Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Augmentation Slots 1.2 ?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Augmentation Slots 1.2 ?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

navido
03.15.2012 , 09:36 AM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Sharky View Post
Being able to make "augmenter's" would make crit-crafting orange items worthless, unless the chance to crit was quite high. In the long run just making augmenter's would be cheaper, meaning people wouldn't really bother making orange items or searching for schematics, making the crew skill mostly worthless.

Only having the Augment slot on crit craft orange gear makes top tier PvP and PvE gear worthless as now to be BiS you need the Augment slot. So while yes they allow you "more choice" you really don't as you MUST have a crit crafted set.
Brander 50 Scoundrel - Kellers Void
Alexasta 37 Sage - Kellers Void
Wynterr Sentinel (Terrorizing lowbies near you) - Kellers Void

Darth_Sharky
03.15.2012 , 09:42 AM | #42
But my second idea would get around that. You craft the orange item and if you crit you get an augment slot that isn't attached to the item, meaning people can just attach the slot to any item they like and crafters would use more of the crew skill.

DarthDegwerks
03.15.2012 , 10:38 AM | #43
For the most part I am anxious to see how you fixed Armstech in 1.2. What I know so far is that we WILL be able to finally RE vibroknives, which has been a sore spot with me and prevented me from making lots of cash. Also Armstech will be able to make Augments as well.

However Armstech has very few Orange items compared to Synth/Armormechs/Cybertechs.

There does need to be a way for Crafters like myself to be able to put an augment in a NON-Crafted piece of Orange gear. I myself have a wonderful Orange Sniper Rifle I got from a flashpoint that actually LOOKS like a Sniper Rifle. I would love to be able to use it again.

I think being able to let Crafters go back and Retro-Fit an augment in a NON-CRAFTED piece of Orange gear would be awesome. It must be restricted to Non Crafted items though. It also should have a further restriction to items from Drops and not mission rewards. If it isn't restricted in this manner then there will be crafters adding augments to anything they make that wasn't Crit-Crafted, making the items so common and devaluing the whole process.

Ways it can be done is creating a Money Sink by way of having the Crafters pay to learn a new skill from their trainers every so many skill levels, called Retro-Fitting. I'd say make about 3x the cost of training schematics for that level.

Also don't have it as a consumable! Make it so the Crafter and the person wanting it done meet at a Crafting Station in a group. Put a fixed price on it that the person pays into the Crafting Station and the Crafter himself gets all or some of that credit transaction. This will keep the Jackwagons from price gouging for tips in a trade window like that other game.

Or you could just do it through a trade window or whatever. It is a MMO so we should have some interaction between the Crafter and his customer base!

Furthermore you should also have the Crafters need a kit of some kind to do this. One that is purchased from a Crew Skills Vendor.

GeorgZoeller
03.15.2012 , 10:49 AM | #44 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Quote: Originally Posted by navido View Post
Only having the Augment slot on crit craft orange gear makes top tier PvP and PvE gear worthless as now to be BiS you need the Augment slot. So while yes they allow you "more choice" you really don't as you MUST have a crit crafted set.
Worthless implies it has no value, which is not the case. You NEED to obtain top tier PvP or PvE gear either way - an empty orange shell with an augment slot isn't of much value if you don't have the mods to go with it (and the set bonus on those top tier armorings).

It's true that there is now a step beyond the top tier gear you are used to, but what kind of orange shell you acquire is up to you. We've unlocked a large number of appearances for the system...

Danakar
03.15.2012 , 12:21 PM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by GeorgZoeller View Post
You will not be able to retrofit existing items with augment slots, but this is something we're discussing internally as 'we probably want to add this', so any of your feedback is worthwhile to us. If/when we offer that option, it will be added in a way that does not devalue the crafter community.
At least it is good to hear you are discussing this as something you'd like to add.

I have mentioned this in the past, and I believe that you guys should add something like this:

Augmentation Device
Consumable
This device can be used to craft a single Augment slot onto an item. Consumed on use.

This in response to the upcoming changes where crit-crafted custom items would gain an Augment slot. While this is great, it would again shoe-horn people into a very limited selection of looks if they want to have 'best in slot' items for endgame and not only completely devalue their carefully amassed pieces of gear in order to look unique; but also every piece of custom gear that can be obtained through drops and from specialty/commendation vendors, as well as the new and upcoming endgame PvE/PvP gear.

