Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SOA 8man HM/Nm

DarthBloodloss
03.14.2012 , 02:53 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Scrubtastic View Post
Try NM mode and see if you'll say the same thing. Sure double or even triple tick in HM isn't much 10-15k hp, but when it's 20k hp for two ticks in NM it's not so easy is it. And yes it almost always happens no matter what you do.

My guess is you're still running normal and maybe HM where the dmg is easy to heal through even with the double tick.
You are bad at guessing. We do 16m HM and 8m NMM. Who "heals through" that damage? You soak it and move on.

And yes for me its easy. Full Rakata, I dont remember the last time I died to a ball lightning. Nice try tho.
Bloodloss Mercenary
DESTROYER OF WORLDS || KEEPER OF SOULS

Inzi
03.14.2012 , 02:53 PM | #22
Try NM mode and see if you'll say the same thing. Sure double or even triple tick in HM isn't much 10-15k hp, but when it's 20k hp for two ticks in NM it's not so easy is it. And yes it almost always happens no matter what you do.

My guess is you're still running normal and maybe HM where the dmg is easy to heal through even with the double tick.
I take 1 tick of dmg. On Nightmare. ONE time about a month and a half ago, just after KP was released, I took a double explosion from a ball and died. I have been doing a nightmare & normal Soa every week for over two months now. If you are having problems, you're probably doing something wrong.

Sorcs are a little squishy and don't have a dmg reduction cooldown like some other squishy classes have. What I recommend and what I do is:
1) Bubble any squishies who are going to take a ball.
2) Put a resurgence (sorc/sage hot) on any squishies. What this does is add 10% armor = less dmg taken.

No real need to be rude here. Especially when you're wrong.

Edit: Going back to the OP's post, it seems like they were stacking and eating the ball explosion based on the healing tactics described. i.e. "90% of the raid's health" Moving away from that strat is going to be the first step toward success here. If I was wrong in my understanding, then utilizing cooldowns and having good raid awareness will help tremendously.
A home for busy adults seeking high level PvE in a respectful, mature atmosphere.
Ferne R'y | Sage

Seanimus
03.14.2012 , 04:00 PM | #23
it doesn't add 10% armor, it increases their current armor rating 10%, which for me equates to 2% damage reduction

if you want a legit 10% dmg reduction, pop an armor adrenal before eating your ball !

Scrubtastic
03.14.2012 , 04:05 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Inzi View Post
I take 1 tick of dmg. On Nightmare. ONE time about a month and a half ago, just after KP was released, I took a double explosion from a ball and died. I have been doing a nightmare & normal Soa every week for over two months now. If you are having problems, you're probably doing something wrong.

Sorcs are a little squishy and don't have a dmg reduction cooldown like some other squishy classes have. What I recommend and what I do is:
1) Bubble any squishies who are going to take a ball.
2) Put a resurgence (sorc/sage hot) on any squishies. What this does is add 10% armor = less dmg taken.

No real need to be rude here. Especially when you're wrong.

Edit: Going back to the OP's post, it seems like they were stacking and eating the ball explosion based on the healing tactics described. i.e. "90% of the raid's health" Moving away from that strat is going to be the first step toward success here. If I was wrong in my understanding, then utilizing cooldowns and having good raid awareness will help tremendously.
Care to explain why some people are taking 20k dmg in NM then? We have no problem with Soa NM, but when people say if you're taking more than 1 tick you're doing it wrong is just stupid. Like I said, the few rare occasions I take only 1 tick of dmg when I take the ball and stop in the middle. This happens about 1 out of every 5-10 balls. Running through the ball is always two ticks dealing 20k dmg which I have to heal through.

Nice pro tips there, I'm sure all the healers who are doing NM didn't know to use those.
The dozen of other Soa bugs must be because we're doing it wrong as well right?

elvavwiel
03.14.2012 , 05:19 PM | #25
People that claim they only take 1 hit actually take 2 hits. Rarely I grab a ball on nightmare and only lose 40% of my health (it happens), thats the normal '1 tick' from the explosion that you should be taking from what i can tell. Usually you take 2hits, which brings a shielded target that doesnt have reduction (sages <<) down to about 10% or a bit less. And today (while we got our infernal title) i had 2 balls and our tank 1 ball that hit 3 times and just killed us.

Its a luck of the draw to be honest, however i'd advice to have atleast everyone with 17k hp or more when shielded, our gunslinger who (despite getting ludicrously lucky on all the drops) has 'only' 17k and when he takes a ball when shielded (non boosted shield though), he's pretty much left with 1 or 2 pixels of health.
Isra ~ 55 Sage: Jack of all trades, master of none.

Inzi
03.14.2012 , 05:20 PM | #26
Care to explain why some people are taking 20k dmg in NM then? We have no problem with Soa NM, but when people say if you're taking more than 1 tick you're doing it wrong is just stupid. Like I said, the few rare occasions I take only 1 tick of dmg when I take the ball and stop in the middle. This happens about 1 out of every 5-10 balls. Running through the ball is always two ticks dealing 20k dmg which I have to heal through.

