Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Slicers: How do you feel about losing the ability to obtain Augments in 1.2?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Slicers: How do you feel about losing the ability to obtain Augments in 1.2?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Avenir
03.14.2012 , 12:04 AM | #1
I just read that slicers will now provide the materials to allow sythweaving, armstech armormech to craft augments.

Augments were one of the few items that can sell for a pretty high amount that slicers can gather. Missions and schematics are hit or miss on the GTN.

So what are your thoughts on this change? On the surface it seems like a fair trade off if it happens the only way to get the materials will be through slicers. Now if they make the materials obtainable by other means then this will be another huge slap into the face to all Slicers.

Tuhalu
03.14.2012 , 12:44 AM | #2
My thought is that it that being able to procure augment parts that can be turned into exactly the augment that the crafter wants to make will increase the value of slicing as a trade skill. Considering that everyone will want some to go with their orange crafted gear, the value should be pretty damn high.

pokota
03.14.2012 , 01:05 AM | #3
It's interesting. I'm for it.

I never run the augment missions, anyway. I make tons off Slicing from mission unlocks. All the augments I've sold on the GTN for ridiculous amounts came from level 340 Slicing mission unlocks, and not augment missions.

I do hope they increase the discovery rate for Slicing missions, now, though.

Mephane
03.14.2012 , 01:33 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Tuhalu View Post
My thought is that it that being able to procure augment parts that can be turned into exactly the augment that the crafter wants to make will increase the value of slicing as a trade skill. Considering that everyone will want some to go with their orange crafted gear, the value should be pretty damn high.
You overestimate the amount of people that are actually going to get critted orange gear. The majority will stick to purple and orange mission rewards/drops/commendation rewards of which they like the look, and not bother finding someone charging them several millions for the same item in a critted version.

Everyone is talking about like all crafter are going to mass-produce critted orange gear and sell it for reasonable prices on the GTN. But it's critted and that means for each of those items they will make like a dozen non-critted ones, which will be in low demand but high supply and thus probably fairly affordable.

As long as there is no way to add an Augment slot to an already existing item, critted orange gear will be mostly for most harcore/rich/min-maxers. Then it all depends on how much of the slicing mats are required for a given augment - we might very well end up in a situation where by far the cheapest part is getting the actual augment.

One possible outcome is a situation where critted orange stuff is uber-expensive, as in several millions for the major slots, and for every critted item there might be a dozen or more augments available at any time, far more than in actual demand.
Ceterum censeo chat bubbles addenda et party bomb reddendum esse.
---
The Alot is Better Than You at Everything

Battilea
03.14.2012 , 01:43 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Mephane View Post
One possible outcome is a situation where critted orange stuff is uber-expensive, as in several millions for the major slots, and for every critted item there might be a dozen or more augments available at any time, far more than in actual demand.
I doubt the critted orange stuff will be uber expensive, if we can crit on all the existing recipes. Look at the cost of implants and earrings, for example. Those take something that'll be harder to get than the mats for orange gear, yet can be had on most servers for 200k or less. And they take effort to learn the right recipes as well, while orange stuff you can just buy off the exchange.

The ones that will be most expensive are the ones that also happen to be looks people want. Hooligan's medium armor, for example. Critted versions of an Imperial Officer look? Yeah, that'll sell. But others, they'll be plenty.

robotnic
03.14.2012 , 01:56 AM | #6
Honestly it's fine since there will be augment crafting anyways and they also said that mission discoveries will no longer fail. Looks like synth will make augments for jedi classes and armormech will make for trooper/smuggler.

Mephane
03.14.2012 , 01:58 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Battilea View Post
I doubt the critted orange stuff will be uber expensive, if we can crit on all the existing recipes. Look at the cost of implants and earrings, for example. Those take something that'll be harder to get than the mats for orange gear, yet can be had on most servers for 200k or less. And they take effort to learn the right recipes as well, while orange stuff you can just buy off the exchange.

The ones that will be most expensive are the ones that also happen to be looks people want. Hooligan's medium armor, for example. Critted versions of an Imperial Officer look? Yeah, that'll sell. But others, they'll be plenty.
Well I hope you are are right, but for the time being I will stay away from that market. I already have the look that I want, they're mostly mission rewards and I am not even sure if there is sufficient possibility to reverse-engineer these into recipes. Like, my main's pants came from a class quest. So someone would have to reverse-engineer this very class quest reward (and the quest offered at least two different-looking pants plus some other stuff) and then go on and craft it again and again and sell critted versions of it instead of just making single one for themselves and be done with it. Particularly if they like the look of it, they're probably not even going to destroy it for the chance at a recipe...
Ceterum censeo chat bubbles addenda et party bomb reddendum esse.
---
The Alot is Better Than You at Everything

Tuhalu
03.14.2012 , 02:04 AM | #8
Well I hope you are are right, but for the time being I will stay away from that market. I already have the look that I want, they're mostly mission rewards and I am not even sure if there is sufficient possibility to reverse-engineer these into recipes. Like, my main's pants came from a class quest. So someone would have to reverse-engineer this very class quest reward (and the quest offered at least two different-looking pants plus some other stuff) and then go on and craft it again and again and sell critted versions of it instead of just making single one for themselves and be done with it. Particularly if they like the look of it, they're probably not even going to destroy it for the chance at a recipe...
A number of the current orange items are just recolors of certain quest rewards. With the increase in orange craftables, there is a good chance that exactly what you are wearing will be in purchasable recipes (maybe a different color scheme).

Battilea
03.14.2012 , 03:13 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Tuhalu View Post
A number of the current orange items are just recolors of certain quest rewards. With the increase in orange craftables, there is a good chance that exactly what you are wearing will be in purchasable recipes (maybe a different color scheme).
And some of them aren't eve recolors. Mercenary heavy armor, for example, is the exact same look and color scheme as the merc BH set from Taris.

Battilea
03.14.2012 , 03:16 AM | #10
There's no RE'ing orange stuff for recipes. There's one set every 4 levels, from 11 to 47, plus one at 50. Most of these consist of 3 pieces, legs, head, chest, though the lowest few don't have the head piece.

But, yeah, it doesn't offer every look, like the 47 dropped agent armor isn't a look we can make. And there's just one color per set. No light grey imperial officer look, for example, just grey. But, with the match the chest option, for the sets that exist, you can still pick up the helm and legs.

Edit: I do think prices on orange stuff will be high initially, as people aren't really stockpiling low level mats to meet the initial demand. But once that passes, prices should start to drop.