Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Aussie Server Maintenance


Turkman's Avatar


Turkman
03.23.2012 , 09:24 AM | #241
Quote: Originally Posted by MajikMyst View Post
You would be incorrect.. To do maintenance on all the servers, they have to all be brought down..

Welcome to a world wide service in a connected society.. Nothing wierd about it..

I fail to see why these threads have to be created every Monday night.. Nobody likes maintenance.. But we all have to deal with it..
simply because it's rubbish to have the same downtime in the whole world. I know it's because otherwise you couldn't access servers from every area or some stuff like this.
Now guess what? I couldn't care less if I wasn't able to play on a server from the US or Australia. I'm European so I play on a European server. Period.

I know that there might be some who have friends on another continent and so on. But if you're really dedicated you can always overcome such prohibitions. I mean how did so many Australians manage to play the game before it came out in their area? And they could've easily fixed that by binding the game copy to an area. So when you go to origin you could've decided if you wanted an US, European or Oceanic version of the game and thus be commited but still able to play with your friends.

I'm pretty sure I wasn't able to log onto US Servers in WoW and it worked fine. But with this stupid policy they are really only pissing off a lot of customers. I mean I'm European so I don't get the full shaft, but as an Aussie it's unacceptable not being to play one day a week. I really hope you only have to pay 6/7 of the subscription.

Turkman's Avatar


Turkman
03.23.2012 , 09:35 AM | #242
Quote: Originally Posted by Mater_energy View Post
The reason why they can not do region specific maintenance is very obvious.

Everyone that plays SWTOR launches the exact same launcher that connects to the exact same authentication and patch server.
The client for SWTOR is exactly the same for everyone it is not region locked.
So what this means is if they patch the game everyone downloads the patch the next time they login to the launcher. Meaning every server that we play on has to have the corresponding patch installed ready for players to connect to that server.

What would happen if they did region specific maintenance/patching is that the first region to get a patch would force everyone to download the patch. If your particular server had not gone through maintenance yet you would not be able to connect to it because of mismatched versions, so you would then have to wait until your server goes through maintenance.

Its the negative to giving your customers the ability to choose to play on any server they want, including those out of their region.
Well I'm pretty sure they would be able to come up with a new launcher for each area and thus be able to separate the server maintenance times IF they really wanted to.

Of course it would take some time to fix this, but I really don't know why on earth they thought this system we have now would be a good idea in the first place. At least to me it was very obvious the first time the servers went down in the afternoon during christmas holidays that this system sucked. It took me 5 seconds to figure that out. And they knew about their system for months in advance.

As a European I can normally live with our downtimes as it's during average worktime. But let's not forget about all the schoolkids, students and unemployed that make up a good share of the playerbase in each MMO I've played up to now. And of course the players from the Oceanic area get totally screwed at least one time a week and, more often than not, even twice or thrice.

So they may not be able to do something about it for the time being but I really can't stress enough that some person in charge did a very poor job with this (and of course a lot of other technical and design flaws the game has)

Terraco's Avatar


Terraco
03.23.2012 , 09:37 AM | #243
Quote: Originally Posted by Mater_energy View Post
What would happen if they did region specific maintenance/patching is that the first region to get a patch would force everyone to download the patch. If your particular server had not gone through maintenance yet you would not be able to connect to it because of mismatched versions, so you would then have to wait until your server goes through maintenance..
Add a drop down menu to the launcher. US, EU, AU.
Launcher patches at appropriate times for the appropriate selection. Changing it prompts it to download up to date files for your new location selection. Or switch to them if they were previously downloaded.

That took me 1 minute to think of. I'm sure that if they actually tried, Bioware could easily come up with something better.

TheOnlyKyrenS's Avatar


TheOnlyKyrenS
03.23.2012 , 09:39 AM | #244
I shall refer you all to this.
Quote: Originally Posted by corbanite View Post
oh great more constructive criticism.. god knows why some people think there are haters on this forum

Turkman's Avatar


Turkman
03.23.2012 , 09:48 AM | #245
Quote: Originally Posted by TheOnlyKyrenS View Post
I shall refer you all to this.
And what insight should we gain from this reference?
It has little to do with the fact that the server downtimes suck, or did I miss something?

Terraco's Avatar


Terraco
03.23.2012 , 09:52 AM | #246
Quote: Originally Posted by TheOnlyKyrenS View Post
I shall refer you all to this.
You mean to remind us that the EULA won't require them to fix the problems we have?

Gee, maybe we should go to the forums to make our grievances known and try to get the issue raised with them that way.

After all, its in their best interest to improve the service so fewer people leave the game right?

Thanks for the reminder dude.

Mater_energy's Avatar


Mater_energy
03.23.2012 , 10:02 AM | #247
Quote: Originally Posted by Terraco View Post
Add a drop down menu to the launcher. US, EU, AU.
Launcher patches at appropriate times for the appropriate selection. Changing it prompts it to download up to date files for your new location selection. Or switch to them if they were previously downloaded.

That took me 1 minute to think of. I'm sure that if they actually tried, Bioware could easily come up with something better.
The thing you are ignoring is that Bioware made the design decision to all all players to play on any server from any region. Your solution would make it so that their design has to be that of region locks, Which is not how they sold the game. They stated you can play on any server you want.

Now most of you here do not care about playing on servers from different regions, but other players do.

Personally I do not care if they region lock the game, I am just giving you the logical reason why it is this way currently.

Now the question is why can't they shift the maintenance time two hours later and start at 4 am CST. The only reason for this that I can think of is that if maintenance runs long (say 8 hours), the servers would be down until 12:00 CST which starts interfering with European play times after work?

Turkman's Avatar


Turkman
03.23.2012 , 10:07 AM | #248
Quote: Originally Posted by Mater_energy View Post
The thing you are ignoring is that Bioware made the design decision to all all players to play on any server from any region. Your solution would make it so that their design has to be that of region locks, Which is not how they sold the game. They stated you can play on any server you want.

Now most of you here do not care about playing on servers from different regions, but other players do.

Personally I do not care if they region lock the game, I am just giving you the logical reason why it is this way currently.
But wouldn't a pull down menu where you can choose from the three current zones solve that problem? I totally understand that they shouldn't lock out players from the servers they are at now. But I think the solution he has presented solves this problem too.

lollie's Avatar


lollie
03.23.2012 , 10:10 AM | #249
Quote: Originally Posted by Turkman View Post
But wouldn't a pull down menu where you can choose from the three current zones solve that problem? I totally understand that they shouldn't lock out players from the servers they are at now. But I think the solution he has presented solves this problem too.
Also if people wanted to play on another server region they could just install the game twice or more (same as with test server) and simply patch that on a different schedule.

Problem solved - give us separate maintenance times

CAUTION: DO NOT LOAD SWTOR UNLESS YOU HAVE AFTER-MARKET COOLING INSTALLED!!

_______________________

Terraco's Avatar


Terraco
03.23.2012 , 10:10 AM | #250
Quote: Originally Posted by Mater_energy View Post
The thing you are ignoring is that Bioware made the design decision to all all players to play on any server from any region. Your solution would make it so that their design has to be that of region locks, Which is not how they sold the game. They stated you can play on any server you want.
The thing you are ignoring is what I wrote.
What part of a drop down menu to swap between versions strikes you as a region lock? The inconvenience of reloading the launcher to change to a different one?