Padawan Age Limit

RodericHawker

Is there an age limit for how long one can be a padawan? I know Obi-Wan became a padawan at 25, so it must older than that.

Can a person to be a padawan for as long as they live? :confused:

*Meant to say that Obi - Wan became a Jedi Knight at 25

Edited by RodericHawker

Is there an age limit for how long one can be a padawan? I know Obi-Wan became a padawan at 25, so it must older than that.

Can a person to be a padawan for as long as they live? :confused:

Jolee Bindu was technically a Padawan for his entire life, but he was onot really a jEdi anymore. They made Revan a Padawan at 30 something.

And the Jedi do not actually care about age per say ... they just want to start Jedi training before people learn preconceived rules like gravity, because the force is capable of breaking these rules and if they learn them before hand these can hamper learning (if you learn it's impossible to jump more than a meter in the air due to you weight+gravity, you would then struggle to jump much higher as Jedi do because "it's impossible" has already taken root in your mind - much like Luke and the X-wing)).

SO I would say no there is on "official" limit on becoming or staying a Padawan.

Being a Padawan just means you've entered a point where you are now ready to spend time being trained one on one with a Master who takes you out into the galaxy on missions and such.

There's no real age requirement involved here.

In the Jedi Knight storyline in the game, I've run across a number of dark jedi who either I get to go to Typhon or where sent there by someone else. They become Padawans even though they were already full fledged Sith.

Jedi Initiate

The term Jedi Initiate, Jedi Trainee, or Youngling referred to a Force-sensitive child who was undergoing the early stages of Jedi training at a Jedi academy. In the Old Order, the term was used to denote members of the Order from the time they joined communal learning group known as a clan, until the time they passed the Initiate Trials and were selected by a Jedi Knight or Master for one-on-one training as a Padawan. During peacetime when the academy functioned on a standard teaching regiment, Initiates' training was restricted to the academy at which they were based, rarely venturing outside of its walls. Youngling was a term that existed in Galactic Basic Standard to refer to a child in a species-neutral way; the term was often used affectionately by the handlers that oversaw Initiate training.

Padawan

A Padawan, Padawan learner, or Jedi Apprentice in Basic, referred to a Force-sensitive adolescent who had begun one-on-one instruction with a Jedi Knight or Master outside of the Jedi academy. Having passed the Initiate Trials and ascended in rank from an Initiate, Padawans were given more responsibilities within the Jedi Order but were subject to the demands of their master

Jedi Knight

A Jedi Knight referred to a member of the Jedi Order, who had completed their Jedi training as a student in the Jedi academy, in addition to one-on-one training as a Padawan and the completion of the Jedi Trials.

As a Knight and a full member of the Order, these individuals received assignments from the Jedi Councils and strove to find peace, and maintain order within the Galactic Republic. Making up the majority of the Order's members, the public was familiar with this title more than any other, and, thus, many addressed any Jedi as "Knight".

Jolee Bindu was technically a Padawan for his entire life, but he was onot really a jEdi anymore. They made Revan a Padawan at 30 something.

And the Jedi do not actually care about age per say ... they just want to start Jedi training before people learn preconceived rules like gravity, because the force is capable of breaking these rules and if they learn them before hand these can hamper learning (if you learn it's impossible to jump more than a meter in the air due to you weight+gravity, you would then struggle to jump much higher as Jedi do because "it's impossible" has already taken root in your mind - much like Luke and the X-wing)).

SO I would say no there is on "official" limit on becoming or staying a Padawan.

This is so cool. That's an awesome explanation to the whole "age" thing in Star Wars.

Typically initiates become padawans around the time they hit puberty. While some take a bit longer than that, if they take too long to be found worthy by a knight or master for one on one training, they typically get retired to the Agricorps or one of the Order's other sub-institutions.

Similarly if they take far longer than acceptable to get ready for the trials, or if they fail major steps in their progress (like not succeeding in making their own lightsaber).

You don't get all eternity to become a padawan, nor to become a knight.

Of course, during the time of KotOR there are several exceptions where young adults get taken in as initiates or even straight into padawan status, but I doubt even them get to take forever to complete their training. There has to be, y'know, actual progress.

Edited by Bielduwyn

At the time of the prequels, the age limit for first becoming a Padawan was 13.

Obi-Wan became a Padawan just before his 13th birthday and became a full Jedi Knight at 25.

I don't think there is a limit of how long you can be a Padawan for so I suppose you could be one for the rest of your life.

Edited by LeeTone