Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

iTunes and lag issues?

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Dawginole
03.15.2012 , 11:05 PM | #1
Sometimes I listen to audiobooks or podcasts via iTunes while I play and I always seem to get some graphics lag when I do. Running Fraps I've verified this. It's not the program being open, that issues no change. It's when audio is playing only. Pressing play will reduce FPS by 10-20 frames dropping me for 110 to 90-100 FPS.

Obviously this should be a non-issue as even 90 FPS should be so far above what the human eye can detect it's arguably a non-issue. However, it's also introduce lag. So I get stutter in the FPS/gameplay.

What is super odd about this, is that I dual monitor and often will watch a movie or TV show on my second monitor while I play and never see any reduction, stutter, or lag while I game. One would think that video would be far more taxing on my system than audio. So while this is entirely a guess, it seems that the problem is just being reproduced by a combination of the game and iTunes playback.

The easy solution here is to try a secondary program for listening to audio while gaming, which I'm happy to try. But I was curious if anyone else has experienced this problem with iTunes first to try to determine if it is a repeatable iTunes issue across multiple systems, or if it is just a conflict with the game and iTunes on my system.

Thanks for your help and feedback.

System specs:
Win7 64-bit
i7-920 OC 4.2Ghz liquid cooled
12GB G.Skill Sniper ram air cooled
ATI HD5850 air cooled
7200rpm Barracuda HDD
Soon.™*
*Soon.™: Bioware Corp, Inc. All rights reserved. "Soon.™" does not imply any particular date, time, decade, century, or millennia in the past, present, and certainly not the future. "Soon.™" shall make no contract or warranty between Bioware and the end user. "Soon.™" will arrive some day, however Bioware does guarantee that "Soon.™" will be here before the end of time. Maybe. Do not make plans based on "Soon™" as Bioware will not be liable for any misuse, use, or even casual glancing at "Soon.™". Thank you for your patience.

Rigsta
03.15.2012 , 11:09 PM | #2
Simply put, use a different media player. iTunes is pretty horrible. Winamp or VLC maybe.

grfu
03.15.2012 , 11:13 PM | #3
Yeah, best bet is to use a different media player.

Dawginole
03.15.2012 , 11:41 PM | #4
Will give another a try. I have major issues with iTunes anyway. I'm still baffled by the fact that Apple is using an 11 year old music player to sync a smart phone and a tablet computer...
Soon.™*
*Soon.™: Bioware Corp, Inc. All rights reserved. "Soon.™" does not imply any particular date, time, decade, century, or millennia in the past, present, and certainly not the future. "Soon.™" shall make no contract or warranty between Bioware and the end user. "Soon.™" will arrive some day, however Bioware does guarantee that "Soon.™" will be here before the end of time. Maybe. Do not make plans based on "Soon™" as Bioware will not be liable for any misuse, use, or even casual glancing at "Soon.™". Thank you for your patience.

Valethar
03.15.2012 , 11:57 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Dawginole View Post
Will give another a try. I have major issues with iTunes anyway. I'm still baffled by the fact that Apple is using an 11 year old music player to sync a smart phone and a tablet computer...
Winamp was released around 1997.

Windows Media Player 6.1 was released around 1995.

VLC was started in 1996.

1997 - 2012 = 15 years.

1996 - 2012 = 16 years.

1995 - 2012 = 17 years.

If the age of the application is an issue, you're going to be dissatisfied with many of them.
"Due to the massive loss of subscribers in our flagship title, we decided to cancel Blizzcon this year, because frankly, we don't think there's anyone left who would show up."

Space_Gimp
03.16.2012 , 12:09 AM | #6
I use PowerDVD or is that a completely different program to this subject?
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence." - Ghandi

Rogoo
03.16.2012 , 12:16 AM | #7
I'm an iTunes fan. It was literally the first BIG (apple bought it, I know) media player with ALL your tunes in a library. First time I saw it in 2001 - I never looked back.

That being said - iTunes indeed tends to be resource heavy, but NOT to an extent that any modern rig could not handle.

I mean right now my Opera browser takes 1 gig of RAM, I have a video SWTOR podcast running on my second monitor, and all is nice and dandy.

Of course I'm only doing solo PvE atm.

Basically, no - iTunes should not be diminishing your framerate, but if it IS, then by all means, turn it off and try VLC or Winamp.
You are not your rig specs. You are not your K/D ratio. You are not your character level. You are not your sig.
Gunslinger / Shadow / Sentinel / Powertech
The Hero engine: a 2005 technology bringing 2013 rigs to their knees.

Dawginole
03.16.2012 , 09:40 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Valethar View Post
Winamp was released around 1997.

Windows Media Player 6.1 was released around 1995.

VLC was started in 1996.

1997 - 2012 = 15 years.

1996 - 2012 = 16 years.

1995 - 2012 = 17 years.

If the age of the application is an issue, you're going to be dissatisfied with many of them.
You clearly missed my point.
Soon.™*

ChrisCollins
03.16.2012 , 10:00 AM | #9 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
While I'm in no way shape or form the greatest font of knowledge when it comes to how SWTOR uses hardware, I have run into this exact issue in the past.

The crux of my issue (and it was to do with another MMO and iTunes) was that I didn't have a sound-card. What was happening was simply that the on board sound chipset was causing a bottleneck and slowing everything down at a processor level, as it has to use the processor - it simply couldn't handle iTunes and rendering another audio source at the same time.

I bought a cheap sound card (£20 ish) and it fixed it instantly.

Again, I'm not saying this will fix your issue in particular, but you didn't list a sound card while talking about audio issues, so I'm working under the assumption that you're using your on-board sound. People often don't think that audio requires processing horsepower too.

Harleyz
03.16.2012 , 10:02 AM | #10
Omg.....