Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Slicers: How do you feel about losing the ability to obtain Augments in 1.2?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Slicers: How do you feel about losing the ability to obtain Augments in 1.2?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Esproc's Avatar


Esproc
03.23.2012 , 05:24 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by Tuhalu View Post
My thought is that it that being able to procure augment parts that can be turned into exactly the augment that the crafter wants to make will increase the value of slicing as a trade skill. Considering that everyone will want some to go with their orange crafted gear, the value should be pretty damn high.
As posted, Slicers are the Mat Gatherers for the new Augments that will be made.
There should be more call for exacting materials for specific Augments to be made, rather than just relying on the hit or miss approach.
In this Age of Information, Ignorance is a Choice!

GeorgZoeller's Avatar


GeorgZoeller
03.23.2012 , 07:50 PM | #42 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Quote: Originally Posted by Avenir View Post
like a fair trade off if it happens the only way to get the materials will be through slicers. Now if they make the materials obtainable by other means then this will be another huge slap into the face to all Slicers.
No plans for that, don't worry.

Rhaphael's Avatar


Rhaphael
03.24.2012 , 12:27 AM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by Jerid View Post
Have you gotten any Aug Materials from World nodes? Or missions only?
Missions only. There are still the old Lockbox missions as well btw.

Osmedirez's Avatar


Osmedirez
03.24.2012 , 01:21 AM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by Battilea View Post
There's no RE'ing orange stuff for recipes. There's one set every 4 levels, from 11 to 47, plus one at 50. Most of these consist of 3 pieces, legs, head, chest, though the lowest few don't have the head piece.

But, yeah, it doesn't offer every look, like the 47 dropped agent armor isn't a look we can make. And there's just one color per set. No light grey imperial officer look, for example, just grey. But, with the match the chest option, for the sets that exist, you can still pick up the helm and legs.

Edit: I do think prices on orange stuff will be high initially, as people aren't really stockpiling low level mats to meet the initial demand. But once that passes, prices should start to drop.
Several things: devs have stated, look it up in the dev tracker, that most of the 'new recipes' in 1.2 are from R/E and that most of previous orange items are r/eable. It's my supposition, though I could be wrong, that items that can only be obtained by one class (ie - via rewards from heroics that are BoP, class quests, etc) will not be r/eable for their schematic, but all the drops from FPS, comm vendor items, random drops will be r/eable. As someone else pointed out, lots of items have exactly the same look, just a different name. Heck, on my operative I sometimes complete a heroic and have 3 options for an orange piece... 2 of which are identical in appearance but with different customs pieces inside.

I've been stockpiling all crafting mats since day one. Because A) cybertech for my guild means i need them all constantly, B) you never know when a game is brand new what will end up being in HUGE demand after a patch. ^_-

not a reply to this poster, but they've stated that crafters will be able to R/E the current in game augments after the patch.. which means that even the green/blue ones you get from current slicing missions will be in demand- to give recipes they can't get from trainers. early 1.2 credit grab, I'm in. (though probably after people buy their desired legacy items.. so going prices are probably going to be best 1-3 days after the patch (gives 50s time to build up some money after they zero out from the legacy buys)

Seront's Avatar


Seront
03.24.2012 , 09:00 AM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by Osmedirez View Post
Several things: devs have stated, look it up in the dev tracker, that most of the 'new recipes' in 1.2 are from R/E and that most of previous orange items are r/eable. It's my supposition, though I could be wrong, that items that can only be obtained by one class (ie - via rewards from heroics that are BoP, class quests, etc) will not be r/eable for their schematic, but all the drops from FPS, comm vendor items, random drops will be r/eable. As someone else pointed out, lots of items have exactly the same look, just a different name. Heck, on my operative I sometimes complete a heroic and have 3 options for an orange piece... 2 of which are identical in appearance but with different customs pieces inside.