Just when BioWare wanted to open up the Armoring slots and such so people could place them into their favorite gear; they again fall back to the same limitations and create the same problem of the 'clone syndrome' all over again.

The Augmentation Device could be created by certain Crew Skills (making these Crew Skills more worthwhile to get), works as a consumable and would apply a single augment slot to a piece of armor by the person that uses it.

With just this small change you not only increase the relevance of Augments by 100%, but it also provides the means for other people to put Augment slots onto their existing gear that has no augment (which is every single item dropped by random mobs and endgame gear). Lastly, it would level the field for everyone and allow people to craft Augment slots onto their favorite gear (my Jedi Battlelord set comes to mind for me personally).

The Augmentation Device would instantly increase the revenue of Augments and accompanying Crew Skills that can obtain/craft Augments and the Crew Skill(s) that could craft Augmentation Devices and allow for everyone to look how they want to look without being forced to look like a clone (again).

Also, the Augmentation Device would not diminish the overall value of crit-crafted Custom gear as people could still choose between buying the higher priced crit-crafted item or their regular counterpart (often made by the same person) and buy a separate Augmentation Device to achieve the same result.

Lastly, the mechanics for such a device are already in place as people responded that a similar item was already in Beta, but removed when the game went Live.

• And before the Synthweavers/Armormechs come along complaining that it would still diminish their precious and rare crit-crafted items; ask yourself this: What do you do with all those regular crafted items you made before you got lucky and crit-crafted one?
  • So instead of asking, say, 250k for a crit-crafted piece but seeing no sales at all for your (wasted) 50k regular versions that nobody cares about; with Augmentation Device consumables you could sell both the regular versions at 50k and the crit-crafted versions at 75k (imaginary values just for the sake of comparison); resulting into a better overall net yield by being able to sell both your regular items and the crit-crafted ones.
  • I know you're now going to tell me that it would be unfair regarding the number of custom gear that can drop in Flashpoints/mobs or purchased from Specialty/Commendation vendors; which would make you 'miss out' on potential customers. Not so when you can also make an Augmentation Device. That way people can be allowed the choice of purchasing new gear with an augment slot (crafted by you), or retrofit existing gear with an Augmentation Device (also crafted by you).

Danakar <Legacy name taken> - retired Jedi Knight
The Fifth Order (fell to pieces after the merge)
|||||||||||||()█╣ Subscription cancelled, thanks BW/EA

thewatcheruatu
03.15.2012 , 12:55 PM | #46
It's times like this that I'm glad I'm not a hardcore player, because I'll just continue to wear my matching, un-augmented sets in relative happiness. I don't expect to ever have gear that remotely matches what the most serious players wear, anyway, so...whatever.

That said, I'm somewhere in the camp of people who think augments slots should be addable to existing items. Maybe certain crits on Slicing missions could produce consumables that could be combined with armor pieces to give them augment slots. Seems a pretty simple solution, and it's something I'd really rather see sooner than later.
Hapan Delegation

thewatcheruatu
03.15.2012 , 01:01 PM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Sharky View Post
Being able to make "augmenter's" would make crit-crafting orange items worthless, unless the chance to crit was quite high. In the long run just making augmenter's would be cheaper, meaning people wouldn't really bother making orange items or searching for schematics, making the crew skill mostly worthless.
Not sure what you're on about. All of my characters and a bunch of my companions are wearing orange crafted armor. I wear them for the look. Not everybody thinks that the level 50 shoulder-spikes-of-doom sets are the best looking gear in the game.

Hell, simply swapping in new pieces probably would have been a lot easier, to be honest. Wearing a full orange set is hard work throughout the leveling process.
Hapan Delegation

Kapono
03.15.2012 , 01:12 PM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by Mephane View Post
Why would this be needed? If there is a craftable, consumable "augmenter" item, it works out like this:

10: craft orange item
20: if crit goto 50
30: craft augmenter
40: use augmenter on item
50: profit!

This is, ideally, how I think it would be best. A crit craft of an orange item yields an orange with an augment slot. Allow the object/device that can make an item augmented to itself be crafted, or better yet, the result of a "crit" Slicing mission, perhaps max level. Thus, you keep those who have storage holds full of cool looking orange gear happy (like myself), crafters happy (because they can occasionally have the extra bonus of creating items that don't need the augmentation creation object, and can mark up their goods appropriately), the Slicers happy (because they can occasionally find the augmentation adding object) and can sell it. Prices will be regulated by two things: the rarity of the crit craft, and the rarity of the augmentation kit find.

