Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Augmentation Slots 1.2 ?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Augmentation Slots 1.2 ?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Darth_Rathus's Avatar


Darth_Rathus
03.13.2012 , 08:44 AM | #1
Does anyone know if we'll have the option to add augmentation slots to gear we're currently wearing, or will we need to rearn/rebuy the gear?

Lonestrum's Avatar


Lonestrum
03.13.2012 , 09:03 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Rathus View Post
Does anyone know if we'll have the option to add augmentation slots to gear we're currently wearing, or will we need to rearn/rebuy the gear?
as it is right now the gear you can craft can already have augment slots. but most people want to wear teir gear cause its teh best. what 1.2 is allowing us to do is move the set bonus from teir gear to orange gear. so we can look anyway we want. THe nice this is they are adding augment slots to orange gear crafts. so any NEW items you craft will have a chance to have augment slots.

anyone right now wearing orange gear over raid gear/pvp is doing it wrong.

Rhaphael's Avatar


Rhaphael
03.13.2012 , 09:14 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Rathus View Post
Does anyone know if we'll have the option to add augmentation slots to gear we're currently wearing, or will we need to rearn/rebuy the gear?
AFAIK it is currently not known if they will make a mechanic to create augment slots on existing orange gear. But if they don't, most vendor/quest oranges will become useless....

GeorgZoeller's Avatar


GeorgZoeller
03.13.2012 , 08:26 PM | #4 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by Rhaphael View Post
AFAIK it is currently not known if they will make a mechanic to create augment slots on existing orange gear. But if they don't, most vendor/quest oranges will become useless....
With Game Update 1.2, we will enable the creation of augment slotted items through various crafting professions.

You will not be able to retrofit existing items with augment slots, but this is something we're discussing internally as 'we probably want to add this', so any of your feedback is worthwhile to us. If/when we offer that option, it will be added in a way that does not devalue the crafter community.

Regarding augments in general, we are NOT increasing the power level of augments. The current top level augments in the game will, for 1.2. at least, remain the most powerful augments in the game. Reverse engineering for augments will be added as well (for the appropriate professions), so any augments already obtained before 1.2. should retain their value.

DralenBrand's Avatar


DralenBrand
03.14.2012 , 03:15 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by GeorgZoeller View Post
With Game Update 1.2, we will enable the creation of augment slotted items through various crafting professions.

You will not be able to retrofit existing items with augment slots, but this is something we're discussing internally as 'we probably want to add this', so any of your feedback is worthwhile to us. If/when we offer that option, it will be added in a way that does not devalue the crafter community.

Regarding augments in general, we are NOT increasing the power level of augments. The current top level augments in the game will, for 1.2. at least, remain the most powerful augments in the game. Reverse engineering for augments will be added as well (for the appropriate professions), so any augments already obtained before 1.2. should retain their value.
First - thanks for the info Georg. Second, I do think that retrofitting existing OJ armor to have augment slots is a great idea, but to protect that crafting community (and I am not really a crafter myself but enjoy buying from them and gathering) may I suggest that crafters do the retro-fitting as an added part of the crafting crew skill for whoever crafts augments? I think that would keep it in the crafting community.

Lastly, my main toon is a slicer: am I losing the ability to gather pretty purple mods in slicing missions now that mods will be craftable? That would suck - a lot (imho).

Thanks!
"Not with my box of bunnies."

Dralen Brand, Member
Stay Classy Guild: Website|SWTOR Forum

JoyProtocol's Avatar


JoyProtocol
03.14.2012 , 03:22 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by DralenBrand View Post
First - thanks for the info Georg. Second, I do think that retrofitting existing OJ armor to have augment slots is a great idea, but to protect that crafting community (and I am not really a crafter myself but enjoy buying from them and gathering) may I suggest that crafters do the retro-fitting as an added part of the crafting crew skill for whoever crafts augments? I think that would keep it in the crafting community.

Lastly, my main toon is a slicer: am I losing the ability to gather pretty purple mods in slicing missions now that mods will be craftable? That would suck - a lot (imho).

Thanks!
Last I've heard, Slicers will now produce ALL the mats for Augments. So you will probably get purple mats that EVERYONE will want.