Nice pro tips there, I'm sure all the healers who are doing NM didn't know to use those.
The dozen of other Soa bugs must be because we're doing it wrong as well right?
There's a thread burried in here somewhere with a list of "bugs." I responded with how to deal with each of them in that thread. Here's the deal. There is a BUG where every once in a while you will take double damage as if the ball exploded twice on you. This happened to me ONCE since the game released. Nobody in my 16 man nightmare run EVERY WEEK has the problem you're describing and haven't in the past 2 months. Therefore, it stands to reason, that we're doing something differently than you are.

Here is how to pop balls. Forgive me if the steps seem obvious, but clearly you're having problems:

1) Be on NOT the East side of the map. The balls will spawn on the East. When they do, look at the raid warning. Is your name there? If yes, proceed to step 2.
2) Go to the outer ring of the platform to the north or south. This will prevent the ball from traveling through melee. Balls through melee is bad. By this time, you should hopefully be able to tell which of the 2 balls is yours. If you can, go to step 4. If you can't, go to step 3.
3) Move away from the other ball target in such a way as you're not kiting the ball over a "bad area"--mind trap or melee range. Move until you are 100% sure the ball is yours. If you're unsure, TARGET it, press Alt+T. If you are now targeting yourself, it is safe to move to step 4.
4) If you are a healer, do all you can to prevent dmg and/or immediately heal dmg. This includes but is not limited to hots, shields, cooldowns, adrenals, having a medpac button ready, etc. If you are a dps, make sure your healers have prepped you. If they haven't, call out for it. Once you are prepared, proceed to step 5.
NOTE: Throughout steps 1-4 you should never be closer than 15m away from the ball.
5) Run straight at the ball and through it. Note that it should be near the edge of the platform, away from other players, and nowhere near a "bad area."
6) Heal up.

At MAXIMUM, you will take 17k dmg from this on nightmare~12k explosion + 5k tick. This is why a shield from a sage/sorc and/or a personal cooldown helps considerably. If you are dying because of these two hits, you are not preparing yourself as explained in step 4.

I understand that most guilds working on this don't need things broken down so much for them and that this is all fairly straightforward. I also understand that being told you're "doing it wrong" can cause some people to feel butthurt. But really, it IS that simple and if you are dying, it's likely not the bug that happens maybe 1% of the time.
A home for busy adults seeking high level PvE in a respectful, mature atmosphere.
Ferne R'y | Sage

TheRiddick
03.14.2012 , 05:48 PM | #27
1) Be on NOT the East side of the map. The balls will spawn on the East. When they do, look at the raid warning. Is your name there? If yes, proceed to step 2.

Are you sure of this??? cause I am pretty sure i have seen them spawn at multiple locations on the map.
Boeyoury: LvL 50 Juggernaut Tank Teesa: LvL 50 Shadow Tank
Tiancum: LvL 50 Merc Healer Döc-Höliday: LvL ?? Trooper Healer
Åpollo: LvL 50 Sniper DpS Abinadi: LvL 50 Sentinal DpS

Inzi
03.14.2012 , 05:52 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by TheRiddick View Post

Are you sure of this??? cause I am pretty sure i have seen them spawn at multiple locations on the map.
In phase 2 they only spawn between NE and SE. They never spawn on the west side of the room. You are safe on the whole western half of the room. In phase 3, they spawn at all directions, so the safest spot to be is in the middle. If you get targetted in p3, you should move out of the center to the edge where there aren't balls.
Ferne R'y | Sage

DarthBloodloss
03.14.2012 , 06:06 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by TheRiddick View Post

A vast majority of the time they spawn on the east side. One time last week, one of them spawned somewhere to the right of the raid group.

I know this happened because I DPS fairly close to Soa and when my ball spawned, I ran to the far right side. I was searching for my ball and I noticed it coming from the group's general direction, but farther to their right.

The ball came at me from an angle which I had never seen before and I actually dragged it through another player because there was nothing I could do to change its direction at that point. Just a one time thing, but was very weird.

---

Another random bug that I saw last weekend....3 ball phases in a row, someone elses ball came straight for the group and when we split up to move, the ball came right for me and I was able to pop it. I knew it wasn't mine so I was watching for this to happen again, and I moved away from the group to DPS. Sure enough during the next 2 ball phases, a random person's ball came specifically for me even though my name wasn't listed. This didn't really cause a problem but was definitely a bug. It was a one time thing.
Bloodloss Mercenary
DESTROYER OF WORLDS || KEEPER OF SOULS

Inzi
03.14.2012 , 06:09 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthBloodloss View Post
Another random bug that I saw last weekend....3 ball phases in a row, someone elses ball came straight for the group and when we split up to move, the ball came right for me and I was able to pop it. I knew it wasn't mine so I was watching for this to happen again, and I moved away from the group to DPS. Sure enough during the next 2 ball phases, a random person's ball came specifically for me even though my name wasn't listed. This didn't really cause a problem but was definitely a bug. It was a one time thing.
The swapping of targets can happen under two circumstances:
1) The person the ball was destined for died.
2) The person the ball was destined for vanished.

In both of those cases, the ball chooses a new target and it is NOT announced. Is it possible that either of these happened with your stray balls?
Ferne R'y | Sage