Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Security key....worth it?


Clayburn's Avatar


Clayburn
12.16.2011 , 01:06 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Melcene View Post
The vendor aside, coming from a online-safety-anal person who had a non-authenticator account for years on that other game, then getting hacked in 2009, I'm a believer in authenticators.
Maybe you played on a wifi.

Dasffion's Avatar


Dasffion
12.16.2011 , 01:08 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Clayburn View Post
Maybe you played on a wifi.
This has nothing to do with anything. All it takes is going to one wrong site, and sometimes legitimate sites with bad ads, and you have a keylogger on your computer. Now they know your log in and your password. This is where the authenticator comes in. Since it's a continually changing code there's no way for them to know what it is from you typing it in.

VanorDM's Avatar


VanorDM
12.16.2011 , 01:11 PM | #13
I don't think the stuff at the security vendor is worth it, if that's the only reason you'd get the key. The reason to get a key is to keep your account safe, the vendor is a little bonus.

split_light's Avatar


split_light
12.16.2011 , 01:13 PM | #14
From personal experience I can tell you getting hacked is a major pain. The key is worth it. If you don't want to pay, wait for the smartphone app. They're usually free.

Clayburn's Avatar


Clayburn
12.16.2011 , 01:15 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
This has nothing to do with anything. All it takes is going to one wrong site, and sometimes legitimate sites with bad ads, and you have a keylogger on your computer. Now they know your log in and your password. This is where the authenticator comes in. Since it's a continually changing code there's no way for them to know what it is from you typing it in.
First, don't enter your password on other sites.

Second, don't have a keylogger on your computer.

Dasffion's Avatar


Dasffion
12.16.2011 , 01:20 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Clayburn View Post
First, don't enter your password on other sites.

Second, don't have a keylogger on your computer.
lol Do you even know what a keylogger is or how they get on your system? You say it like it's an easy thing to do. Which it can be if you're very careful about the sites you go to and keeping you virus software as up to date as possible. That can be even more of a hassle than entering a code when you log in though.

Clayburn's Avatar


Clayburn
12.16.2011 , 01:31 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
lol Do you even know what a keylogger is or how they get on your system? You say it like it's an easy thing to do. Which it can be if you're very careful about the sites you go to and keeping you virus software as up to date as possible. That can be even more of a hassle than entering a code when you log in though.
If you're unaware of what's being installed on your computer, then you're doing it wrong. I don't have a keylogger on my system because I choose not to install malware.

Dasffion's Avatar


Dasffion
12.16.2011 , 01:33 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Clayburn View Post
If you're unaware of what's being installed on your computer, then you're doing it wrong. I don't have a keylogger on my system because I choose not to install malware.
If you think that stuff is only installed on your computer that you know of you're crazy. No one "chooses" to install a keylogger. Have fun getting hacked though.