Sorry for the run-on sentence.

MrIrrelevant
03.15.2012 , 02:03 PM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by Danakar View Post
At least it is good to hear you are discussing this as something you'd like to add.

I have mentioned this in the past, and I believe that you guys should add something like this:

Augmentation Device
Consumable
This device can be used to craft a single Augment slot onto an item. Consumed on use.

This in response to the upcoming changes where crit-crafted custom items would gain an Augment slot. While this is great, it would again shoe-horn people into a very limited selection of looks if they want to have 'best in slot' items for endgame and not only completely devalue their carefully amassed pieces of gear in order to look unique; but also every piece of custom gear that can be obtained through drops and from specialty/commendation vendors, as well as the new and upcoming endgame PvE/PvP gear.

Just when BioWare wanted to open up the Armoring slots and such so people could place them into their favorite gear; they again fall back to the same limitations and create the same problem of the 'clone syndrome' all over again.

The Augmentation Device could be created by certain Crew Skills (making these Crew Skills more worthwhile to get), works as a consumable and would apply a single augment slot to a piece of armor by the person that uses it.

With just this small change you not only increase the relevance of Augments by 100%, but it also provides the means for other people to put Augment slots onto their existing gear that has no augment (which is every single item dropped by random mobs and endgame gear). Lastly, it would level the field for everyone and allow people to craft Augment slots onto their favorite gear (my Jedi Battlelord set comes to mind for me personally).

The Augmentation Device would instantly increase the revenue of Augments and accompanying Crew Skills that can obtain/craft Augments and the Crew Skill(s) that could craft Augmentation Devices and allow for everyone to look how they want to look without being forced to look like a clone (again).

Also, the Augmentation Device would not diminish the overall value of crit-crafted Custom gear as people could still choose between buying the higher priced crit-crafted item or their regular counterpart (often made by the same person) and buy a separate Augmentation Device to achieve the same result.

Lastly, the mechanics for such a device are already in place as people responded that a similar item was already in Beta, but removed when the game went Live.

• And before the Synthweavers/Armormechs come along complaining that it would still diminish their precious and rare crit-crafted items; ask yourself this: What do you do with all those regular crafted items you made before you got lucky and crit-crafted one?
  • So instead of asking, say, 250k for a crit-crafted piece but seeing no sales at all for your (wasted) 50k regular versions that nobody cares about; with Augmentation Device consumables you could sell both the regular versions at 50k and the crit-crafted versions at 75k (imaginary values just for the sake of comparison); resulting into a better overall net yield by being able to sell both your regular items and the crit-crafted ones.
  • I know you're now going to tell me that it would be unfair regarding the number of custom gear that can drop in Flashpoints/mobs or purchased from Specialty/Commendation vendors; which would make you 'miss out' on potential customers. Not so when you can also make an Augmentation Device. That way people can be allowed the choice of purchasing new gear with an augment slot (crafted by you), or retrofit existing gear with an Augmentation Device (also crafted by you).

This was pretty much exactly what I was going to post. You can't add a vendor to add augment slot to existing, but almost every player I know is hoarding orange gear for looks, some have them modded a bit. It would be absolutley brutal to have to hunt down all these sets again. And what would you do about oranges that drop from epic boxes?

The best solution is for crafters to make an augment consumable type item that you can use to augment existing gear. Think this absolutely need to get implemented as asap after 1.2

Zocat
03.15.2012 , 02:36 PM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by MrIrrelevant View Post
This was pretty much exactly what I was going to post. You can't add a vendor to add augment slot to existing, but almost every player I know is hoarding orange gear for looks, some have them modded a bit. It would be absolutley brutal to have to hunt down all these sets again. And what would you do about oranges that drop from epic boxes?
I'm basically in the situation you describe. I have some orange items waiting to be used when 1.2 hits. I dont care about remodding everything.
I would be fine with buying those items again from crafters.

But how do crafters learn the recipes for those items?
One set is the Jedi Battlelord, which - to my knowledge - is a random world drop. What about the orange social gear? Normal quest rewards?

Just making it possible that the existing orange craftbales can crit is simply not enough. We're then in the same situation as today (1-2 sets to wear, everyone looks the same).

We need an "easy" way to get the schemantics for the rarer orange items. Maybe a 100% chance to learn the recipe when REing an orange item?