Salryc's Avatar


Salryc
03.14.2012 , 03:23 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by GeorgZoeller View Post
With Game Update 1.2, we will enable the creation of augment slotted items through various crafting professions.

You will not be able to retrofit existing items with augment slots, but this is something we're discussing internally as 'we probably want to add this', so any of your feedback is worthwhile to us. If/when we offer that option, it will be added in a way that does not devalue the crafter community.

Regarding augments in general, we are NOT increasing the power level of augments. The current top level augments in the game will, for 1.2. at least, remain the most powerful augments in the game. Reverse engineering for augments will be added as well (for the appropriate professions), so any augments already obtained before 1.2. should retain their value.
Many of us are "gear addicts" and like not only stats but also appearances. We want to have characters that look unique - which is not as easy in this game as in others, except through gear. Our characters matter to us, and unlike in many MMOs, in SWTOR we actually get to SEE them a lot (via conversations cinematics).

Players, like myself, have been acquiring matching sets of gear since early access, and to suddenly make that gear sub-par will make a lot of very angry gamers - and you should know that we gamers love our rage fests!

Conversely, I can see the reasoning behind this, to a point. The problem that is glaring (the gorilla in the room) is that many of the amour sets are not complete at this time, at least not in orange. Parts of a set are obtained through flashpoints, heroics, and crafted items, with the end result being a mish mash of running all over the game. That is entertaining for some the first time, but few of us are just dieing to do it again.

Yes, I admit, I am a gear addict. I currently have 12 sets of matching armour, with 5 more sets that I can not find all the pieces for, or the same name pieces do not truly match (green and white head, chest, legs, with a yellow and purple set of boots, as an example).

If the change allows crafters to gain access to all schematics for the matching set, then I see no reason not to retro fit old gear, BUT, if that is not the case then older gear will need to be retro fitted.

See, I really have no interest in running a level 21 heroic to get a "bind on pickup" helmet that is the only one that matches the set I love, just so I can have an augment slot. Instead, I won't buy that 13th set of armour from the crafters (or in my case the set of schematics from the GTN, since I took armour crafting). Diatium Onslaught greaves are a good example; I've NEVER seen a chest that matches. If someone had looted a matching chest, to have a unique set of armour, and thus a unique appearance for their character, only to find that the morning of 1.2, their entire gear and effort is basically worthless, I would understand them being upset about it.

TL' DR - either make a way for augments to be retro fitted, or make sure crafters can have access to schematics for all parts of a set of armour if any piece is crafted.
Luxx Solaris
It's not about how much I'd sell my soul for - It's about how much I can get paid for yours!
December Procrastinator
I will get to it eventually

Buku's Avatar


Buku
03.14.2012 , 03:28 PM | #8
Quote:
You will not be able to retrofit existing items with augment slots, but this is something we're discussing internally as 'we probably want to add this', so any of your feedback is worthwhile to us. If/when we offer that option, it will be added in a way that does not devalue the crafter community.
What about artifact/purple crafted items currently in game? Will we be able to move armor/mod/enhancement items between them and other crafted custom, artifact, and Flashpoint/Operations dropped gear?
I find your lack of faith disturbing.

DralenBrand's Avatar


DralenBrand
03.14.2012 , 03:34 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by JoyProtocol View Post
Last I've heard, Slicers will now produce ALL the mats for Augments. So you will probably get purple mats that EVERYONE will want.


If that is true, then my fears are completely allayed. I am more of a gatherer than a crafter anyway, so this suits my playstyle jsut fine. Thanks for the tip.

"Not with my box of bunnies."

Dralen Brand, Member
Stay Classy Guild: Website|SWTOR Forum

Natarii's Avatar


Natarii
03.14.2012 , 03:35 PM | #10
I agree with Salryc. I have an entire cargo bay filled with just orange armor pieces for 'future' use. I would love to be able to put augment slots on them. I fear, though, that by making something to add augment slots after the fact will negate the incentive to craft items to obtain the augment slot naturally. Perhaps adding a smallstat boost or 'base' stat to 'naturally crit' items along with the augment slot could offset the potential ease of obtaining the augment by itself. This grants relative equal access to augment use, while maintaining the incentive to create and use [Exceptional] gear.
Dark Lord of Altaholics Anonymous
Sword of Ajunta Pall - Sith Empire