Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Aussie Server Maintenance

Lakhesis
03.23.2012 , 12:58 PM | #251
Quote: Originally Posted by StephenReid View Post
While I know no-one wants to lose gaming time on a Friday night, I'm sure you also do not want to endure random server crashes that could occur at any time and with no warning.

We always take unscheduled maintenances very seriously and weigh the pros and cons. In this case we felt it was important enough to conduct this maintenance ASAP. As soon as the decision was made, the maintenance timing was communicated.
Maintenance *is* a server crash from a customer PoV. It's just one with a pre-arranged time (and that generally takes longer).

Bioware might take it seriously & weight pros and cons, but apparently it comes down in favour of the Pro-Shutdown more often than any other MMO I've ever seen.

I'm currently still playing because I'm really enjoying the whole RP thing of leveling, but this sort of corporate behaviour & the over-hasty, inconsiderate, decisions-from-on-high, non-MMO-oriented design approach has got me to the point where I'm actively badmouthing your product rather than recommending it to people I talk to.

I still enjoy the essence of the game enough to say that in the company forums, cos I'd like the issues to change, but this sort of management style is killing it for me.

Dramatic changes, quick changes, inconsiderate changes and balance changes are things which have the potential to cripple MMO communities & need to be indulged in cautiously, and lordy but Bioware loves all of the above. Over eager (i.e. inconsiderate) proactive maintenances are the tip of a poor MMO culture within the company imo, and it's getting harder for me as a player to ignore as time goes on.

In an MMO it's not just about making the game better - it's also about not making the game worse.
0.00008 light speed? But that's only a lousy 86,000 kph!

Iiyria
03.23.2012 , 02:28 PM | #252
We are the Borg(US) your servers and subs will be collected into our own thus advancing Borg awesomeness surender your monnies and we'll add your financial distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is Futile. Swtor belongs to Murika

Petromir
03.23.2012 , 02:35 PM | #253
Quote: Originally Posted by lollie View Post
Also if people wanted to play on another server region they could just install the game twice or more (same as with test server) and simply patch that on a different schedule.

Problem solved - give us separate maintenance times
Because I can afford the SSD space for 2 installs........

And separate maintenance times causes issues with favouritism claims etc, just as much as this does.

All systems cause grief, there is no perfect system

Dsan
03.23.2012 , 08:31 PM | #254
I'm still LOVING the idea of a rotating schedule of global downtimes (downtime is in US offpeak one week, EU offpeak next week, AU/NZ/AP off peak the following week etc)...

Everyone is happy - Bioware get their planetwide downtime, every subscriber gets the same amount of downtime over the course of a month or so. I guess the only ones that might complain would be the US subscribers because they get ABSOLUTELY NO DOWNTIME at the moment. It seems to be the most fair and equal way to handle global downtimes where multiple timezones are concerned.

What do you guys think?
Light side or dark side, Republic or Empire - they're all the same to me...
I go where the force leads...

JRonnie
03.23.2012 , 11:53 PM | #255
As mentioned by Blaine Christine (Senior Producer, Live Services) in March 2nd's Q&A, unfortunately at this time we're unable to run separate maintenance windows for different regions. All of The Old Republic's game servers are in the same service environment. The upside is that players have no restrictions on where they can play - something many players in Oceanic regions continue to benefit from. The downside is that we have to bring all servers down for maintenance at the same time. Our global maintenance time was chosen because it is when the lowest number of players - globally - are on the game servers.

That said, bringing servers down on a Friday night in any time zone is not something we do lightly. In this case, there were several server-side fixes we had to conduct (see the brief patch notes here) to ensure continued stability of the game. While I know no-one wants to lose gaming time on a Friday night, I'm sure you also do not want to endure random server crashes that could occur at any time and with no warning.

We always take unscheduled maintenances very seriously and weigh the pros and cons. In this case we felt it was important enough to conduct this maintenance ASAP. As soon as the decision was made, the maintenance timing was communicated.

Again I apologize for the inconvenience, but for the overall stability of the service, this maintenance was required.
Fair enough mate, but Friday and Saturday nights maintenance really do have to be a 'last resort' thing. It's twice now I've seen it and it really has to be a very rare thing.

Iiyria
03.23.2012 , 11:59 PM | #256
Quote: Originally Posted by Dsan View Post
I'm still LOVING the idea of a rotating schedule of global downtimes (downtime is in US offpeak one week, EU offpeak next week, AU/NZ/AP off peak the following week etc)...

Everyone is happy - Bioware get their planetwide downtime, every subscriber gets the same amount of downtime over the course of a month or so. I guess the only ones that might complain would be the US subscribers because they get ABSOLUTELY NO DOWNTIME at the moment. It seems to be the most fair and equal way to handle global downtimes where multiple timezones are concerned.

What do you guys think?
Once again thats not exactly true at 3am mountain (Arizona time) there are 300 people in fleet. 150 on dromund kaas) changing this downtime will surely anger these after midnight warriors

Iiyria
03.24.2012 , 12:17 AM | #257
The maintenance time other countries deserve but is it the one they need ?
Bioware was gonna fix your maintenance times but then they took an arrow to the knee.
U mad bros?

Micksteroo
03.25.2012 , 03:08 PM | #258
As long as Bioware have their heads stuck you know where, things will never change. Keep cancelling those subs people, if they can't please their customers then they don't deserve our money.

Dafpants
03.25.2012 , 05:31 PM | #259
That said, bringing servers down on a Friday night in any time zone is not something we do lightly. In this case, there were several server-side fixes we had to conduct (see the brief patch notes here) to ensure continued stability of the game. While I know no-one wants to lose gaming time on a Friday night, I'm sure you also do not want to endure random server crashes that could occur at any time and with no warning.

Again I apologize for the inconvenience, but for the overall stability of the service, this maintenance was required.
By this stage we're not doubting that the maintenance was actually required.
We were arguing at the time of the announcement, however, that if this patch was so critical, if "it was important enough to conduct this maintenance ASAP", why did you wait 12-14 hours to patch the servers?
The servers could have been patched and back up again three times over between when the maintenance was announced and the servers finally went down.
Duct tape is like The Force; it has a light said and a dark side and it holds the universe together.
While I always try to provide correct and meaningful information I have been known to make mistakes, from time to time.

Micksteroo
03.25.2012 , 05:39 PM | #260
Quote: Originally Posted by Dafpants View Post
By this stage we're not doubting that the maintenance was actually required.
We were arguing at the time of the announcement, however, that if this patch was so critical, if "it was important enough to conduct this maintenance ASAP", why did you wait 12-14 hours to patch the servers?
The servers could have been patched and back up again three times over between when the maintenance was announced and the servers finally went down.
They waited 12-14 hours so they didn't inconvenience their home US players. Why not inconvenience the rest of the world? No biggie surely...