I've been stockpiling all crafting mats since day one. Because A) cybertech for my guild means i need them all constantly, B) you never know when a game is brand new what will end up being in HUGE demand after a patch. ^_-

not a reply to this poster, but they've stated that crafters will be able to R/E the current in game augments after the patch.. which means that even the green/blue ones you get from current slicing missions will be in demand- to give recipes they can't get from trainers. early 1.2 credit grab, I'm in. (though probably after people buy their desired legacy items.. so going prices are probably going to be best 1-3 days after the patch (gives 50s time to build up some money after they zero out from the legacy buys)

That's not quite right. The augments are slightly different on PTS. A slicer on there said that he could not RE old ones. What you get from slicing missions are occasional green augment schematics. You learn them, and then create/RE like you would any other green schematic.

venomlash's Avatar


venomlash
03.24.2012 , 09:11 AM | #46
I like the change. I've got Armstech, Scavenging, and Slicing, so I'll be making lots of augments and sending Sliced Tech Parts out to Armormechs and Synthweavers in my guild.
I very rarely ran the augment missions before, since only the lvl 49 purple augs are really worth the trouble, and you only get those through mission items.
Quote: Originally Posted by MichelleArcher View Post
Hey there, all! This thread has passed the dreaded 1,000 post limit, and is now in fire. Thanks for the fun, but we feel this discussion as run its course. We will not be restarting this thread.
Jarrant Gartin, Gunnery Commando, Spark of Hope, Begeren Colony

djcreature's Avatar


djcreature
03.24.2012 , 09:51 AM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by Mephane View Post
You overestimate the amount of people that are actually going to get critted orange gear. The majority will stick to purple and orange mission rewards/drops/commendation rewards of which they like the look, and not bother finding someone charging them several millions for the same item in a critted version.

Everyone is talking about like all crafter are going to mass-produce critted orange gear and sell it for reasonable prices on the GTN. But it's critted and that means for each of those items they will make like a dozen non-critted ones, which will be in low demand but high supply and thus probably fairly affordable.

As long as there is no way to add an Augment slot to an already existing item, critted orange gear will be mostly for most harcore/rich/min-maxers. Then it all depends on how much of the slicing mats are required for a given augment - we might very well end up in a situation where by far the cheapest part is getting the actual augment.

One possible outcome is a situation where critted orange stuff is uber-expensive, as in several millions for the major slots, and for every critted item there might be a dozen or more augments available at any time, far more than in actual demand.
This is not true, I for one will severely undercut everyone with my gear I make. I'm like walmart for mmo players. Come to me for cheap prices. I make tons more cash than people that sell their wares for extreme prices. No clue why more people don't use this method.

zachbuford's Avatar


zachbuford
03.24.2012 , 10:04 AM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by djcreature View Post
This is not true, I for one will severely undercut everyone with my gear I make. I'm like walmart for mmo players. Come to me for cheap prices. I make tons more cash than people that sell their wares for extreme prices. No clue why more people don't use this method.
Normally competetive prices are ok, but i hate people that cut prices by like 30%-40%, it is a stupid choice for even the undercutter. Cutting is ok, but cutting to much mean you are losing money too...

djcreature's Avatar


djcreature
03.24.2012 , 01:33 PM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by zachbuford View Post
Normally competetive prices are ok, but i hate people that cut prices by like 30%-40%, it is a stupid choice for even the undercutter. Cutting is ok, but cutting to much mean you are losing money too...
But I'm not losing money by undercutting by the huge amount that I do. The mats didn't cost me near the amount I am charging so I make out like a bandit. 1 person might sell a piece of gear for a huge amount, where I'm selling 4-5. I have personally wrecked the markets for many many items on every game I play because I like to and have fun with it. Getting huge money for your mando iron? Let me know your server, I'll make it cheap for everyone.

Suepy's Avatar


Suepy
03.26.2012 , 01:11 AM | #50
I'm all for us having mats to sell rather than augments. We have no control over the augments we get and I usually end up with useless ones (a lvl 25 augment with +Presence? Really??). 9 times out of 10, I just vendor the augments. I've yet to get a purple augment, which seems like the only type that sells for a decent price on my server.