Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Aussie Server Maintenance


JerokTalram's Avatar


JerokTalram
03.15.2012 , 08:43 AM | #131
Quote: Originally Posted by jamews View Post
i did a little searching over why BW would decide to do maint the way they do and found this

As more and more companies are acquiring other companies with different and disparate databases there are complexities that come from merger and integration of the IT applications. Even in the organic growth, when a company grows across geographies, it is seen that multiple SAP systems may need to be merged.

In such situations, one major question that every CIO grapples with is should one have One Single SAP Global Instance or Separate Regional Instances.

TO properly evaluate, there are many things that need to think through. The pros and cons of the two different alternatives are a good startiing point for that evaluation and discussion.

Single Global Instance(maint)

Advantages

Maximum utilisation of SAP Functional Integration
Forces standardisation or commonality
Lower cost of on-going maintenance
Organisation-wide operational reporting is standard

Disadvantages

Various technical constraints that have to be managed
The online Transactional volume is heavy 24 hrs a day
Response time considerations across global WAN
Inability to accurately estimate client/server workload
More Business Unit impact when system unavailable

Separate Regional Instances (maint)

Advantages

Provides the greatest configuration flexibility between regions
Allows diversity
Reduces the issues with Technical Constraints

Disadvantages

Multiple separate data bases
SAP Functional Integration is limited
Organisation-wide operational reporting is non-standard
Cost of on-going maintenance is Higher
Commonality is manually maintained and is not forced by the software
What does SAP have to do with SWTOR? I'm sure the Hero Engine isn't using SAP.

Kaphik's Avatar


Kaphik
03.15.2012 , 08:45 AM | #132
Quote: Originally Posted by utio View Post
Sorry, could you explain a bit more. You say money, then don't give any details.
Ok is it that hard to understand? For separate maintenance windows BioWare would have to higher more people to perform the patches or pay additional overtime for the same people to add in multiple shifts. I'm assuming a lot of the people deploying the patches work during the day and do the patches at a different time than they are used to working because I have a similar job where planned maintenance must occur at night so my work schedule changes accordingly. That change is not easy on the body and mind, especially if it's every few weeks or so. So BioWare loses some productivity, and plus they now have added costs incurred at night. Everything from overtime pay if applicable to increased costs of running the operation however minimal in comparison to day to day costs.

That all costs money. Adding in separate times increases that cost. Since BioWare and EA are in this business to make profit so they can continue to provide us with entertainment, I am positive that some decisions have been made to help their finances. Right now, I'm pretty confident that the simple reasoning behind a single maintenance comes down to cost. I am also highly confident that the benefits of changing that schedule will justify increased costs as the revenue grows. Remember, you haven't even had your own servers for a single full month yet!

Warouth's Avatar


Warouth
03.15.2012 , 08:48 AM | #133
Quote: Originally Posted by JerokTalram View Post
What does SAP have to do with SWTOR? I'm sure the Hero Engine isn't using SAP.
They have the same problems.

Kindara's Avatar


Kindara
03.15.2012 , 08:49 AM | #134
Quote: Originally Posted by jayssen View Post
Correct, they don't have to pull down all the servers at the same time.....Bioware just seem to think that its cool to state they provide a world wide service that runs all at the same time. Weird.

Personally you would think it would be better customer service to not pull servers down during prime time....they'd win more fans that way.

Meanwhile, brace yourself for this thread to be flooded with the usual "sorry I'm alive" crowd that seem to think we must accept everything every company does without question, and just be greatful we can give them our money.
You ever consider the maintence team is primarily in America they can't exactly work 24 hours a day 7 days a week to suite everyone. If you want seperate server times try playing a game that "contracts" people to maintain their servers *cough Warhammer Online incident* and see how things go then. You'll always be Miffed off you had to wait a couple of days in order to get what American servers already have.

Finally after years of crying a game offers global servers you can play on any one you want and you cry anyway so you know what no one reallyc ares anymore. You'll cry no matter what so whatever.

As for another poster spouting Anti American blah blah blah whatever. Bioware is a Canadian company.

JerokTalram's Avatar


JerokTalram
03.15.2012 , 09:01 AM | #135
Quote: Originally Posted by Niqole View Post
There is the option of zero down time updates. I work for a software company that provides such solutions for telecomunications companies.

It's possible, they chhose not to do it, which is unfortunate.
If you do work for a telecommunications software company, you would know how to spell telecommunications and wouldn't be making sure delibrately misleading statements.

1) Telecommunications companies have to maintain 5 - 9s uptime. SWTOR does not.

2) A lot of telecommunications hardware runs on Realtime OSes such as Linux and while it is possible to do live updates to software, there is always a downtime. A running application has to be told to reload itself and libraries it's using after an update. Now that may only take a few seconds but it is still a downtime. You can't relink a running application without halting what it is doing and every time it halt it is not providing it's service.

3) Downtime for services is avoided by Redundant Services. If you want to patch one machine, you replace it with another and then patch it. Thus no downtime.

