Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

★★★[ARENA] - benefits of adding ARENA to SWTOR★★★

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
★★★[ARENA] - benefits of adding ARENA to SWTOR★★★

Broom
03.15.2012 , 07:15 PM | #21
PVP is my preferred playstyle and I've been known to spend 90% of my time doing it. (As a side-note: I also happen to be female, as are a lot of die-hard PVPers in my acquaintance. What on earth makes you think women aren't competitive?)

I personally prefer objective based open world PVP over all. Realm versus realm. Going into enemy lands, not knowing how many the other side has, where they'll be waiting for you, or whether or not they could get reinforcements, trying to outsmart them, actually using strategy and tactics. That, to me, is PVP. Wagames, by whatever name, are a nice diversion, especially the bigger battles (which SWTOR sadly doesn't have), but it's not as challenging.

Arena though... meh. Fixed numbers against fixed numbers, strict rules... totally not my thing, and definitely not something that will attract me to a game or will keep me in one. And I strongly dislike the attitudes you get from some arena players. They wind up in a pvp zone, and start bleating 'you cheat' when you e.g. use potions in PVP. (No duh, I play to win, and I'll use anything allowed under the game mechanics to do so). Or they die in a PVP zone and go 'you are all $&*$&# for ganking me 3 v 1, I demand you fight me 1v1. (Uhm, no, get with the program. This isn't a duelling zone, it's a PVP zone, and PVP just happened.).
<Fated>
Vornskr - Empire - PVE / The Fatman - Republic - PVP

ZcorpionX
03.15.2012 , 07:15 PM | #22
In a balanced game i love the concept of arenas, heck even loved it in wow when i was playign that game. Id defo want to see it in swotor aslong as the rewards are purely cosmetic and bragging rights. And i also believe itll attract a bigger crowd, wich if you look at the different servers is welcome. But theres alot of things that need to be sorted before they can even consider adding arenas, performance, some classes with bugged skills ect, combat log?????!!!! Still id love to play some arenas again!

Caedorn
03.15.2012 , 07:17 PM | #23
As a multi-gladiator warrior from WoW, I can tell you now this game is not ready for Arena. I enjoy the pvp in this game a lot, but this game doesn't even have macros to support focus targets and the character interaction still feels clunky, keybinds sometimes don't go off, etc. Unless you're wanting to treat it like skimishes then Arena would just put the imbalances of these classes under more scrutiny.

Mirialol
03.15.2012 , 07:19 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Caedorn View Post
As a multi-gladiator warrior from WoW, I can tell you now this game is not ready for Arena. I enjoy the pvp in this game a lot, but this game doesn't even have macros to support focus targets and the character interaction still feels clunky, keybinds sometimes don't go off, etc. Unless you're wanting to treat it like skimishes then Arena would just put the imbalances of these classes under more scrutiny.

yea i posted this with assumption that these UI issues / lack of macros and combat logs will be fixed in near future

but speaking class balancewise, swtor now is no worse than beginning of TBC

jitsuo
03.15.2012 , 07:21 PM | #25
Was going to come in and reject, I then read the reasons why arenas should be allowed and softened my ideas. After reading your suggestions for improvement over WoW's arena, I would LOVE these ideas to be implemented. Only problem is that the 1v1 arena will inspire some EXTREME QQ.

I can see terrible players que-ing in and getting wrecked by some class, then coming here to cry NERF. If the 1v1 arenas would be going against people with similar rankings/records (or maybe just not save the records for 1v1, TF2 got it right when they didn't have a K/D).
Quote: Originally Posted by Gonewild View Post
PVP was overpowered, and under performed. It will therefore be removed from the game until which time it can be implemented to a level of satisfaction deserved by SWTOR customers!

Agemnon
03.15.2012 , 07:21 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Mirialol View Post
There are so many reasons to list, and I want to avoid wall of texts. I will try to organize this post as much as possible.

-Objective oriented PvP doesn't give players any incentives to "play well". In warzones, you simply respawn if you are killed due to inferior casting animations or being ROFLstomped by a team that actually manages to stay together while the other team is fragmented, or by simply not being a FOTM class that has short CDs and super fast resource regeneration.
[/U]
Fixed. Lol at that awkward moment when 3 powertechs keep fighting a team with the same composition, and all are dismayed at the playing field actually being level (for all the wrong reasons).

TheMunny
03.15.2012 , 07:21 PM | #27
Well thought out post, but after the arena debacle of WoW I vote no for now. While the idea of arenas was unique in its time I for one am glad to see it DoA in this game. I would rather have the Devs spend time trying to figure out a creative way to get the WAR cooking on all cylinders.

Not to mention the in game community after the Arenas inception took a huge turn for the worse, no thanks for a repeat.

iceperson
03.15.2012 , 07:22 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Anbokr View Post
You can't throw three 5'10" basketball players on one team and expect to do well. Arena is about skill, comp, and strategy--like nearly every other sport. RMP in WoW would be the triangle in basketball, yes it's been strong and effective for years; however, there are alternatives and many other comps can be successful.
yeah right

http://www.arenastats.com/index.php?...200&mt=5&mg=20
http://www.arenastats.com/index.php?...400&mt=5&mg=20
http://www.arenastats.com/index.php?...600&mt=5&mg=20

how to succeed in arena
1) find an OP comp
2) face-roll people who didn't do 1

Agemnon
03.15.2012 , 07:24 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Caedorn View Post
A PvE class making gladiator = win. Yeah I dislike not having macros too I keep typing either tab to target hostile or the ` above it to target friendly and it oftentimes doesn't go to whom I want. Sometimes clicking is viable, though unrealistic most of the time because people keep running around and other characters get in their way.

Mirialol
03.15.2012 , 07:24 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by jitsuo View Post
Was going to come in and reject, I then read the reasons why arenas should be allowed and softened my ideas. After reading your suggestions for improvement over WoW's arena, I would LOVE these ideas to be implemented. Only problem is that the 1v1 arena will inspire some EXTREME QQ.

I can see terrible players que-ing in and getting wrecked by some class, then coming here to cry NERF. If the 1v1 arenas would be going against people with similar rankings/records (or maybe just not save the records for 1v1, TF2 got it right when they didn't have a K/D).

yea, but queues will be based on ratings, so terrible players will queue in vs other terrible players (hopefully having close to 50% win rate)