Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Which came first: 100 heat or 12 ammo?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Which came first: 100 heat or 12 ammo?

GreymaneAlpha
03.14.2012 , 02:04 PM | #1
I've always wondered about the discrepancy between two "mirror classes" with Heat vs Ammo.

12 Ammo feels natural...Your abilities are 1, 2, or 3 ammo. 100 Heat just seems really weird, though. Your abilities are 8, 16, or 25 heat? But actually, they're 8.33333, 16.333, and 25 heat? Or maybe your 1 ammo is actually 1.0416 ammo?

Obviously, 100 is not divisible by 12. Which means that at some point in the development process, they had to decide to intentionally make either Heat or Ammo a non-integer quantity, simply so that the Mirror classes would not be ~4% off from each other in DPS.

How did this come up? Was it like "we have 12 ammo because it feels cool, so we're not gonna measure heat in arbitrary units up to 100, and have some awkward math!"?

It just seems....so odd to me. Why not have 120 heat? Or just have 12 heat? Or design everything so that you have 20 ammo, or 10 ammo?

GreymaneAlpha
03.14.2012 , 02:08 PM | #2
I'm sad this got moved to class discussion =(

JCommando
03.14.2012 , 02:09 PM | #3
They're going to be adressing this soon.

As it is now Bounty Hunters have somewhat of an advantage over Troopers because of their resources. When a bounty hunter gets Rezzed they have low heat.. meanwhile that's good for them. When a Trooper gets rezzed they have low ammo. Which is bad for them.

At least this how I think it is.
Daltron Hellfire Ω Lord of the Sith
Death Star PR Department
Keller's Void
I like Darth Nox. He uses teh force and doesn't afraid of anything.

GreymaneAlpha
03.14.2012 , 02:17 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by JCommando View Post
They're going to be adressing this soon.

As it is now Bounty Hunters have somewhat of an advantage over Troopers because of their resources. When a bounty hunter gets Rezzed they have low heat.. meanwhile that's good for them. When a Trooper gets rezzed they have low ammo. Which is bad for them.

At least this how I think it is.
I'm not talking about this from a balance perspective...I'm assuming that (for the most part) everything is number-crunched correctly to work out.

What I'm talking about is just how BIZARRE it is that you have 100 heat vs 12 ammo, when (obviously) 100 is not divisible by 12.

hadoken
03.14.2012 , 02:19 PM | #5
It seems pretty clear to me the two factions were developed by different teams. The animation inconsistencies, in this case resource differences, art/polish issues, etc. Wouldn't be surprised if they weren't even in the same physical space.

Xaearth
03.14.2012 , 02:24 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by hadoken View Post
It seems pretty clear to me the two factions were developed by different teams. The animation inconsistencies, in this case resource differences, art/polish issues, etc. Wouldn't be surprised if they weren't even in the same physical space.
Well duh. This is Star Wars after all, we can't totally deny the laws of physics.

Isn't there something about matter occupying the same space in there?
"The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones;
So let it be with BioWare."
~ SWTOR Update 1.2: Legacy

Halzerttok
03.14.2012 , 02:27 PM | #7
I've thought of this a lot as well. My guess is they designed the bounty hunter with 100 heat first, and then the trooper, which is why they have the odd number of 12, but then I wonder if this is really the cast, why don't troopers carry around 100 bullets like a real soldier would.

GreymaneAlpha
03.14.2012 , 02:28 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Halzerttok View Post
I've thought of this a lot as well. My guess is they designed the bounty hunter with 100 heat first, and then the trooper, which is why they have the odd number of 12, but then I wonder if this is really the cast, why don't troopers carry around 100 bullets like a real soldier would.
That would mean that they would have to have said "our heat valus will be 8, 16, and....25! No one wants 24 heat!", right?

Technohic
03.14.2012 , 02:29 PM | #9
They wanted something for both Metric and English measurement countries can understand.

Halzerttok
03.14.2012 , 02:30 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by GreymaneAlpha View Post
That would mean that they would have to have said "our heat valus will be 8, 16, and....25! No one wants 24 heat!", right?
That's come to mind a lot too. In the end, I just blame it on Bioware for making this a challenging math problem for me.