Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Star Wars Books

SilverBlink
03.14.2012 , 06:07 AM | #1
Where is a good place to start reading Star Wars books. I've never really bothered to read anything before but the lore interest me. I would like to start from the earliest time and go up from there.
Inalleon - 50 Darkness Assassin <Ascension Theory>
Mirage - 50 Medicine Operative <Ascension Theory>
Noellani - 50 Seer Sage <Heros for Hire>
Lunnamaria- 50 Mercenary <Ascension Theory>

PolishRifle
03.14.2012 , 06:22 AM | #2
I've read just about all of them, it depends on what era you enjoy most in the Star Wars Universe. The Lost Tribe of the Sith is a series of short stories you can get for your E-Reader and takes place during the first Sith/Jedi war and later gives context to a Story line that occurs 40 years after the events in the movies.
Revan, Deceived, and Fatal Alliance all directly tie into SWTOR. Revan is a segway between the KOTOR games a SWTOR and gives backround to the Jedi Prisoner Flashpoint and introduces Lord Scourge.
The timeline during the movies has some interesting collections of short stories. Tales of the Bounty Hunters has stories about each of the Bounty Hunters that searched for Han in Empire Strikes Back, Tales of Mos Eisley Cantina gives background stories on the Aliens you see in A New Hope when Luke enters the cantina.
Any book by Timothy Zahn is a great read, his Thrawn Trilogy was excellent and takes place after ROTJ

New Jedi Order is a very long series (22 books I think) and the 9 book Fate of the Jedi series both are good story lines well after the events in the movies. Book 9 of Fate of the Jedi came out yesterday.

A list of all fiction in chronological order.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_books

RabidPopcorn
03.16.2012 , 05:29 PM | #3
I've also never read any SW books (in fact, I rarely read books but anyway...), what would be the ONE book you would recommend a person like me? I like books that have a certain degree of closure at the end, so I don't have to buy the next book in the series.

Aximand
03.16.2012 , 05:30 PM | #4
Darth Plaguis novel. The end of that leads into Episode One so it has some closure.
I'm not mean, you're just a sissy.
The Orange Pixel is the REAL Sith Emperor
I don't need luck, I've got ammo - Urdnot Grunt
Remember 4/22/2011. A day that shall live in infamy.

RabidPopcorn
03.16.2012 , 05:43 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Aximand View Post
Darth Plaguis novel. The end of that leads into Episode One so it has some closure.
Thanks for the recommendation. Would reading this novel finally allow me to participate meaningfully in SW discussion, or would that require much more reading?

valin-krai
03.16.2012 , 07:18 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by RabidPopcorn View Post
Thanks for the recommendation. Would reading this novel finally allow me to participate meaningfully in SW discussion, or would that require much more reading?
I'd agree with Plageius for new EU readers, But it's only the beginning. The Zahn trilogy, Outbound Flight, Darth Bane trilogy are all great to go from there. Clone Wars is excellent if you haven't seen it (It gets better every season and Ahsoka develops very nicely. Republic Commando novels are good if you accept Traviss as writing them as pro-Mando propoganda. Young Jedi Knights was cool from what I remember.
If you have the patience to read all 9 books, Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi are interesting.
Allegience and Choices of one by Zahn are cool.
New Jedi Order is the 22 book series. Even I, who has read at least 100 Star Wars books hasn't read it all.
Kitster is the real hero of the Star Wars saga.

RabidPopcorn
03.16.2012 , 08:03 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by valin-krai View Post
I'd agree with Plageius for new EU readers, But it's only the beginning. The Zahn trilogy, Outbound Flight, Darth Bane trilogy are all great to go from there. Clone Wars is excellent if you haven't seen it (It gets better every season and Ahsoka develops very nicely. Republic Commando novels are good if you accept Traviss as writing them as pro-Mando propoganda. Young Jedi Knights was cool from what I remember.
If you have the patience to read all 9 books, Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi are interesting.
Allegience and Choices of one by Zahn are cool.
New Jedi Order is the 22 book series. Even I, who has read at least 100 Star Wars books hasn't read it all.
Dayum, that's a lot of books... I guess it'll depend on how much I like the Plageius novel; but thanks for the other recommendations.

jmdatcs
03.16.2012 , 09:19 PM | #8
The Thrawn trilogy.
The Thrawn trilogy!
The Thrawn trilogy!

Heir to the empire is the first. These are, in my opinion, easily the best SW books.

The Thrawn duo-logy is also good, but not as good.
Spoiler

Always check ratings. Lucas has been a little loose with the quality control over the years and there are some real turds out there.

I would avoid anything to do with the Yuuzhan Vong. I think this era in the EU containes a lot of the aforementioned turds. I also don't think it's really SW. SW is Jedi vs. Sith, empire vs. republic and the Vong are just some anti-tech religious zealots that don't fit in the SW universe.

Edit: A previous poster mentioned the Thrawn trilogy already. He listed it as the Zahn trilogy for the author, Timothy Zahn.
Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal. - Albert Camus
True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country. - Kurt Vonnegut

valin-krai
03.16.2012 , 10:56 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by RabidPopcorn View Post
Dayum, that's a lot of books... I guess it'll depend on how much I like the Plageius novel; but thanks for the other recommendations.
There are over 275 novels total, most that were release before Heir to the Empire are really bad and non-canon.
Kitster is the real hero of the Star Wars saga.

DarkSamink
03.16.2012 , 11:00 PM | #10
I liked the Revan book, I also loved jedi Apprentice which explains Qui-Gon's first Padawan and also when Obi-Wan became his padawan
Xavos - Level 50 Jedi Sentinel - Republic Operations
Xaios - Level 21 Sith Marauder - Spectres of War