Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How well will this game run on this?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
How well will this game run on this?

Gomuningen
03.14.2012 , 10:55 AM | #11
Also i highly recommend a SSD if you want fast load times....Once you go SSD you wont go back....

TheOnlyKyrenS
03.14.2012 , 11:02 AM | #12
Thanks you guys. With one guys help, I think i found a pretty decent one.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...273&CatId=5205

I'll be sure to pick up a SSD and better PSU as well.
Quote: Originally Posted by corbanite View Post
oh great more constructive criticism.. god knows why some people think there are haters on this forum

Loxion
03.14.2012 , 11:03 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by TheOnlyKyrenS View Post
yea i was gonna upgrade that because the one in the kit is only 450 and the graphics cards min is 450 so that would be crap
The quality of the unit itself and the available amps on the +12v rail(s) are far more important than just wattage.
Anything above is purely the opinion of the poster, unless otherwise stated

The Knights Who Say Ni - Republic Guild

PostalTwinkie
03.14.2012 , 11:04 AM | #14
Thanks you guys. With one guys help, I think i found a pretty decent one.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...273&CatId=5205

I'll be sure to pick up a SSD and better PSU as well.
You will want to upgrade the video card in that unit, in fact I would go with a unit without that card and grab the card you were looking at originally. Tight on the budget, but the card included in that system is going to struggle.
Quote: Originally Posted by Blavatsky View Post
Problems of the First World.

"My Video Game Dev implements improvements to my gaming experience in a clandestine manner , this is costing me virtual money "

TheOnlyKyrenS
03.14.2012 , 11:05 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Loxion View Post
The quality of the unit itself and the available amps on the +12v rail(s) are far more important than just wattage.
Oh yea? I'm sorry, I don't know jack about PSUs so thanks for letting me know that.
oh great more constructive criticism.. god knows why some people think there are haters on this forum

TheOnlyKyrenS
03.14.2012 , 11:07 AM | #16
So then,

this

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...860&CatId=5205

with that orignal card i found, a ssd, better PSU and another 4 gig or possibly 8 gig stick?

PostalTwinkie
03.14.2012 , 11:08 AM | #17
Oh yea? I'm sorry, I don't know jack about PSUs so thanks for letting me know that.
Uh oh....

Not to sound rude, but he is going to send you down a long dark tunnel that is filled with myths and such.

Here are some basics..

Stick with brands like Antec, OCZ, Corsair, XFX and you are fine on the quality. Then just get one that is rated, wattage wise, for what you need plus a little. At that point you just need to make sure it has the proper connectors, and you are set.

Do yourself a favor, don't start getting into the "number of rails" and other inane topics.

"My Video Game Dev implements improvements to my gaming experience in a clandestine manner , this is costing me virtual money "

PostalTwinkie
03.14.2012 , 11:11 AM | #18
So then,

this

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...860&CatId=5205

with that orignal card i found, a ssd, better PSU and another 4 gig or possibly 8 gig stick?
That would be a way to go. You will want to toss in another memory module because it only comes with one, which means your system will run it in a single channel mode. You need 2 modules to achieve dual channel operation.

EDIT: Let me work another system, not going "bare bone", and see what you can get.

EDIT 2: Do you have a legitimate copy of an OS you are going to install? Because even the bare bone kits don't come with that.

TheOnlyKyrenS
03.14.2012 , 11:16 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post
That would be a way to go. You will want to toss in another memory module because it only comes with one, which means your system will run it in a single channel mode. You need 2 modules to achieve dual channel operation.

EDIT: Let me work another system, not going "bare bone", and see what you can get.
Ok then. I'm going to be leaving the school in about an hour so if, you're not done by then, sorry for the late reply as it is a long *** ride back home lol.

Loxion
03.14.2012 , 11:17 AM | #20
No probs, this is my personal recommendation and by no means the be all and end all of PSUs.

However, I would always go for a quality unit by a manufacturer like Corsair, PC Power and Cooling, OCZ or Seasonic (Seasonic actually make alot of the Corsair units). I also prefer single +12v rails units as they are less likely to waste power. The reason for that many things in the system draw power of varying amounts (the GPU is normally the single biggest power draw), but each item must take all its power from one rail. So, in a multiple rail unit it can work as below (simplified numbers).

+12v rail 1 = 18 amps
+12v rail 2 = 18 amps
+12v rail 3 = 18 amps

2x GPU draws 15 amps each
CPU draws 7 amps
Fans draw 6 amps
HDD draws 6 amps

The total draw of that system is 49 amps and you have a total of 54 amps which would seem enough. But, when you break it down to parts drawing from specific rails:

+12v rail 1 - GPU 1 (15) which leaves 3 amps
+12v rail 2 - GPU 2 (15) which leaves 3 amps
+12v rail 3 - CPU (7), Fans (6) which leaves 5 amps

There is no rail that can happily provide the 6 amps for the fans, but they will still try and draw that power which would overload the PSU, it would probably work for a while OK but it would age alot quicker and is far more likely to fail. HOpe that makes sense

You should be aiming for a PSU that can power your system, with the system at full load and the PSU being at about 70% - 80% (Max) of its capability. This will help prolong the life of the PSU (they all age and as they age their output will reduce).

As a guide I use here to help me work out what I need. Put in all the information about your system, fans, peripherals, USB devices etc. Set the capacitor aging to 10% for a new PSU and click calculate. It will give you a recommended wattage at the top, I usually go for 1 or 2 sizes above that to give me some head room for expansion etc.

Quote: Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post
Uh oh....

Not to sound rude, but he is going to send you down a long dark tunnel that is filled with myths and such.

Here are some basics..

Stick with brands like Antec, OCZ, Corsair, XFX and you are fine on the quality. Then just get one that is rated, wattage wise, for what you need plus a little. At that point you just need to make sure it has the proper connectors, and you are set.

Do yourself a favor, don't start getting into the "number of rails" and other inane topics.
Your right, I have put quite a bit of info about rails etc because it is VERY relevant. Luckily, in the vast majority of cases the above examples don't happen as long as you buy a quality unit. However, people often buy cheap and the factors above are the biggest cause of failed cheap PSUs. Ignoring it doesn't make the facts go away.
Anything above is purely the opinion of the poster, unless otherwise stated

The Knights Who Say Ni - Republic Guild