Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Star Wars Books

iCanUseTheForce
03.19.2012 , 12:59 PM | #21
I've read the Thrawn Trilogy, as well as the 2-part Zahn "Thrawn" set. What next? I'd like to continue the stories of Mara & Luke. Also, that 2-part set mentions things that occur between Zahn's 2 Thrawn sets. Where can I find those stories (ie - the Jedi Academy, Exar Kuhn reborn, Mara with Kataarn, etc)?

Angel_of_Cain
03.19.2012 , 02:33 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by SilverBlink View Post
Where is a good place to start reading Star Wars books. I've never really bothered to read anything before but the lore interest me. I would like to start from the earliest time and go up from there.
I would recommend the Thrawn Trilogy(by Timothy Zahn): Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, Last Command. They are easy to follow if you are only familiar with the movies (especially the original triology) After that, try the Jedi Academy Trilogy(by Kevin J. Anderson): Jedi Search, Dark Apprentace, Champions of the Force.
Quote: Originally Posted by battlebug View Post
can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out.
Quote: Originally Posted by VoidJustice View Post
The community itself ended any chance at open world pvp by rolling imperial in mass.

Restepor
03.19.2012 , 06:28 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by jmdatcs View Post
The Thrawn trilogy.
The Thrawn trilogy!
The Thrawn trilogy!

Heir to the empire is the first. These are, in my opinion, easily the best SW books.

The Thrawn duo-logy is also good, but not as good.
Spoiler

Always check ratings. Lucas has been a little loose with the quality control over the years and there are some real turds out there.

I would avoid anything to do with the Yuuzhan Vong. I think this era in the EU containes a lot of the aforementioned turds. I also don't think it's really SW. SW is Jedi vs. Sith, empire vs. republic and the Vong are just some anti-tech religious zealots that don't fit in the SW universe.

Edit: A previous poster mentioned the Thrawn trilogy already. He listed it as the Zahn trilogy for the author, Timothy Zahn.
I just finished that series about last month, and I can say NO OTHER STAR WARS BOOK CAN TOUCH IT. Really, read it now.

RaHarmakis
03.20.2012 , 12:28 PM | #24
I really liked I Jedi by Michal Stackpole.

It's the only book written in the First Person viewpoint, and deals with Coran Horn learning that he is force sensitive and becoming a Jedi.

Been years since I read it, but it was really cool.

Agree the X-Wing series is great! All of the new books have become very very Jedi centric. It's nice to have this series that deals with the regular guys like Wedge Antilles. I wish that they would do more in this style.

Thawn Trilogy - This series is responsible for getting more people hooked on star wars books than all other books combined. I have no proof of it... but it's true lol

Movie Novels & those set just before and after - Great place to start. Anything that adds to the stories you love is a good thing!

Karen Traviss - I really liked her books, and am sad that her story arc will remain unfinished. Traviss Loves the Mandalorians, and hates the Jedi, and that comes out in her stories. I imagine her stories are kind of like those that we would read about the Romans if we could find what the Carthaginians wrote about them. It was a refreshing take from the Jedi Can Do No Wrong stuff that prevails in the novels.

Kna-am
03.20.2012 , 06:03 PM | #25
As mentioned by others in prior posts, I would highly reccomend the books by Timothy Zahn. Zahn also recently wrote a book about Mara that is set prior to the others he wrote, I am currently reading it and it is good so far. I thought the New Jedi Order series was good partially because it was different than the typical 'Jedi vs. Sith' storyline. Aside from those, the Darth Bane trilogy is good, and the "Jedi Academy Trilogy", "I, Jedi", and "Shadows of the Empire" are all excellent and easy to read in my opinion.

statistx
03.21.2012 , 06:10 AM | #26
I like the books that have nothing to do with the movies or the characters from the movies...like the old republic ones, sadly there are not too many of them

psandak
03.21.2012 , 08:18 AM | #27
Fact is that the Timothy Zahn's "Thrawn Trilogy" was the first officially authorized novels based on Star Wars. Zahn spent YEARS trying to convince Lucas to write it. So "Heir to the Empire" is where the EU begins and where EVERYONE should start (IMHO). After that, I agree with other posters that anything SW and Zahn is a good read.

The entire X-Wing series is great but, as someone else mentions, this series is about Wedge Antilles and his two squadrons of X-Wing pilots (For those unfamiliar with the name - ANH: death star trench run with Luke, has to pull out because his X-Wing is damaged, ESB: he takes out the first AT-AT with the tow-cable, RotJ: he leads the X-Wing squadron in the death star space battle and he and Lando take out the death star; in short the ONLY non-major character to be in and survive all three three OT movies).

I also liked the Jedi Academy Trilogy and I, Jedi (the events of the Academy Trilogy through the eyes of an older trainee).

Going pre-OT - The Han Solo trilogy is a fun read: takes you through his life up until he meets the rebellion.

Root for the "bad guy" - Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy; the protagonist is Boba Fett.

The problem I had with the NJO series...
Spoiler

Deviss
03.21.2012 , 08:24 AM | #28
Reading Darth Bane trilogy is a good way to start.
http://lorefreak.com
Only I have been both Fanboy and Hater and found clarity in the Force…
Interviews, debates, reviews, articles and more, all Star Wars related - embrace your inner nerd(i)ness!

NinjaChopstick
03.23.2012 , 09:50 PM | #29
what really got me into the books, and now have just about every book printed (2 whole bookshelves full of them), and read em all, except maybe 1 or 2, was the x-wing series. my curiousness took over and the rest is history. This was back when the x-wing series just came out.

but thrawn trilogy was good. id start with shadows of the empire though.

NiallNW
03.23.2012 , 11:51 PM | #30
So if I'm wanting read the New Republic Era books then where would be a good place to start, Thrawn Trilogy im guessing? Im really only interested in the main story characters so any other books that people can suggest would be apprectiated.