Surgin's Avatar


Surgin
03.15.2012 , 09:07 AM | #136
Quote: Originally Posted by Valorian View Post
Ever heard of the saying i'm alright jack! its not a couple of hours and would your reaction be the same if this was happening to you?

2 Kids walk in a shop to buy some sweets they have the same amount of money and buy the same items, but one kid ends up getting less cashier says "well he lives further down the street from you" is this the right attitude.
8 hours or less out of 168 hours in a week is a couple hours. I have also seen lots on times where the server goes up 2 hours after they went down. Since I tend to play the hours the servers go down already even though I am in America.

And yes my reaction would be the exact same, hell I wish they would switch the hours but then there would just have a whole new group of people crying on the forums "IT'S NOT FAIR!"

God this whole entitlement generation is just killing the world with the constant temper tantrums, the people throwing a fit here are the probably same ones that think because they are paying for college and show up to all the classes they should automatically pass or the people who move out to farm country and then complain about the smell from the animals.

utio's Avatar


utio
03.15.2012 , 09:09 AM | #137
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaphik View Post
Ok is it that hard to understand? For separate maintenance windows BioWare would have to higher more people to perform the patches or pay additional overtime for the same people to add in multiple shifts. I'm assuming a lot of the people deploying the patches work during the day and do the patches at a different time than they are used to working because I have a similar job where planned maintenance must occur at night so my work schedule changes accordingly. That change is not easy on the body and mind, especially if it's every few weeks or so. So BioWare loses some productivity, and plus they now have added costs incurred at night. Everything from overtime pay if applicable to increased costs of running the operation however minimal in comparison to day to day costs.

That all costs money. Adding in separate times increases that cost. Since BioWare and EA are in this business to make profit so they can continue to provide us with entertainment, I am positive that some decisions have been made to help their finances. Right now, I'm pretty confident that the simple reasoning behind a single maintenance comes down to cost. I am also highly confident that the benefits of changing that schedule will justify increased costs as the revenue grows. Remember, you haven't even had your own servers for a single full month yet!
Ok, there's no need to be rude. If you write a post giving the reason as money you should really go into more detail. Money encompasses alot of things.
That aside, you are mistaken in thinking they can't afford it. They may not want to pay more, but that's tough. Don't sell to different timezones if you don't want to give them the same service. Simple.
And another thing, it would cost no more if they changed shift patterns every month or so, so any point you had is null.
PROPER SPACE COMBAT PLEASE

Boritoo's Avatar


Boritoo
03.15.2012 , 09:10 AM | #138
Actually they wouldn't need to "region lock" players at all to have separate maintenance schedules.

On maintenance nights, you might have to wait to play on a server in a different timezone from you.

So for example, the Asia Pacific server would update first (GMT+10) then the EU servers (GMT) then the US servers (GMT-8).

Each region would be still be able to play in their own peak times but would be "locked" from accessing other servers 1> while that server was down for maintenance 2> if their client hadn't yet been updated for a new patch and the other server had.

Surely this would satisfy more customers than the current arrangement. Everyone gets to play on their own server in their own peak playtime, noone is "region locked" and the only time you can't access ALL the servers in all regions is when the server for a region other than your own is down or (for a fraction of one day) is patched to a different version than you.

utio's Avatar


utio
03.15.2012 , 09:16 AM | #139
Quote: Originally Posted by Kindara View Post
You ever consider the maintence team is primarily in America they can't exactly work 24 hours a day 7 days a week to suite everyone. If you want seperate server times try playing a game that "contracts" people to maintain their servers *cough Warhammer Online incident* and see how things go then. You'll always be Miffed off you had to wait a couple of days in order to get what American servers already have.

Finally after years of crying a game offers global servers you can play on any one you want and you cry anyway so you know what no one reallyc ares anymore. You'll cry no matter what so whatever.

As for another poster spouting Anti American blah blah blah whatever. Bioware is a Canadian company.
There should be no anti americanisms, I agree. It's pointless blaming someone's nationality on anything. That's kinda the point here. We are all customers, no matter where we live. We all pay the same, we all should get treated the same.
PROPER SPACE COMBAT PLEASE

Valorian's Avatar


Valorian
03.15.2012 , 09:49 AM | #140
Quote: Originally Posted by Surgin View Post
8 hours or less out of 168 hours in a week is a couple hours. I have also seen lots on times where the server goes up 2 hours after they went down. Since I tend to play the hours the servers go down already even though I am in America.

And yes my reaction would be the exact same, hell I wish they would switch the hours but then there would just have a whole new group of people crying on the forums "IT'S NOT FAIR!"

God this whole entitlement generation is just killing the world with the constant temper tantrums, the people throwing a fit here are the probably same ones that think because they are paying for college and show up to all the classes they should automatically pass or the people who move out to farm country and then complain about the smell from the animals.
You have not allowed for sleep work eating in your calculations

So you believe that its fine that no service is supplied from 6pm to 2am its not about self entitlement its about being fair.