Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Solo instances

Jarwan
03.13.2012 , 08:56 AM | #1
I'd really like to see at the least, a single HM solo flashpoint that drops nothing more than a single Columi commendation from the final boss. My character currently resides in Hex Droid and I find that server population almost non existent. Groups are extremely rare to come by. I know that some of you will suggest a server transfer which I will not do as all my friends are in Hex Droid and with RL pressures, they rarely come online.

I think Group flashpoints are great as it provides a sociable environment and promotes team work. I also liked the solo instances from the mmo Aion as they were fun to play and made you play your character's abilities to the full extent. I'm only asking for a single solo HM instance in the same vein as the other flashpoints but it only drops nothing more than a single Columi commendation from the final boss. With a solo instance, it would appeal to casual gamers who may just log in to do a Hard Mode FP but don't have the time to look for or can't find a group.

Would it be possible to even convert one of the current FP into a solo instance? The Esseles for example would be a good solo run that is about as hard as a Heroic+2. I know that you may scream at me and tell me to do Heroics instead but they aren't really FP and they really don't drop PvE tier gear as good as Tionese, Columi and Rakata. A single daily solo FP with your companion that drops just a columi commendation which will make it worth while for me.

I'd much appreciate it if others can expand and further discuss this subject.

Iwipe
03.13.2012 , 09:23 AM | #2
I feel your pain about low pop servers.

I think solo dungeons would actually be a good idea for casuals. Rift has something like it but what they did was taking the raid dungeons itself and converted it into a solo dungeon with bosses being some of the more iconic raid bosses.

I thought that was kind of a terrible idea to copy a raid/operation dungeon though - you will get bored of it fast if you are running that daily + operations.

The incentives Rift had for raiders to do these solo dungeons was raid consumables, crafting mats, AA xp, and junk to sell to vendor. The drop rate on the raid consumables was quickly nerfed so I didn't really go there except to farm AAxp.

Whytey
03.13.2012 , 09:40 AM | #3
Aion did this and they were very fun to do.

Technically though when you enter a story area that is considered a solo instance, but they are usually fairly short and doesnt quite have the same feel as a dungeon.

I suppose it would be nice though to have some dungeons for solo players.
Activate Troll shield and fireproof trousers. Theres always 1...and theres ALWAYS MORE!!

If you can sense a Sith, hes probably nearby...If you cannot sense a Sith hes probably already stabbed you...

Jarwan
03.13.2012 , 09:53 AM | #4
Aion is where I got my idea from. The Aion solo instance also had you pick up an AI companion that assisted you which this game already has a companion system in hand. The drops weren't that great just like Rift as the other poster mentioned. It did however give those of us who rarely find groups something to do.

It's true story instances are solo areas however they are not repeatable and once you do them then that's that.
Solo Flashpoint Suggestion - Please join

http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...56#post3393556

Agthomson
03.13.2012 , 09:58 AM | #5
Back in my SWG days the two main "flashpoints" (pre-combat revamp) were both soloable (Acklay and the Corvette) although only one was instanced. They were a lot of fun, and a real test for your character and it's abilities.

I would like this, but I certainly wouldn't do it, assuming it'd take around an hour, for a single Columi commendation. Tionese gear, with the chance of dropping the non-set gear, and possibly a single columi piece from the last boss?

arnepvoice
03.13.2012 , 10:00 AM | #6
This sounds like a great idea. Not only would it be fun to discover how to use end game specs in solo content, but it would also be a chance to do something that furthers your end-game character along without having to group up. I'm not a fan of daily quests. Something about the mentality of a lot of minorly rewarding quests doesn't appeal to me. But if there were a solo flashpoint that gave you rewards equal to maybe doing an hour of dailies, I would be much more behind it.

Ewgal
03.13.2012 , 10:14 AM | #7
i sort of agree. A single player flashpoint or two might be very good for players on low population servers or for players who have restricted off peak playing times.
May the farce be with you

Thebigkabooa
03.13.2012 , 10:27 AM | #8
I'd argue if there were a solo instance, the reward should be a Bag that gave a select amount of commendations and a chance at one of the following tokens

Belt
Earpiece
Relic

Alternatively, you could make the solo instance without a lock out, having it reward the single commendation, but with daily / weekly quests surrounding it that provide greater rewards.

SvnStrSlm
03.13.2012 , 10:47 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Jarwan View Post
I'd really like to see at the least, a single HM solo flashpoint that drops nothing more than a single Columi commendation from the final boss. My character currently resides in Hex Droid and I find that server population almost non existent. Groups are extremely rare to come by. I know that some of you will suggest a server transfer which I will not do as all my friends are in Hex Droid and with RL pressures, they rarely come online.

I think Group flashpoints are great as it provides a sociable environment and promotes team work. I also liked the solo instances from the mmo Aion as they were fun to play and made you play your character's abilities to the full extent. I'm only asking for a single solo HM instance in the same vein as the other flashpoints but it only drops nothing more than a single Columi commendation from the final boss. With a solo instance, it would appeal to casual gamers who may just log in to do a Hard Mode FP but don't have the time to look for or can't find a group.

Would it be possible to even convert one of the current FP into a solo instance? The Esseles for example would be a good solo run that is about as hard as a Heroic+2. I know that you may scream at me and tell me to do Heroics instead but they aren't really FP and they really don't drop PvE tier gear as good as Tionese, Columi and Rakata. A single daily solo FP with your companion that drops just a columi commendation which will make it worth while for me.

I'd much appreciate it if others can expand and further discuss this subject.
I don't like the idea of solo end game gear, not including end game epic weapons, but i do think duo mode "missions" would be a welcome addition to get some base end game pve gear. THe best gear should always be from raid content that requires coordination of a larger group of people. other then that you might as well wait for diablo 3 to come out.

KA_Observer
03.13.2012 , 10:49 AM | #10
They could just scale the difficulty based upon the party count sorta like I've seen in City of Heroes/Villians.