Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Which came first: 100 heat or 12 ammo?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Which came first: 100 heat or 12 ammo?

Aristeed
03.21.2012 , 11:50 AM | #21
There is no question that the bounty hunter was developed prior to the trooper. I clearly recall from early 2009 teasers and on the web-sight details about the development of the bounty hunter. The trooper was not revealed for almost another year.

The Republic had the development time advantage as far as Jedi Knight vs Sith Warrior I believe, but not by much. This doesn't seem to do them many favors however as the Jedi starting world layout and plot seems more like it was a "proof of concept" that was left as is.

Darthshnooky
03.21.2012 , 12:39 PM | #22
If memory serves, at one point Troopers in alpha or very early beta were quite different. Their ammo mechanics functioned differently and while the basic concept was similar, i don't think they were initially designed as absolute mirrors. Something happened at some point that made BW decide to go full mirror, like it or not.

Remember, also, at one point early in development they were going to have 3 factions. So there were a lot of changes along the way that could've created a very different game. I'm pretty sure anyone who likes pvp wishes they had stuck with 3 factions to make things infinitely more interesting... but here we are.

GalnarDegana
03.21.2012 , 01:30 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Darthshnooky View Post
i don't think they were initially designed as absolute mirrors. Something happened at some point that made BW decide to go full mirror, like it or not.
I think this is it. The question should be "which came first, the classes or the fact they should be mirrored?" In that case, it was probably classes.
Gunslinger Guide | Complete Valor Points List | Official Gunslinger Representative Questions Page
Harbinger: Geldarion ('Slinger), Shadowlands: Geldaria (Sniper)
Owner of The Fanatical Swordsman, cohost for Casual Core Radio, PvP Writer and former cohost for Corellian Run Radio

swtonewbie
03.21.2012 , 04:31 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by GreymaneAlpha View Post
I'm not talking about this from a balance perspective...I'm assuming that (for the most part) everything is number-crunched correctly to work out.

What I'm talking about is just how BIZARRE it is that you have 100 heat vs 12 ammo, when (obviously) 100 is not divisible by 12.
Well they probably tried to do it in percentages...but they didnt even do that right.

For example BH has tracer missile and power shot, without taking talents from the tree into consideration both of those cost 25 heat, thats 25 out of a 100 so 25% of your resource. Now look at the trooper counterpart, IF you were to take the same percentage of 25%, then 25% out of your resource pool of 12 ammo would be 3 ammo. But without talents, grav round and charged bolts cost 2 ammo. So even some of the base abilities arent matching up. This is either a huge oversight on their part, or an attempt to try and balance an imperfect mirror system.

How they could fix it?
-make it like EVERY OTHER CLASS/FACTION MIRROR IN THE GAME and make the resource pool a straight 1:1 mirror. Easiest would be to make the ammo counter 100, regen rates can be put at the same point for each. BH heat system can be left untouched.

-if they insist on keeping troopers unique and keeping it at 12 ammo, then make the regen rate flat all the way across. I'm not even going to bother with doing the math, researching or even putting my basic observation skills to the test. But i'll just assume that for both classes assuming order of abilities being cast are identical, that eventually they reach a point where regen is NOT equal. Make the regen the same if you are empty and full and you have no problems. that is if BW does insist on keeping trooper ammo at 12, other wise the first option above may be the easiest.

I'm sure BW is doing some form of the above, or they have their own solution. Or maybe they plan on nerfing BH damage again so that it balances out the resource disparity...