of lazy design. Things that a competent dev team should have included from launch but couldn't be bothered to.

Trolltar
03.16.2012 , 11:59 AM | #12
I don't think its an elitist thing. But the game is kind of user unfriendly
Merkavah:MEMBER
PAXDOMINUS
Website | Recruitment Thread

Isaccard
03.16.2012 , 12:02 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by SkuzBukit View Post
My daughter is 10 years old, she has never played an MMO before in her life, she played SWTOR for 2 hours straight & not once asked me a question, she doesn't watch me play because she's usually on her own PC playing facebook games like farmville & other "easy as pie stuff" she's bright but no genius & as a yardstick I'd say a 10 year old girl with no MMO experience picking up a game & playing it for 2 hours straight with no problems is a pretty good indication of it being easy to pick up.
I'd be damn proud if I were you. That's awesome.

KorinHyvek
03.16.2012 , 12:03 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Jeffor View Post
In general, the community in this game is terrible when you can even tell that there is a community. The best choice, in your case, may be to play the game as single player the way Bioware envisioned.
Varies wildly by server. Mine is actually pretty good. Yours must be pretty bad, from the sounds of it.

Unless you're talking about the forums. Because MMO forums are, in my limited experience, anyway, a cesspool of stupidity and whining.

As far as a LFG tool, a lot less needs to be done to it than people think. People are just too lazy to use it, and it require everyone to be very attentive to it. There are certainly some ease of use things that should be added (Don't reset it every time you change areas, more keyword based, notifications on people changing their LFG status to a matching keyword, perhaps), but if everyone would just use the thing, they'd find it would actually work reasonably well.

Jellison
03.16.2012 , 12:08 PM | #15
This made me chuckle a little. If you want me to actually laugh you're going to have to try harder.
Flagging and getting flagged, all day every day.

VanorDM
03.16.2012 , 12:13 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by MarcusH View Post
seen the fights lately a ranged shot 3 times before a melee class even manage to hit em twice! thats very unbalanced and unfair!
Sounds like the melee players don't know what they're doing if that's true.

Elyssandra
03.16.2012 , 12:43 PM | #17
Can you please stop the abuse of the term 'elitist'?

Thank you.

Metaspark
03.16.2012 , 12:59 PM | #18
tl;dr: OP went overboard with mods in WoW, now he can't handle a vanilla game that doesn't support any mods

jayistatted
03.16.2012 , 01:03 PM | #19
There is nothing "Elitist" about SWTOR. If there is, it gets booted out by the community. Elitism does not exist here. Try again, mate.

CJAShadow
03.16.2012 , 01:10 PM | #20
I am an elitist.

As a healer, I ask people to run OUT of red circles of death during boss fights.

Or, I ask Tanks/Dps to Interuppt cast bars.

I still will play with you, but don't get angry at me for telling you to do things that will help you succeed.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lock- Master Zhar Lestin
Cyann- Harbinger